Preview Round 11 2019 - North Melbourne Vs Richmond, Friday 31/5, Docklands Stadium 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel sorry for the Blighters (pun intended) going to the footy tonight.
Docklands is freezing, real feel will be 6 degrees.
Went to one of the great North games in the 90s.
A night game at the G against the Doggies.
I think the lead changed five times in the final quarter.

Why do we always have to play these minnows at docklands? This is their Marquee game and their only chance to play a home game in front of 50k plus and it's not at the G. More of our fans travel interstate than marvel.

Because it is our home game.

Feel sorry for the Blighters (pun intended) going to the footy tonight.
Docklands is freezing, real feel will be 6 degrees.
Went to one of the great North games in the 90s.
A night game at the G against the Doggies.
I think the lead changed five times in the final quarter.

Round 22 (or whatever the last game of the home and away was) 1998, first v second for top spot, circa 70k.

Young Boomer Harvey won it for us.

Butler has a couple of strong suits, pace and skill. He has never put his body on the line like regularly Rioli does. I have rarely seen him win a hard ball one on one contest, hence nearly all his possessions are lose ball gathers or handball receives. He went back to the VFL and played the best game I have seen from him with 10 contested possessions out of about 18. That is what they might have been waiting for. He could play like Nathan Foley with his explosive pace, but doesn't put his nose over the ball. This is not anything about courage, but habits he has gotten into. And it can be fixed, so in that respect it fits with the idea that development is lineal. Butler has too much talent to be wasted in the 2's, but he has flaws, just as most players do.
Even in our Premiership year he had 9 games with under 10 disposals.
Rioli had 8 games under 10 disposals in our premiership year, George had 9, and for what it's worth both Butler and Rioli averaged 4.5 contested possessions in 2017.
Do you have assess to Dimma and forward coaches game plan and kpi for Buttler? Pressure, not amassing possessions was our 3 small forwards job in 2017 (still is) Butler had 2 fewer tackles and 5 more goals and 4 more assists than Rioli in 2017 despite Rioli playing 2 extra games.. All three played their role to perfection.
And on the premiership year, his game was still good enough to win the Cosgrove best first year player and make the aflpa under 22 squad (Rioli made the bench) so he must have had a decent year.

It was a cracker of a match.
I remember one passage of play when Archer burst through the pack.
They had an array of elite talented players.
Plough was the Doggies coach.
I remember the year too because my accountant was a Chilean immigrant.
Romero was his footy hero.
That was the year the Doggies lost the prelim.

Last edited:
It was a cracker of a match.
I remember one passage of play when Archer burst through the pack.
They had an array of elite talented players.
Plough was the Doggies coach.

Belter of a game. James Cook could have won it for the Dogs but kicked crap.

Why don't we ever have a home game at the G against you lot?

Dunno - we used to play there a fair bit.

Probably because you're such a giant massive club your MCG games are only for other giant massive clubs.

This will be North's 4th straight home game V us?? Definitely is penciled in as their marquee game.

Yeah, look at all the pre-game promo we're doing, like with Good Friday.

It is just the same.

Surely you guys play at least 1-2 home games at the G?

Ummmm, nah, we don't.

Are you only just working out we left the MCG - it was two decades ago or so now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember my dad went to the 1977 Grand Final draw.
He was on telly, in the crowd, for a brief instant.
Any team which knocks off Collingwood in a grand final gets a seal of approval.
We will have to get the job done.

We did it the extra troll way too. Made them think they were in it, then BAM!

Serious question - if Brown only plays one role one way, then Tom Lynch?

He's not exactly bringing maniacal forward pressure either?

Lynch, when fully fit, is also a very good lead up player. I don't see Brown adding that extra dimension to his play. That isn't to say Ben Brown isn't very very good. He's an elite KPF. He plays that main target very well. But that's what he does.

Right now Lynch is starting to add that lead up, outlet target. When fully going, especially with Jack R back, he'll be moving between the defensive 50 and full forward.

But yes, Lynch does need to bring more forward pressure to fully fit into the Tiger line up. He's OK for a FF. And that's only just a pass for us. JR brings a complete game, and you can see that Tom doesn't.

That's pretty much how I see it.

Placed Richmond 1-24 in one of my multi's ($3.10)

Higgins 30+($1.70)
Brown & Lynch to tie on goals ($5.00)
Richmond 1-24 ($3.10)
GWS (head to head)/over 156.5 points total ($1.95 )

Value: $51.38

Slapped a fiver on it.
You should have included Brandon Ellis to get 30+ tonight , He will be looking to impress his new team mates

It's 4th Vs 14th in the annual Dustin Martin Cup.

View attachment 683562

Richmond have won 6 of their last 7 games and are sitting pretty in 4th spot after 10 games. An injury ravaged season has done little to sap the momentum of a team on a mission.It's becoming more obvious each week that we are serious flag contenders even if Rance can't come back.

North Melbourne have been very dissapointing and are now seemingly in disarray. The Brad Scott fiasco played out in the media and incredibly David King was bumped and abused by an angry Brad Scott.
Richmond has defeated North in the last two games between the clubs at the Docklands.

WHO'S COACHING NORTH MELBOURNE?
Good question.With still a year left on his contract, Brad Scott has been boned and former Collingwood/Sydney accumulator RHYCE SHAW is caretaker coach.

View attachment 681336

A TALE OF TWO OPPOSITES
Richmond are the biggest sporting club in Australasia with a healthy bank account and 100,000 genuine members.Our recruiting has been outstanding with players like Baker, Stack, Ross and Balta out performing higher draft picks.
North on the other hand are struggling on and off the field .

THE GAME
Richmond will bring in Soldo and Lambert if fit. CCJ will go out as will probably Menadue. There is a chance Sir Sydney Stack could be rested as well. He's an extremely courageous player, he backed back into packs numerous times on Saturday. North's team will stay much the same.
It was a serviceable debut from Callum Coleman-Jones but Soldo should take his spot back this week.
View attachment 681339

We will need Soldo's bigger body against the in form Goldstein.
View attachment 681350
It's great to see Dusty injury free and playing super football. I expect him to play a corker. Thanks again Dusty for taking less money and staying at Tigerland .
I've always liked Liam Baker and he has cemented his place in the side with his ability to find the ball and use it well.
View attachment 681356
Noah Balta is probably the most exciting young player in the league and just keeps improving each week.

Noah Balta and the umpire share a romantic moment.
View attachment 681344

Houli is in some great form and is showing great leadership.
We will need Grimes and Astbury to nullify Ben Brown and we should stick close to Shaun Higgins
Rhyce Shaw will have his hands full trying to stop the Richmond forwards. North have conceded the most points of any team this year.
I can't see how North can stop us scoring, Richmond by 37 points.

*LATE EDIT- Premiership Captain and Brownlow medalist Trent Cotchin is likely to return this week!
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/tigers-skipper-cotchin-close-to-afl-return
View attachment 683558
Love that you used our Captains correct title - Premiership Captain and Brownlow medallist Trent Cotchin.

Rioli had 8 games under 10 disposals in our premiership year, George had 9, and for what it's worth both Butler and Rioli averaged 4.5 contested possessions in 2017.
Do you have assess to Dimma and forward coaches game plan and kpi for Buttler? Pressure, not amassing possessions was our 3 small forwards job in 2017 (still is) Butler had 2 fewer tackles and 5 more goals and 4 more assists than Rioli in 2017 despite Rioli playing 2 extra games.. All three played their role to perfection.
And on the premiership year, his game was still good enough to win the Cosgrove best first year player and make the aflpa under 22 squad (Rioli made the bench) so he must have had a decent year.
Yet all three have consistently had justified criticisms of their games right throughout including 2017 and those criticisms are still relevant today.

Imo they have all stagnated are all only performing a specific role failing to add to their games.
Just on pressure yeah sure that are quick they chase and harass but none of them lay a lot of tackles and in a lot cases their tackles are ineffective. they dont kick a hell of a lot of goals and they just dont accumulate a lot of ball and lastly after 4 yrs none of them has become an effective consistent part of rotations taking pressure of the other mids in the process.The opposite happens it places pressure on our mids to play well every week with little let up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back