Review Round 20, 2021 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Butters is coming back!
Rozee is hitting his straps.
Marshall needs to play as a small.
We have quite a few playing well below their typical level.
Good win!
Let’s hope it clicks come finals. We have a lot of improvement left in the team!

oh and Robbie Gray.
Didn't see the 1st qtr but very happy we've worked on a forward h/ball when the oppo have to stand after a free or mark.

The best bit was in the third qtr when old mate from the Giants fell over. For no reason. With no-one around him. He just fell over, lmao.
Congrats on a club (AFL) record 301, Trav. Only another 90 or so to catch THE GOAT. Fo' mo years!
Big Dix on track for a low key career best goal return - should kick fiddy for the first time.
Getting players back just at the right time, build some form before finals, we coming.
Delayed coverage, my ass. Ports is bigger than the Olympics, farken...

5i9eor.gif

Last edited:
It’s a weird thing, this team.
It feels like during games we are playing terribly for a good part of the game.
Yet somehow we keep winning.
Even though it feels like we shouldn’t be winning.
It’s weird.

We used to lose against teams that would play the same way. For years.

It's a sign of maturity.

Frustrating game but a good result in the end.

Our first quarter was decent. Unlike recent weeks, we came out with good intent early. But we were our own worst enemies with the way we used the ball going forward.

We started the second quarter well, built a good lead, then just decided to become witches hats for the next quarter and a half. It's not an exaggeration to say that we looked like a disorganised rabble. The way they just moved the ball from end to end continuously with no Port players anywhere near their opponents was just mind boggling. We just collectively went to sleep and it nearly cost us the game. Himmelberg's brain fade on the three quarter time siren (and some smart work from Wines to be awake to what was happening) was the turning point. From there, we managed to wake up and start playing properly and the last quarter was a relative cake walk.

Amon quite obviously our BOG. Brilliant from start to finish. Well supported in midfield by Wines and Boak.

Dixon superb, as he has been for some time now. He just looks so confident at the moment. I think it helps that the umpires have started paying free kicks against his opponents - it allows him to operate with much more freedom and space because the defender gets put on notice early and stops holding so much.

Rozee, Butters and Duursma all got better and better as the game went on. We've missed Butters' creativity, those little handballs and the quick dinky kicks to players in space that nobody else would see let alone execute on. Duursma's end to end running was also on display, helping out the defence on numerous occasions. We're a significantly better team with this trio up and running - as in, a 4 goal better team.

Ladhams started on fire. His highlights reel is quite ridiculous really. Just has a knack for kicking goals out of nothing. It's actually quite valuable.

Enjoying Bergman's progress. Such a solid, understated player. Great overhead, normally uses it well.

Burton's last month has been really good. Best month of football he's put together at Port.

Bonner was serviceable and seems to have earned himself a spot in the best 22, at least for now.

SPP isn't impacting enough. Can't fault his effort but he just isn't at the level at the moment and is a shadow of what he was last year. He's looking likely to lose his spot to Robbie.

Aliir is worrying me a bit too. Just has a few too many shaky moments where he over commits or under commits or just doesn't quite judge things correctly. Jonas is a bit the same. I have a lot more confidence when the ball goes near McKenzie or Burton, that's for sure.

Houston and DBJ are a massive conundrum. I don't know what's happened to these guys but they've become fumbly, error prone players when before this year they were literally the opposite. It's weird. To be frank, at some point Hartlett or even Mayes would have to come into consideration if these guys can't get their acts together.

Dixon superb, as he has been for some time now. He just looks so confident at the moment. I think it helps that the umpires have started paying free kicks against his opponents - it allows him to operate with much more freedom and space because the defender gets put on notice early and stops holding so much.
Dixon is going massively under the radar right now.

41 goals so far, his best return has been 49 from 4 more games. He has 3 more + finals to beat that. In a few weeks we could well be saying he has had his best year this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dixon is going massively under the radar right now.

41 goals so far, his best return has been 49 from 4 more games. He has 3 more + finals to beat that. In a few weeks we could well be saying he has had his best year this year.
Is he a sneaky AA chance?

Would really ruffle some feathers down the road lol.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Credit to the team.
Thought we were out on our feet at half time, but 6 or 7 players who had been invisible started to have some impact in the second stanza.
3rd quarter was an improvement, and the last term was our best.
Now to focus on West Lakes.

Credit to the team.
Thought we were out on our feet at half time, but 6 or 7 players who had been invisible started to have some impact in the second stanza.
3rd quarter was an improvement, and the last term was our best.
Now to focus on West Lakes.
Yeah, the difference late was on the back of a number of quieter players breaking the shackles to come into it: Butters, Rozee, Duursma, Fantasia, Marshall, Boak especially

Was that Bergman's most productive game this year for possessions?

Did some good things , so reliable overhead.

Seriously classy player. Beautiful kick, good overhead, pacy, keeps his feet, uses his body well in contests and reads the game well.
If his form remains, I can't see anyone replacing him...sorry Hamish.

Seriously classy player. Beautiful kick, good overhead, pacy, keeps his feet, uses his body well in contests and reads the game well.
If his form remains, I can't see anyone replacing him...sorry Hamish.
And getting better every week.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We are building. On the face of it I would say that was our best performance since beating Sydney 5 weeks ago. Not a complete performance by any means, but at Marvel it is common to see plenty of heavy momentum swings during games.

My biggest concern from this week was that GWS were able to find the overlap on the outside particularly when we turned the ball over in our forward 50 and they moved in transition. At the same time, we were able to seemingly correct this late in the game which I was pleased about.

In terms of personnel, Amon and Burton for me were the two standouts. Amon was a class above everyone on the field today. He's a player who is fully realising his talent - and to be fair, I think he is exceeding all expectations. He has really developed an inside game which allows him to pinch hit on-ball. Really like the last month or so that Burton has put together. He appears to be playing with more confidence in his body. So assured when in possession and reads the play tremendously well.

Not really sure the hate on Aliir tonight - thought he played well when he wasn't isolated one out. He's not shying away from any contest, and I think he's been quite aggressive in trying to break lines getting the ball out of our defensive 50. The one I was frustrated with tonight from our back 6 was Jonas - couldn't stop anyone 1v1, and Houston was a defensive liability. You back both in - but they need to lift. Bonner was a mixed bag. Always get nervous when he's defending under pressure, but he found plenty of the ball and didn't really make any horrendous mistakes. Is he best 22 for finals? I personally don't think so. Marvel is a perfect stadium for him because of the fast pace of the games there - but in a more dour game on a cool dewy night in early September, I'd be thinking a bigger body might be the better option.

Really like Bergman's game. Got involved from the get go. Saw him use his body to push his opponent out of the way legally early on in the first quarter. For most of the season he has not had the requisite functional strength to go 1 on 1 in contested battles with the ball in dispute, so this was a nice development. He's clearly going to be a very good player. His marking ability is a real asset around the ground.

Forward entries were s**t for the first 15 minutes of the first quarter, then it started to click once Ladhams initially broke the dam with his Monfries like bounce for goal. The quadrangle is working for now, but I don't see it working in finals. Marshall did 2/3rds of * all for the first 2 and a half quarters, then he lifted and really got involved in the game late on. He is so often out muscled in contests that it reaches a point where I get infuriated with him at times. The only way the quadrangle will work in finals is if Marshall plays the Westhoff role where he's a little higher up the ground - like he has done in the 2nd halves of games the last 2 weeks. Playing him as a targeted KPF isn't where his strengths lie, and we'd be doing the team a disservice to continue doing that. Dixon is a beast right now and can carry the load, whilst Georgiades is having his moments. Didn't get involved much, but when 2 of your 7 disposals are going through the big sticks and you haven't made any glaring errors, that's a solid game for a developing KPF. Ladhams is mercurial because he is a big who plays small, but he creates goals out of nothing - and that is a valuable trait in big games.

Rozee looked to have a spring in his step today. He's had a few good games in a row now. I like the way he is headed. Butters had his best game since round 4. Adds so much class through our midfield and half forward line. Finds space and creates space where there perceivably is none. Duursma's gut running was on show - really came into it in the last quarter. He's clearly still a ways to go, but he'll be right for the finals.

Could tell Fantasia was underdone but with no SANFL games right now he needs to be playing at AFL level. Has a real X-Factor about him. I want to see him crumb a few more packs where Dixon brings the ball to ground and I'm sure that'll come as he gets his touch back.

We still have Robbie and Motlop to fit into the side. I am loathe to drop SPP, because he's one of those enforcer type players whom adds a real physical presence - which is significantly important in finals. That being said, he needs to lift, because he's likely the first in line to be dropped for Robbie at this point. Not sure where Motlop is going to fit - he could be a handy injury sub, or we could push Bergman slightly deeper and drop Bonner - which would probably be my preferred option at this point.

This performance gave me some optimism that we are starting to figure things out. Next two games are must wins. We have not had the perfect season by any means - but we have put ourselves in a position whereby our team is going to have an opportunity to take hold of a top 4 spot late in the year. Our injury list is getting smaller by the day and we have some true X-factor players who are still finding their touch - but equally showing how much better our team is because they're in the side. Can't look any further than the Showdown at this point. The Crows have been horrible of late - we need to win and win well.

Haven't been on the forum much lately, maybe I'm gradually becoming a Facebook supporter, but feel like I'm watching a different side to a few of you.

From what I saw it was a classy win against a dangerous side desperate for a top 8 spot.

Our mids balance is looking nice again, Wines is ready to take a finals series by the scruff of his neck.

The Holy Trinity look in form and recovered, Rozee has that pace back, forwards are in form and working together, we're quietly building form at the right end of the year and should bank the double chance.

Lot of reasons for optimism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back