Preview Round 18: Carlton v Viva Brisvegas Sunday 23 July 4.40pm @ Gabba - Final Team post #402

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just on KPFs , I've never experienced such a goal scoring drought at the CFC, no visible structure just a shambles.
We're mighty with Fevola up front, but have never recovered the loss.
We need an instinctive natural forward with good speeed , footIQ , & skilled kicking action. We must address this soon otherwise we ain't going to achive much.
Go Baggers

What difference would it make? We dont have any crumbers anyway. No one even attempts to rove the packs except for daisy. Big guy, little guy, all the same crap.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

One day we'll have a functioning forward line, where if Curnow has a clear run for the mark, McKay is using his size to shield other players away, instead of Casboult flying in and spoiling his teammate.

Also on that day, rather than having our smalls flying for the same mark (sigh...), they'll read the flight of the ball and position themselves advantageously before the ball drops.

We really do have some poor-thinking players.

What difference would it make? We dont have any crumbers anyway. No one even attempts to rove the packs except for daisy. Big guy, little guy, all the same crap.

Coach Bolton has a saying about form but there's an argument to pick Pickett based on we have no small forward other than Wright that is performing in the 1s anyway.

Just on KPFs , I've never experienced such a goal scoring drought at the CFC, no visible structure just a shambles.
We're mighty with Fevola up front, but have never recovered the loss.
We need an instinctive natural forward with good speeed , footIQ , & skilled kicking action. We must address this soon otherwise we ain't going to achive much.
Go Baggers
Can't disagree there except for Fev.

One day we'll have a functioning forward line, where if Curnow has a clear run for the mark, McKay is using his size to shield other players away, instead of Casboult flying in and spoiling his teammate.

Also on that day, rather than having our smalls flying for the same mark (sigh...), they'll read the flight of the ball and position themselves advantageously before the ball drops.

We really do have some poor-thinking players.
So much agreement. All our smart players are defensive side of halfway it seems sometimes.

Um, yes.

I question your question; what can a single match truly tell us about a season, a epoch, or where we'll be in two years?

I knew by asking it I would get a level of backlash. But it is simple, For as bad as Brisbane have been over the last half a decade they more often than not have our number. To show we are on the right track we have the win the games we should win and this was always going to be the most clear cut example.

Also, losing this puts us back in wooden spoon territory. Two years into a rebuild and still last will have catastrophic consequences, membership will drop as a number of fans will think they have been sold a lemon for the last time (not me will renew) and it hurts our ability to demand high dollars on sponsorship.

It's a fickle world and even moreso in AFL and its sometimes about more than 4 points.

Brions don't even have a preview thread up..
WTF
We like to mull over our losses for a few days before moving on to the next. Usually up on Tuesday afternoons.;)
On the bright side. No Lions supporter has come onto this thread to post about how we should win this match because their team aren't going well. It happened the past two weeks and look what happened.

Could this at least be a good omen?
We aren't going well. You got this.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coach Bolton has a saying about form but there's an argument to pick Pickett based on we have no small forward other than Wright that is performing in the 1s anyway.

Ther is just no possible way known to human kind that Pickett could do worse than what Sumner put up yesterday.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure that's true.

SPS, Murphy, Wright, Fisher and Lamb have all looked dangerous around the base of packs at times. The problem is even when we get the crumb we seem too focused on trying to create a clean goal (ie. handballing it around and backwards) rather than a player taking the responsibility to have a shot.

It's happened a few times (see Murphy and SPS's Goal of the Year contenders) but needs to happen more if we want to create genuine pressure on opposition defenders when we go inside 50. Both SA clubs do it very well - when the ball hits the deck you can see the panic set in amongst defenders as the smaller forwards go to work.

Get Fisher in the forward pocket for four quarters with instructions to apply as much pressure as possible, and go for goal whenever he gets half a look.

This is such an important game for us. It's probably our only winnable game for the rest of our season, while Brisbane have another 3 they could win (including the game against us). That would mean we could very well finish last depending on how North go.

I really, really, don't want to finish last.

That being said though, I'm not really liking our chances. I think the lions have too many classy players (Beams, Zorko, Rockliff) that will get them over the top. I really hope I'm wrong though. :(

This is such an important game for us. It's probably our only winnable game for the rest of our season, while Brisbane have another 3 they could win (including the game against us). That would mean we could very well finish last depending on how North go.

I really, really, don't want to finish last.

That being said though, I'm not really liking our chances. I think the lions have too many classy players (Beams, Zorko, Rockliff) that will get them over the top. I really hope I'm wrong though. :(
I think Murphy, Gibbs & Kreuzer stack up quite well against the players you name. Then throw in Doc (in AA form), Jones (also in AA form), Plowman, who has had a very good season & our better players can match there's. When you look at the respective forward lines, like us, the Lions only have 2 players who have kicked more than 20 goals for the season (Hipwood & Zorko with 26 & 25 respectively).

Even with our current injury list (& hopefully we can welcome a couple back this week), I think we have them covered sufficiently to come away with the 4 points.

I knew by asking it I would get a level of backlash. But it is simple, For as bad as Brisbane have been over the last half a decade they more often than not have our number. To show we are on the right track we have the win the games we should win and this was always going to be the most clear cut example.

Also, losing this puts us back in wooden spoon territory. Two years into a rebuild and still last will have catastrophic consequences, membership will drop as a number of fans will think they have been sold a lemon for the last time (not me will renew) and it hurts our ability to demand high dollars on sponsorship.

It's a fickle world and even moreso in AFL and its sometimes about more than 4 points.
All of that's fair, but your question was far simpler - and sillier - than your response.

All of that's fair, but your question was far simpler - and sillier - than your response.

I openly am prepared to share I have anxiety disorder and for as positive as I think I have tried to be this season either by over analysis or fear of the worst case scenario may have tried to make the question too simple or vague.

Honestly, we win this and I am happy for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back