Review Round 20, 2021 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought dbj was pretty good. Had some shank kicks but basically everything was under pressure and thought his ground ball and running games were strong.

Jonas is trying too hard, needs to relax a little.

And the commentary team can * right off!
Ridiculous barracking for GWS.
No mention of the free kick count once it evened up!

Would have liked to see Ladhams smash the ball attacking side ala max gawn when green was in the ruck. Instead he went for short taps and or take possession and get overwhelmed due to their extra mid

Burton and McKenzie were decent but we otherwise got destroyed by their forwards in transition. They always seemed to have numbers loose on the overlap. They didn't just take marks, they got wide, wide open inside 50. We failed there on strategy, effort and execution.

At the other end the forward line is cooking with gas at the moment. Multiple threats. The return of Fantasia and the superstar kids has added balance and the quadrangle caused big problems all night for what is a very good tall defensive brigade.

2 wins gets us top 4 with a couple % boosting wins before the bulldogs

Probably not - Sydney are one win behind us with three 'easy' games to come against Saints, N0rf and Suns. We might have more hope of the Dees dropping two of WCE (away), Crows (not) and Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nervous game, we did it ugly but we got the four points.
We keep doing enough to win and show enough to keep us doubting what we can do in finals

our tall forwards were the key to that win.
Giants tall defenders are the key to their sideZ Taylor Haynes and Davis are high quality and protect their backline which is useless outside of those talls.
10goals from dix Georgiades Marshall and Ladhams in a game we kicked 15 is massive.

our midfield only just did enough, mostly hurting them in transition when we got it to our runners (and out of the hands of guys like Dbj!)

Defenders were sh*t.

Amon - gun. Putting together a great season. Should be in the top few of our bnf I think? Just cuts teams up. His ability to escape trouble , hold the ball and then make something happen when most players just slam it on the boot or handball it to no one is beautiful and sorely needed.

wines - slowish start, hinkley seems set on resting him in an attempt to keep him fresh or ruin his Brownlow and my bank balance. Got better as the game went on. His body strength in contests is brilliant

Burton - solid game. One of our defenders who we could actually trust to defend.

Boak - decent but didn’t notice him that much. Usual boak standard.

Marshall - 16d 9 marks 1 goal. Great workrate all game. Good effort.

Butters - better return than last week. Starting to get back to his form. Need him to return to the midfield and win clearances before finals.

drew - quietish game after last week. was schooled in the middle by the gws mids. Only 2clearances was disappointing.

Dixon - good contested marking but really burnt us with his kicking for goal. Good game but works really hard to fu** things up by foot.

Bonner - quality game from Bonner. Thought he worked hard both ways.

Lycett - not sure what to say. On paper it’s not a bad game but gee, I expect more from him going against a fat cooked Mumford.

Bergman - worked hard and showed some real class in moments before disappearing. Very patchy atm but great signs

Ladhams - amazing first half then disappeared. Rucking against the 191cm Tom green was embarrassing.

McKenzie - very strong opening. Pretty good game.

rozee - got quite a bit of time at centre stoppages but did nothing there really but slowly built into the game. Had some nice touches especially a slick hand pass to Dixon for a goal.

Dbj - horrible. Butchered the ball most times he touched it but some of his running was so lazy. Was one play where his opponent ran and got a hand pass from a guy on the boundary while Dbj just jogged into no mans land. He should have been flogged with a whip at Alberton for that. Just drop him please.

duursma - decent and good workrate but still building

Jonas - horrible horrible game. Outright crap. Killed by his opponent. Did nothing.

Houston - swanned around and got a few uncontested touches where he looked good but didn’t go near an opponent and looks disinterested in going near a contest. Just wants to play a kick behind play and getting easy running uncontested kicks.

Fantasia - passenger for 95% of the game but made at some impact with that 5% at least.

Georgiades - another passenger for large parts of the game but kept his opponent engaged, and made an impact when he got his hands on it.

Alir - passenger. Crap, did nothing.

spp - some nice running and pressure but this isn’t a foot race. Would be nice if you could actually win the football yourself rather than chasing all game Sam.
You are aware we won.
Reads as though 6 players were acceptable
We are 4th by a game and you spend most of your post putting the boots in.
Not only that you actually get personal, are you aware that these guys are busting a gut for the club.

I think everyone is being a bit harsh on DBJ due to how sh*t he has been this year. I actually thought that he looked way better than he has been lately?
I’m with you I thought he was in our top 5 at half time.
Don’t understand the talk about dropping him. He had 22 Disposals in 73% game time.
Yes he is no AA at the moment but he is not getting pushed out by Garner or Frederick.

Pretty good win against a relatively strong GWS outfit.

One things for sure, a fit Rozee, Butters, & Duursma suddenly makes us look like a genuine Top 4 side again.

Just on Duurs, his ability to run out games when most other players are out on their feet, is nothing short outstanding. I have a lot of man love for this guy, energizer bunny aside, he also has loads of courage, is good overhead, & is an above average kick.

If we somehow make the GF, wouldn‘t be surprised if he wins the Norm Smith.

Good win. GWS aren't a bad side, they needed to win tonight to be a decent chance of making the 8 and once again we were resilient and stood up when it mattered in the last. Another game into Duursma, Rozee and Butters who all looked much sharper, another game without any injuries and another win closer to the top 4.

I might be a bit of an optimist but I reckon we've been building week-on-week over the past few rounds and with the cavalry coming back before finals I reckon we could be up to our eyeballs in it come September. Jury's still out on our ability to beat a top-4 side but with the pieces coming together at the right time, who knows...

Solid win. I dream of the day we can sort our kicks inside 50, we have the potential to kick a real big score.
Great to see the three youngsters starting to build some form after their injuries.
How good is Amon going.
We need to sort our defense out, wonder if we should bring Hartlett back if fit.

Most disappointing things for me were out captain, he really is becoming a liability. And also out llr forward 50 kicking. Was woeful. Didn't help by the forwards dropping too many marks either.
Clurey needs to come back in. Our backline seems dysfunctional at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back