Preview Brisbane Lions v Carlton Blues PF, 5.15pm Saturday 23rd Sep 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to hear what he has to say about the Payne ankle.
Fagan has said of himself that, he has been too loyal to players and that this might be something of a “fault” even if it comes from a good place. The thing I like about late season Fagan is that he seems far more pragmatic and prepared to abandon previous thinking. Examples of this include sticking with Dev Robertson at the selection table, finding a role for Jarryd Lyons that adds value to the team, adopting the two rather than three tall forward line as the ‘default setting’ and managing Zorko in a way that got him physically right for when we need him most. I think if asked about Payne, Fagan has an easy answer, Payne wasn’t fit and should we make the Grand Final, we want to give him every opportunity to play.

Question - is it just me or have others noticed a change in Fagan’s demeanour?

or the constant grabbing of Charlie. Starc does it up one end umps are caught on mic saying "watch Starcevich" but down the Lions f50 nothing on Charlies direct opponent who usually does much worse holding than Starc ever does. This happens week after week, month after month and year after year. NOTHING. It's a disgrace and I'm feeling sick even thinking about this game and how it's going to be officiated. We will be playing against 22 on field opponents Saturday night.

In saying that though sometimes I wish Charlie would play the ball a bit more and not for frees :moustache:
I certainly agree that Charlie sometimes needs to stop looking to the umpire or throwing his hands up and just try to play the ball BUT he is consistently infringed at almost every contest he is in and he doesn't often get rewarded for it. Charlie Cameron has had 22 free kicks this year compared to 38 for Curnow and I suspect they are infringed against at a similar rate. Of Charlie's 22 free kicks I suspect a good chunk of those comes from his 73 tackles for the year.

I think it's a really good move NOT to play Payne when he's obviously carrying an injury.

A fully fit Gardiner is a better proposition than a 75% fit Payne.

It will be really interesting if we win AND Gardiner has a good game AND Payne is fit for the GF
As unfortunate as it is for Dizzy, you have to go with the guys who have been in the team all year and got you there. I hope Diz plays well but the worry with him is he has been consistently giving away 1 or 2 cheapies a game from silly free kicks.

I don’t think they tag Neale. They tried it earlier in the year, and Hewett only held Neale to 20 disposals - and we still smashed them in the middle. Plus they’ve not really run a proper tag in recent months anyway.

Works for us
If they do, Clugg has stepped up to the point that now he becomes the #1 mid and he is just as elite, while Lachie seems happy to sacrifice his game to allow Clugg more time and space.

As unfortunate as it is for Dizzy, you have to go with the guys who have been in the team all year and got you there. I hope Diz plays well but the worry with him is he has been consistently giving away 1 or 2 cheapies a game from silly free kicks.
My concern as well. It’s a confidence thing. When he lacks confidence he starts giving away cheap frees rather than backing himself to win the contest.

Not sure i would read too much in to Fagan not committing to Payne being fit next week. I'd say it is more about not wanting to sound like we are getting ahead of ourselves.

Agree with some others that Fages has a bit more of an edge to him. After all our (me included!) hyperventilating there is no sign of Gunston. Maybe Payne out was a factor, not wanting to change the side too much. But i got the sense the longer the week went there was no noise it was going to happen.

At least with Gardiner he had 6 straight games in the 2s, then a week off. should be good to go. he has often come back and been poor the first week or two but that has been off the back of 1 or 0 2s games. better prep this time

Question - is it just me or have others noticed a change in Fagan’s demeanour?
Yeah I think he's mirrored Kingsley's progression in some ways... both had the odd tantrum early in the season but since the Melbourne game I think we've hardly seen a blow up from Fages. I wouldn't necessarily say he's been calm and relaxed, but maybe more trusting of his players and coaches to respond to situations etc.

I also think the players have mirrored that change in demeanour... they have been much less like cats on a hot tin roof when challenged in games.

I also reckon that much of the above can be attributed to the situational training we did after the Melbourne game. When you know what to do in certain situations it automatically breeds that trust, as opposed to the panic which can come with "what do we do now??"

Yeah I think he's mirrored Kingsley's progression in some ways... both had the odd tantrum early in the season but since the Melbourne game I think we've hardly seen a blow up from Fages. I wouldn't necessarily say he's been calm and relaxed, but maybe more trusting of his players and coaches to respond to situations etc.

I also think the players have mirrored that change in demeanour... they have been much less like cats on a hot tin roof when challenged in games.

I also reckon that much of the above can be attributed to the situational training we did after the Melbourne game. When you know what to do in certain situations it automatically breeds that trust, as opposed to the panic which can come with "what do we do now??"
Additionally, I think getting out of the ‘dugout’ was a great move this season.

Assuming Fages will be doing a press conference today. Will be interesting to hear why they left Gunston out
I hope it doesn't get asked. There is a very obvious reason as to why. Fages will just say he isn't 100% fit or something along those lines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope it doesn't get asked. There is a very obvious reason as to why. Fages will just say he isn't 100% fit or something along those lines.

Selfless Gunners told Fages not to pick him - can't believe that Jack has been taken in by the anti-gunners agenda Nunez Elixuh :

Three-time AFL premiership hero Jack Gunston urged Lions coach Chris Fagan to stick with a winning formula rather than pick him in Brisbane’s team for Saturday’s preliminary final against Carlton at the Gabba.
Gunston, who was regarded as crucial to Brisbane’s flag hopes after joining the Lions in the off-season from Hawthorn, hasn’t played since suffering a knee injury in his side’s six-point win over Adelaide on August 12.
However, the 31-year-old forward was available for selection this week, and his experience in finals would have no doubt proven handy to Brisbane.

“It was a consideration (to select Gunston) but the team’s playing really well, so it’s difficult to change a team that’s going well,” Fagan said on Friday.
“Jack would be the first person to tell you that. He spoke to me about that on Tuesday.
“He said, ‘I know your dilemma, but for what it’s worth, if you leave me out, I fully understand because those guys are going well’.
“He’s seen that in his time at Hawthorn – blokes get in the team and play well, so you can’t jump over the top of them.
“He’s been around for a long time. He has a very selfless approach to it. He’ll be here training with us and passing on all the experiences he’s had over the years.
“It’s nice to know he’s there in the background, and if we’re fortunate enough to get through to next week, he’s an option for us if we need him.”

Okay, so that brings them down to 13,999. Anyone else contributing to the cause?

We've gone the other way - one family member in Carlton gear.

But we've got it covered. A condition of the ticket is that Carlton mustn't win.

Despite some of the commentary on Gunston this year, he's handled himself with a lot of class considering the season hasn't lived up to his expectations.

think there were comments made in an interview in the year that gunston was not actually training that much. i wonder if his back issues flared up again. would love for him to come back refreshed next year and get a proper run at it with a full preseason. i still think he has a lot to offer if he is fit and firing. his form when he returned pre knee injury was quite promising.

There are so many Carlton fans in Queensland that I’ve never met until about 8 weeks ago.

It’s absurd how they’ve been hiding for so long and just waiting for the right moment to emerge.
Oh don't worry they've been here for a while.
It would be probably be about 9 or ten years ago and I sat with a mate who is a Carlton supporter and we sat next to the oppositions race , Carlton colours everywhere .
It was bloody horrible , I wasn't used to being surrounded by oppostion supporters and they were bloody winning.
It was a real shame they were dissapointed in the end. ha ha ha.
But yes they have a great support up here and they love shoving our faces in it when they win.
I'm hoping we flog these pretenders and send them back to Lygon street for over priced pasta.

I just rewatched the highlights of our game from earlier in the year and the GABBA game from late 2022. I certainly feel very confident about tomorrow. Clearly Carlton are going to need to throw everything at containing Daniher and Hipwood, our two gun talls and they would have to have a plan for Cameron. Their planning may or may not work out for them, but where they are going to struggle is stopping Rayner, Bailey and McCarthy getting off the leash. Rayner, in particular looms as a major threat to Carlton, because if he can get going early he is going to make it so much easier for Daniher to chime in as the game progresses. Factor in the midfield picking up a few goals and we really look set to kick a score.

The other thing that is worth highlighting is the stellar form of Hipwood when it comes to his aggressive running up field. Hipwood marking or with the ball in his hands on the wing presents as a super powerful springboard into attack. Hipwood offers a great option when we move the ball down the line aggressively, particularly as he is quick enough to pinch 10 - 15 metres running forward. He can also be trusted to take the best option either with a kick inside 50 or giving it off to a runner who can send it forward. Football IQ gets mentioned a lot, and I believe Hipwood has it in abundance. Lots of focus on Charlie and Joe, obviously, but if I was Michael Voss, I would find Hipwood one of the hardest Lions to match up.
100% on Hipwood.
so underrated by a lot opeople , and I would say sometimes ouselves.
He does so much work up and down the field , great field kick.
people only look at how many goals he kicks.
Pffft , amatuers.

Okay, so that brings them down to 13,999. Anyone else contributing to the cause?
my Carlton mate half the size of what he used to be, so that helps, doesn't it.
My concern as well. It’s a confidence thing. When he lacks confidence he starts giving away cheap frees rather than backing himself to win the contest.
From memory, it's been a fraction slow to react and therefore clocking some poor fellow late.
He was at his peak what two years ago , I hope we get that version, but i do feel his tining or positioning might be a bit off .
Still believe he has the goods to do his part, but I would be plesently surprised if he dominates .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back