Preview Round 2, 2019: Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, 31 March 3:20pm AEDT @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. There could be some sore bodies in the midfield, though, that don't recover well enough and get limited minutes at Box Hill. This full-time AFL gig is a big step up for quite a few guys.

But other than that, no change.
8 day break though so good chance to get anyone a bit sore up
Howe gets a 7 day break so depends on his minutes at Box Hill and where he is in his recovery

600th game for the Burgoyne brothers this weekend. Peter played 240 games for Port Adelaide. Shaun has played 359 games for Port Adelaide and Hawthorn so far.

Only the second pair of brothers to make this milestone, behind the Maddens.

Last edited:
Would love to know how Howe went in the Box Hill practice match.
I am leaning towards him coming in for Cousins.

A mate said he was typically good and didn't play whole game. Think we'd be keen to being him in but fitness might be an issue given this was his first game of the year.

Not sure about Nash. Sure he can tackle but I reckon you need forwards who can kick. I wouldn't back him from 20m straight in front

Not even sure what reserves we have right now but if Nash is in I'm happy to go unchanged. Not a fan of Mirra but thought he got a pass yesterday

I can understand your comments based on a player by player individual eval. But players are given a role and I think you will find that both Mirra and Nash tend to play that role, so they will probably continue to be picked regardless of how they look to you.

Not sure about Nash. Sure he can tackle but I reckon you need forwards who can kick. I wouldn't back him from 20m straight in front

Not even sure what reserves we have right now but if Nash is in I'm happy to go unchanged. Not a fan of Mirra but thought he got a pass yesterday

I thought Nash played his role really well. His closing speed and pressure resulted in team goals. I think he had one kick for goal, under pressure and on a bit of an angle. 7-8 games under the belt and slotting in nicely.

The modern game is all about speed and Nash has speed. Plus a bit of height and weight to make him dangerous.

We'll go in unchanged regardless. Neither Wingard or Scully should be rushed in to a winning side if they're not cherry ripe, and Howe simply isn't that level of footballer.

Sights should be on Geelong, Round 5.

Sheesh. I reckon Hawthorn are all about one week at a time. It's a tough comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No change with Wingard back vs North and Scully back for either St Kilda (hopefully the turf fiasco is fixed by then) or Geelong.

Think Poppy makes way for Chad and probably Henderson for Scully.

Should be too good for the Dogs and win by 4-6 goals.

Flying to Italy and my flight leaves at 4.30 Sunday arvo, really hoping the wifi onboard is up to scratch or it’ll be an anxious 9.5 hours till Bangkok stop.

No change with Wingard back vs North and Scully back for either St Kilda (hopefully the turf fiasco is fixed by then) or Geelong.

Think Poppy makes way for Chad and probably Henderson for Scully.

Should be too good for the Dogs and win by 4-6 goals.

Flying to Italy and my flight leaves at 4.30 Sunday arvo, really hoping the wifi onboard is up to scratch or it’ll be an anxious 9.5 hours till Bangkok stop.

Hopefully a couple of happy endings in Bangers for you.

Interesting to see if anyone makes way. Happy for Wingard and Howe to get their match fitness up.

Its worth noting our ethos regarding players fitness seems to be significantly more evolved than most clubs

- Melb rolled the dice on an underdone Viney and Jones and got worked over by 18 year olds
- NM played an underdone Tarrant - Mcarthy snagged 5. Enough said
- Essendon played Merrett who was useless in an already lazy Essendon outfit
- Buddy looked like he lacked fitness and touch

Almost happy for an unchanged lineup. Our fitness/coaching staff deserve immense credit for holding our players back

Last edited:
I see Dylan Moore and Mitch Lewis played well in Box Hill practice match.
Apparently Teia Miles was best on ground.

These guys will need to keep it up if they are to break into the firsts
Miles has played some awesome footy at times in the ones, seemed to have real potential.

Not sure where he stands in the pecking order now but he did keep his spot on the list so maybe he makes it?

Well beat the dogs, forward of the centre they offer very little in comparison to the crows, the only way we get beat is if the guys turn up with the wrong mindset.

If Wingard is 100% then he plays.

I’m not sold on Nash, he was solid and pressure is good but for me you can’t have a 6ft5 guy who can’t kick. Needs development at Box Hill, but I’m not spitting chips if he plays.

Just guessing but would Mirra go out if the Dogs have a smaller forward line and who is first in line for a forward spot, I think we should play Lewis before Tob.

Just guessing but would Mirra go out if the Dogs have a smaller forward line and who is first in line for a forward spot, I think we should play Lewis before Tob.

Considering our defenders aren't even that tall, I doubt we'll mess with the structure. Scrimshaw was our tallest defender on the weekend and Mirra isn't exactly incapable on mid sized forwards.

Also, Mirra clutched at his right side groin on the last kick of the game. I wonder if he got a slight injury with all the cramping going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back