Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date – Saturday, August 15
Time – 7:20 pm
Venue – Gabba
Weather - 22° Mostly sunny

Preview by chopperduck

There will be some talking points from this game, unfortunately most of them won’t have much to do with the game itself, but more so about wooden spoons and draft picks. So let’s get the elephant out of the room right off the bat.

There is a very good chance that this game decides the wooden spoon and therefore who gets the #1 draft pick. Personally, I think the Lions want Schache and the Blues will want Weitering, so end of the day whoever has pick 1 or 2 won’t make a great deal of difference, but that is my opinion and who knows, maybe Blues would take Schache. The question is, will either team play below standard to ensure they lose (aka win the #1 draft pick). We looked like we played for the win v the Suns, and losing to them just about secured us the spoon anyway, so I don’t think we need to tank this game. I think the Suns and Blues games back to back at home was seen as our best/last chance for a good win this season and the boys will be up and about for it. The Blues won’t want the stigma that comes with winning the spoon, and with a stand in coach, I think they will be keen for a win as well. Now that all that is out of the way, lets actually talk about the game

LIONS

I walked away disappointed after the Suns game as I felt that we actually played some good footy and could have won it. Our midfield did a good job, we spread the ball a lot better and we actually took some marks inside 50 and generated shots on goal. I think we will take some confidence from that performance going into the Blues game. We did however, over possess the ball at times, doing 2 or 3 hand balls too many instead of straightening up towards goals. It was good to see the likes of Rich and Hanley on the outside constantly getting hand ball receives as these two generate a lot of forward momentum for us. Hopefully we can be a little more productive this week with our disposal.

BLUES

I haven’t seen a lot of the Blues this year, partly from being time poor, partly because they are just horrible to watch, and I already watch us play and refuse to sit through 2 horrible games. Blues have a midfield that can match it with ours, and I think they will get their fair share. Murphy seems to be in a bit of a purple patch after having a bit of an off start to the year, Cripps has become a vital part in their midfield and deserves as much respect as anyone else wearing the navy blue. Turnovers however have been killing the Blues (much like us). Yarran on his day is one of the better kicks and was dropped for the last game. It will be interesting to see if he gets recalled after the Suns exposed our defense at the weekend with quick rebounding from half back. Yarran is the type of player that plays well against us, and he can play that rebounding HB roll well. Simpson is the other one we need to watch. Again, someone who seems to bring their own footy when playing against us, and is a player that can really drive the blues forward.

This game has the potential to be a turnover fest, but can either team actually capitalise on those turnovers? Blues probably have the edge over the Lions up forward, with at least a couple of options that can take a mark, and if we let them loose out the back from turnovers like at the weekend, we will probably make their forwards look first class. At our end, McGuane was a shining light, like the big glowing golden arches sign at 3am after a big night out and all you want is a cheese burger, even though you know you’ll probably bring it back up as soon as you get home. He kick 3.2 from memory, and could have kicked all 5 if he wasn’t a bit rusty. More importantly, he took some good contested grabs. Hopefully this will give our guys a bit of confidence to kick the ball forward a bit more, straightening us up a bit and preventing those extra few handballs that put us into trouble.

I could go into great depth on player match ups and important key stats for each team and what they need to do to win the game, but honestly, I’m just hoping the game doesn’t turn into a complete horror to watch. In saying that, Lions and Suns managed to put on an entertaining enough game, so I'm hoping for something similar. It is my birthday on the 15th, so I’m hoping for a win over the dirty Blues. I’ve even left my comfy member seat to go sit down on the fence so I can get half cut and hurl abuse at the likes of Murphy when he inevitably shows his soft side. Oh and Docherty as well, we can’t forget Docherty. I just hope I’ll be drinking out of happiness and not looking to drown my sorrows.

Lions by 2 goals.

Just finished watching the game against the Gold Coast. We should be absolutely primed to win this match. McStay was very good down back but I wouldn't mind seeing him forward this week with Rich and Hanley streaming through the middle.

I think we'll lose. I'm loading up on Carlton.

Clarke is out and now Robertson is toasted for the season, can't see us winning this one. IMO securing pick 1 would be a greater win than an insignificant win against second last.

Clarke is out and now Robertson is toasted for the season, can't see us winning this one. IMO securing pick 1 would be a greater win than an insignificant win against second last.

What a s**t attitude to have as a supporter. Always go for the win, we're not that kind of footy club.

Yeah, sorry to disapoint but I'm thinking about rebuilding the team for next year and securing those high draft picks. After all, this time next year who's gonna give a s**t about what happened in round 20 2015?

What a s**t attitude to have as a supporter. Always go for the win, we're not that kind of footy club.
Add me to the sh!t attitude group, as i to would like us to lose this one, honourable loss if you need to label it. Couldn't give a toss about a nothing win this late in the season, considering where we are placed. Give me pick one and first pick in the psd, it might not set us up going forward but it at least puts us in the drivers seat to control, to some degree our own destiny.

Having said that i feel we'll win this one, Carlton tanks better than most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Add me to the sh!t attitude group, as i to would like us to loose this one, honourable loss if you need to label it. Couldn't give a toss about a nothing win this late in the season, considering where we are placed. Give me pick one and first pick in the psd, it might not set us up going forward but it at least puts us in the drivers seat to control, to some degree our own destiny.
So this is what we have become, cheers Leppa.

So this is what we have become, cheers Leppa.
If the AFL and some supporters don't like it, change the rules so you don't put supporters in a position where you want your club to lose, simple really. Pick 1 in the main draft and pick 1 in the psd gives us a massive advantage on a few levels, winning against Carlton gives you a short term gain and that's about it.

Time to play the kids beasley held wright to 2, with other 3 kicked when he was off and had it all over him as he did in TAC so must be considered, cutler to reward him for his efforts, Clayton,watts to come up, Bulldogs have built a young list, time for lions to follow, spoon is secure so look to next year, clean out required. Leppa to build from Bottom. Lions defensive zone is woeful because guys won't work, teach young guys like the bulldogs have, put elite kickers in back like Boyd and bob Murphy, Burgoyne Birchall to get through midfield rather than bomb up line to Martin and scrum, or around the back up the other side meanwhile all the oppo players in the zone defence have pushed back on mc stay so it's 4 v 16 cmon guys watch what is going on !

Time to play the kids beasley held wright to 2, with other 3 kicked when he was off and had it all over him as he did in TAC so must be considered, cutler to reward him for his efforts, Clayton,watts to come up, Bulldogs have built a young list, time for lions to follow, spoon is secure so look to next year, clean out required. Leppa to build from Bottom. Lions defensive zone is woeful because guys won't work, teach young guys like the bulldogs have, put elite kickers in back like Boyd and bob Murphy, Burgoyne Birchall to get through midfield rather than bomb up line to Martin and scrum, or around the back up the other side meanwhile all the oppo players in the zone defence have pushed back on mc stay so it's 4 v 16 cmon guys watch what is going on !

WTF?

Was about to post exactly the same thing.

I reckon we can pull out a 30-50 point lead, have a breakdown at that end of 3rd quarter period and just win by about 14. I know it builds our future but i'm not overly concerned about draft picks till the season is finally over. A win is a win and God we're definitely over due for one.

well lions list is younger so i think thats safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back