Preview Round 14: St. Kilda vs Essendon, Docklands, 17/06/2022 @ 7:50 PM

Do we somehow avoid a loss?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
An experiment which we all hope ends and we can settle him as a KPP
Yup. I think it’s a real gap on the list that they’re desperately trying to fill. We had Langford and then it’s been a stream of “Ridley can play wing” “Cutler can play wing” “Ham can play wing” “Snelling can play wing” “Guelfi can play wing” “Durham can play wing” “Cox can play wing” ever since. (Plus like Martin, Perkins, Zaharakis etc etc).

The list still hasn’t really settled with two quality best 22 wingers and two reasonable depth players that can cover, though I think Durham is promising opposite Langford.

Dude if you’re that determined to be upset about Ham playing a game of football then be my guest 😂

I thought you wanted a genuine answer or discussion but every time you get an answer you find something else to interpret in the most antagonistic way and then be upset about.

He’s not replacing Guelfi. You can hold Guelfi up as a beacon of blue collar attributes if you want but it’s really immaterial.

If the question is “why was he selected ahead of Hird”, then you have your answer.

If the question is about his VFL form, then you have your answer.

If you want to know what the coaches value, then you have your answer.

On that basis selecting Ham is exactly what we should be expecting, and expecting anything else is setting yourself up to be extremely agitated for no real value.

Ham was best 22 last year, and has been emergency most weeks that he hasn’t played.

Hird is yet to debut and was emergency only once when literally everyone else was sick. He will debut when he’s good and ready.

And whether he’s good or not you should have Langford in to take up the post of whipping boy from next week.

And actually, Ham’s one of only 14 players who has played in both of our wins this year, and they both happened to be at Marvel. So there you go.
Team Selection
IN:
Ham

CBombers17

200.gif

Yup. I think it’s a real gap on the list that they’re desperately trying to fill. We had Langford and then it’s been a stream of “Ridley can play wing” “Cutler can play wing” “Ham can play wing” “Snelling can play wing” “Guelfi can play wing” “Durham can play wing” “Cox can play wing” ever since. (Plus like Martin, Perkins, Zaharakis etc etc).

The list still hasn’t really settled with two quality best 22 wingers and two reasonable depth players that can cover, though I think Durham is promising opposite Langford.

Langford, Durham and Martin would all be ahead of Cox as long-term options IMO, whereas a KPP with a tank like Cox can add value at CHB / HBF / HFF / CHF more than pretty much anyone else we've got on the list.

They certainly did, but like I said before, Ham’s running capacity might be of more value to us purely because of what everyone else doesn’t do. What’s the point in picking the extra tall if they’re going to be trailing their man in by 20 metres because the ball is flying in at a rate of knots?

I think we tread this tight rope often because we have a best 22 that is largely incapable of committing to the non negotiables and are just plain unfit.

If we were Freo fit for example I don’t think there is any way Ham would be getting a game but for us at the moment he’s the ‘endurance guy’ that truck calls upon when we need run.

I don’t think he’s a complete lost cause either by the way, wingers tend to come along a little later because they have to learn to stay away from the footy and younger players really struggle with that at times.
You make a rock solid point. Ideally a team gets its run from the same guys we get our hard footy from. And our skilful ball use. We are getting little pieces from each player.

Maybe Ham just needs to have one major Jye Caldwell-like moment where he beelines the ball and takes massive contact, or goes back with the flight and gets poleaxed. It might give him some mindset and belief that he can compete with the men.

Shocked Ham continues to get a run - why..?? Then again we gift Kelly a 3 year deal and keep playing him as well when he does f.all so nothing really shocks me with this club now…what a sad state of affairs

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You should be careful... if you keep talking about these Kelly 3 year deals they might multiply into 9.

You make a rock solid point. Ideally a team gets its run from the same guys we get our hard footy from. And our skilful ball use. We are getting little pieces from each player.

Maybe Ham just needs to have one major Jye Caldwell-like moment where he beelines the ball and takes massive contact, or goes back with the flight and gets poleaxed. It might give him some mindset and belief that he can compete with the men.

Think we’ve had that issue for a long, long time but there are weeks like this where it rears it’s ugly head.

It’s also stopping us from getting games into someone like a Wanganeen or a Hird type and the knock on effect is that we’re picking one less natural forward and the effect is felt in that area of the ground.

Langford, Durham and Martin would all be ahead of Cox as long-term options IMO, whereas a KPP with a tank like Cox can add value at CHB / HBF / HFF / CHF more than pretty much anyone else we've got on the list.

That makes too much sense unfortunately. Langford to FB next to our new CHB Ham - and Cox to remain on the wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find with the roof closed you get great acoustics... can really hear the groans from the crowd, its great for business
It also means any individual sledges directed at the players ring loud as a bell. Heard some corkers over the years

Obligatory post now that he's back in.

Stop trying to make Brayden Ham an AFL footballer. He will never be an AFL footballer.

Obligatory post now that he's back in.

Stop trying to make Brayden Ham an AFL footballer. He will never be an AFL footballer.
While I assess him the same way, now that he's in I wish him nothing but the best and hope he proves us wrong. It would be very handy to have at least a decent AFL level role player with his tank.

Dude if you’re that determined to be upset about Ham playing a game of football then be my guest 😂

I thought you wanted a genuine answer or discussion but every time you get an answer you find something else to interpret in the most antagonistic way and then be upset about.

He’s not replacing Guelfi. You can hold Guelfi up as a beacon of blue collar attributes if you want but it’s really immaterial.

If the question is “why was he selected ahead of Hird”, then you have your answer.

If the question is about his VFL form, then you have your answer.

If you want to know what the coaches value, then you have your answer.

On that basis selecting Ham is exactly what we should be expecting, and expecting anything else is setting yourself up to be extremely agitated for no real value.

Ham was best 22 last year, and has been emergency most weeks that he hasn’t played.

Hird is yet to debut and was emergency only once when literally everyone else was sick. He will debut when he’s good and ready.

And whether he’s good or not you should have Langford in to take up the post of whipping boy from next week.

And actually, Ham’s one of only 14 players who has played in both of our wins this year, and they both happened to be at Marvel. So there you go.
Who's upset? What change in discussion? This is the only point you've made I disagree with. I simply dont agree Ham is representative of the blue collar culture they are trying to implement.

There's no way the club would be implementing a club wide 'blue collar' ethos that didn't include very clear guidelines on attack on the ball and the man. It's so central to any success (and just playing the game). The same way we have several other players falling short on 'blue collar' defensive running - this type of ethos is to set minimum standards in ALL the critical areas. Thus the need for the umbrella term - to raise the minimum standards in all areas.

It may not be written on the wall but attack on the man and the ball is one of the first things they are looking for when they recruit players now (Durham, Caldwell, Hobbs, Perkins Kelly). They are playing Ham despite horror efforts in this area - It is what it is - but if someone asked Rutten does Ham represent the blue collar Essendon he's building I reckon the answer would be no. Wheras you have it as a yes. Happy to agree to disagree.

I would comfortably guess he would be top 10 in our BnF right now, if not top 5.

I'm not sure. He doesn't help the team function with his roll off being slack and the only reason he performs is because he protects himself a lot. Do the coaches give votes to a guy that doesn't concede many goals but doesn't help their vision of the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back