Review Round 11, 2020 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a great win by Port. Playing with great spirit at the moment.

The game was in the balance at 3QT and Port went bang bang bang. That's the mark of a serious team.

I'm a WC fan. I'll back the Eagles if we run into each other at the business end but Port are playing great footy at the moment.

How good was Robbie? Really thought the game was passing him by but he's building some beautiful form now.

Ollie was huge. Still love the lad and hope he sticks around.
Never in doubt! He wants finals and he’s been timing his peak for the later part of the season for the last few years now

I was at the game with El Zorro and a couple of others and we were in the last row of seats in Aisle 215 on western side. The aisle finished at row Q. About 10 minutes in we both jumped out of our seats and abused the umpire and one of us said I'm gonna stay staying and we did. The other 2 joined in and we all stood up for the rest of the game. It wasn't a game to stay seated. We want the same seats for the Hawks game.
Football is a game to watch while standing; be it Association or Australian...

Write a bit more later but the most poignant thing that stood out to me was that we didn't drop our bundle after missing easy goals. Same with the Carlton game. In previous years our wastefulness would drive a stake through our hearts and we'd visibly drop heaps.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

We didn't drop our pressure and commitment but I thought some players skills waned for several minutes. In the past practically the entire side would collapse, so it is much more promising.

I think he has surprised us all

Not if you were a regular Maggies watcher. He just needed to find confidence that he can play at this level. We almost delisted him after one poor year, his second I think, but otherwise his first year he showed uncanny talent basically playing up forward.

We didn't drop our pressure and commitment but I thought some players skills waned for several minutes. In the past practically the entire side would collapse, so it is much more promising.

Not if you were a regular Maggies watcher. He just needed to find confidence that he can play at this level. We almost delisted him after one poor year, his second I think, but otherwise his first year he showed uncanny talent basically playing up forward.
There was always something special about how he moved, but he would just be missing for too long in his first few seasons. He barely got a look in at the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shout out to just how bloody good Eddie's call was last night. Made the game better.

Can hate on the man for many things but give him a game without the Pies involved and he does his job well.
Yeah I have to admit grudging respect for him as a commentator. That said, he can get his grubby hands off our PBs...

I guess he would have been quite happy for a Port win as the drawn game means the Tigers are probably the biggest threat to them making the 4/8.

Watching the game on TV.

We have the most passionate and cutthroat supporters in this sport. I bloody love it.

“Have a listen to this crowd, they are going berserk over there, it’s madness. They’ll tear the place down!” - Eddie McGuire

“I’ve never heard this much noise from a crowd of 10,000. This is exceptional.” - Jason Dunstall

“10k? sounds like 100k! They love their footy the Port Adelaide fanbase, they are a bit like Turkish Delight, You either love em or you don’t really like em at all.” - Dwayne Russell

“I don’t really like them....,Turkish Delight that is.” - Mark Ricciuto

“That’s the problem with Port Adelaide fans in their great beauty, football is way too important.” - Dwayne Russell

I normally do a fair bit of complaining about the commentators, being interstate, I have to watch the game on TV.

but I must say, Russell and Maguire yesterday were very good and Roo didn’t make any stupid comments.

still confused about why Richmond were playing at 1600 and not prime time. Trying to cash in on the live feed into the US?

Started posting this in another thread then realised it belongs here more, on umpiring...

There were some absolute shockers against Port which were memorable, like the Grimes htb non call, the Georgi mark, the robbie push in the back and the Riewoldt free, but a lot of the standard in play 50/50s went our way. There was also 3 times the tiges got ridiculous "not 15" calls down back which put a lot more pressure on their ability to move the ball out of defence (we also had one just as ridiculous "not 15" for a 30m marked pass in to our forward 50).

On balance I dont think the umpiring had much impact on the game. We let them back in through missing opportunities and defensive errors.

What a game it was yesterday! It was a privilege to be a part of the crowd and watch an amazing match. Still plenty of areas that need to be improved upon, particularly set shots at goal, but that is the position you want to be in 11 weeks in.

Ladhams was an absolute star!
Ollie had the best game in 5+ years
Boak was phenomenal and would be deserved of a Brownlow. Trav is the heart of the PAFC.
Robbie was outstanding, hope he continues to be a gun
SPP has been huge this season, has matured so much and is living up to the potential he showed in his first season
Jonas was solid and has the respect of all of the players
Woodcock played so well in his second game and scored a wonderful 1st AFL goal.
Butters, what a gun of a player he is developing into. It is hard to believe that he is still only 19 years old! Zak brings so much to Port and his team mates absolutely love him for it.

This season is starting to highlight the depth we have added to the list over the past couple of seasons, our recruiters deserve praise. We still have so many of our promising youngsters to debut in the future and what fine examples they have had from their young team mates

Hoping Burton, Rozee and Marshall can be fit and strong as we head into finals.

Promising signs for the future.

2 highlights from being there:

1. My Apple Watch gave me a warning on the noise level. Said another 30 mins at that level could be dangerous for my hearing. Didn’t even know the watch did that? How can a 20% full stadium make so much noise?
2. With the random seat allocations, I was much closer to the field than usual. Nick Vlaustin may or may not have heard me call him a sex offender.

That was pretty dangerous by Martin. I don't know if he could be charged for anything, but Clurey could have been decapitated and Riewoldt tunneled.

the umpires let’s the get away with the push in the first so they get going harder until it started getting called

How much stronger has our handball game gotten this year. Goodbye REH's useless ******* handpasses, hello cleverly drawing the tackler then pin pointing a bullet to a team mate out in space.

I'm convinced having a cavalry of quality tall marking targets releases so much psychological pressure on the midfield, knowing they have that long option if they need it. Our midfield is also so much better organised, massive credit to Schofield for the work he's done there.

Shout out to just how bloody good Eddie's call was last night. Made the game better.

Can hate on the man for many things but give him a game without the Pies involved and he does his job well.
Agree. Eddie was great. Dunstall was / is a prick. Don’t mind Riewoldt either. He appreciates Butters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back