Preview Brisbane Lions v Carlton Blues PF, 5.15pm Saturday 23rd Sep 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just rewatched the highlights of our game from earlier in the year and the GABBA game from late 2022. I certainly feel very confident about tomorrow. Clearly Carlton are going to need to throw everything at containing Daniher and Hipwood, our two gun talls and they would have to have a plan for Cameron. Their planning may or may not work out for them, but where they are going to struggle is stopping Rayner, Bailey and McCarthy getting off the leash. Rayner, in particular looms as a major threat to Carlton, because if he can get going early he is going to make it so much easier for Daniher to chime in as the game progresses. Factor in the midfield picking up a few goals and we really look set to kick a score.

The other thing that is worth highlighting is the stellar form of Hipwood when it comes to his aggressive running up field. Hipwood marking or with the ball in his hands on the wing presents as a super powerful springboard into attack. Hipwood offers a great option when we move the ball down the line aggressively, particularly as he is quick enough to pinch 10 - 15 metres running forward. He can also be trusted to take the best option either with a kick inside 50 or giving it off to a runner who can send it forward. Football IQ gets mentioned a lot, and I believe Hipwood has it in abundance. Lots of focus on Charlie and Joe, obviously, but if I was Michael Voss, I would find Hipwood one of the hardest Lions to match up.
I have a sneaky feeling this might be a game for Bailey to shine with 3-4 goals

I have a sneaky feeling this might be a game for Bailey to shine with 3-4 goals

I think he and Rayner will have a big say tomorrow. The Blues sound very focused on our key talls and Charlie. No way they contain Rayner and Bailey, so hope we play through them both as much as possible.

I love a team first player. It probably helps that he has 3 premiership medals already.
Although I have been 'anti-gunners' I am not anti the man, just anti his selection, which at the end of the day isn't his call. I don't think it is a conincidence that our forwards are hitting some career best form since he has been at the club. I think he is a person we need to retain beyond his playing days as an assistant coach and that he could be an extremely effective on feild coach in our reserves.

I have this vision of the score being Brisbane 5.4 to Carlton 1.6 at quarter time. But that seems like a lot of shots for a quarter and not enough (I hope) for half time. So I am pretty that won't be right. I don't like the idea of giving up 7 shots in a quarter but with it being against a big vic club and a prelim, I am expecting some similar calls to Port 2 weeks ago.

Staying in the sunshine coast. Looking for travel info. Drive into city for the game and get shuttle bus or drive to landsborough, catch train to city. If driving where is best place for car park for quick exit... just in case!

I rate Carlton fans the worst in the competition. (even more than Collingwood) As supporters they are the worst losers and the worst winners I have ever watched a game of AFL with. Our last game at Metricon they were disgusting. The only good part was that most of them left the game only 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter. Lets hope the same happens on Saturday.
Any Calton uncles out there reading this, better be on their best behaviour

You have been warned.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any news or vision on how Clug has been training? I know he was BOG after the injury but has he been a bit sore and doing light duties?

Hopefully just a corky and he is 100% tomorrow! Vital player for us

Tell you what, Carlton and the Warriors have both brought their bloody weather haven't they 😳

This southerly is expected to persist into tomorrow arvo/evening. Wonder who it favours 🤔

Firstly I reckon it'll be a cross breeze, so not really favouring an end. Or does the wind become swirly out on the ground, like at the MCG?

Secondly it might make the ball a bit trickier for the big blokes to mark, which you would think would bring our small blokes into the game.

On the other hand tho it might inhibit our ability to transition from one side of the field to the other, particularly if we start on the northern wing or the breeze is blustery and unreliable. This probably hinders us more than Carlton?

Tried to fire myself up by watching highlights of that famous EF win in 2009.

From my recollection we had a pretty gun team that season, but I must say we had some average players running around that night - Austin, Harding, Hooper, Stiller, Sheldon, Hawksley.

Tried to fire myself up by watching highlights of that famous EF win in 2009.

From my recollection we had a pretty gun team that season, but I must say we had some average players running around that night - Austin, Harding, Hooper, Stiller, Sheldon, Hawksley.

Yeah those guys really let us down rhe following week

Staying in the sunshine coast. Looking for travel info. Drive into city for the game and get shuttle bus or drive to landsborough, catch train to city. If driving where is best place for car park for quick exit... just in case!
I drive down from the Sunny Coast for games, I park at Carindale shopping centre. There's buses that go directly to the Gabba from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back