Review Round 20, 2021 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting , apart from the early Essendon win, I can’t think of a game where we’ve played a solid 4 qtrs of footy. Yet we sit 1 win from the top of table. Weird.
It's not really weird. It's why we're not talked about in the same conversations as the serious contenders like Geelong and the Western Bulldogs.

Very happy with how we came on strong when it mattered. As much as we love to ack Hinkley you hsve to give it to the coaches for getting it right at the end.

So happy to have the three amigos back. So much better with them in. Fanta will be better for the run too.

Not pretty, some moments of sheer frustration and lethargy, but overall a good hard fought win against a team trying to cement a spot in the 8. Content with that.

Excellent win
I know we can be a hard watch but it is what we do and it is what we are, working class.
We are now sitting well in the top 4 but no one is going to assume that it is where we end up.
The game day thread is a horrendous read in relation to the unmerited personal criticism that is posted.
We are a team with not as much natural talent as GWS but we are a team who’s effort we need to applaud

Was that Bergman's most productive game this year for possessions?

Did some good things , so reliable overhead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said 5 goals. Not close enough.
My pre-game prediction:
Another clunky, stuttering win no doubt. You take 'em, but the after-taste ain't pleasant. Port by 27 points.
Actually, I really enjoyed this game! Whilst we went to sleep at times, overall I was pleased with the skills, style and effectiveness.

Good enough win looking solely at the scoreboard but boy do we have some issues with our defensive stuff.

Good sides will pick their way through us with ease given how some of our defenders are going.

The zone is garbage. teams go end to end having players 10-15 clear of anyone and we don't get near the thing. There's a worrying lack of commitment, effort and desire from a few of our defenders to go when they should. They seem almost happy to just jog along thinking somebody else will have to do the hard yards.

Jonas isn't worth a spot in the team at the moment. isn't doing anything other than giving away silly free kicks or letting his opponent have 10-15m constantly while Tom guards some piece of grass and then points at others. DBJ is doing the exact same thing too. it's like they think their leadership roles mean they don't have to do what they should be doing.

Big issues of that front. We don't defend or fight with real purpose to win the ball back from many of our back six.

It was good to see the Rozee, Butters and Duusma all have really important touches when it was needed most. That was the most pleasing aspect from my perspective.

Well done Trav on becoming the games record holder. Now to set the bar high so it's a damn hard one to chase down for those that follow.

If Robbie Gray and Motlop both recover and seem good to go before finals it's going to be very interesting to see what way Ken goes with that. A good position to be in.

Must demolish the Crows next week. They'll be up for it but we must, must demolish them.

A good, if not slightly frustrating, win.

Butters + Duursma back adds so much to our ball movement and depth to our midfield. That pass by Butters to Georgiades was sublime. Rozee seems to be moving better and with confidence as well.

I thought our set up with the 4 talls up forward worked pretty well again, but hard to know what it will look like against the best teams. It helps Marshall can be effective when swung back too.

3rd spot opens up for us next week. Weagles will beat the dees in Perth

Bulldogs have Essendon, Hawks (at this stage in Tasmania) then us

Geelong have Giants, Saints and Melbourne

Melbourne have West Coast away, Crows then Geelong in Geelong.

There's definitely space for us to rise, particularly if we can finally find form and beat the Bulldogs. Doubt we do though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back