Preview Brisbane Lions v Carlton Blues PF, 5.15pm Saturday 23rd Sep 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many Carlton fans in Queensland that I’ve never met until about 8 weeks ago.

It’s absurd how they’ve been hiding for so long and just waiting for the right moment to emerge.

I think if Harris is forced to play close to goal this means Carlton will have the game on their terms. We really do want him higher up the ground as this allows him to intercept or force turnovers in better positions for us to rebound and score ourselves.

It would be good if he was able to position himself like this of his own accord, without having to follow McKay around, but I imagine we'll be stuck with that match up for large parts of the game. The test for Harris will be (a) whether he can beat McKay one on one and (b) if he is winning those battles, know when McKay is playing as a decoy to drag Harris away from dangerous intercepting positions.

It shapes as being a real game of cat and mouse, and much will depend on our front 12 being able to force poor/slow disposal from Carlton, which will allow Andrews to get into more advantageous positions.
Yes, our midfield need to at least break, so Carlton forward entries are under pressure.

I wasn't advocating for Harris to play 'last man', but more the CHB role he has played all year. If he can stay in the arch and not get dragged too far up-field, he should be able to get back and help out Lester and or Gardiner. I hope McKay is still a little off and confident Harris can beat him 1 v 1 like in round 8.

I am worried about Martin. Starc should have that matchup, but all our small/mid defenders need to watch Martin and the other Carlton smalls getting loose ball at the back of the pack.

I don't think any Lions members who wanted to go missed out. There was a brief general public sale, which means some tickets were left after all the member sales - so no members would have missed out if they'd wanted to go.

I'm guessing the ticket prices probably turned a few of the more casual Lions members off the idea.

Assuming Fages will be doing a press conference today. Will be interesting to hear why they left Gunston out.

Apparently they tried to submit a screenshot of the team list to the AFL with Gunston in the team but the AFL couldn’t get the image to load.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the crowd is 62% 38%. Doesn't surprise. Blues will probably have a greater percentage of noise than that - traveling fans tend to be rabid given their commitment. We will have more casual ones. Up to us all to make some noise! i am in a corporate area but never too embarrassed to sound like an idiot so i will do my best :) Also worth noting the blues had massive crowd dominance in their first 2 finals so this will still be a difference. Last match the blues didn't have a big crowd behind them - suns away. Trailed 6.5 to 1.2 at quarter time. Maybe something in that... but let's be honest probably clutching at straws there

For people saying we should get all of our members tickets before carlton - i don't think that would be very fair in finals. And careful what we wish for; with kardinia park getting bigger they will send us there for a final for sure, and good luck getting a ticket if every cats fan goes first. I think the system is fine, yes it favours huge melbourne clubs, but realistically the only ones that sell it out are collingwood, carlton, richmond. Port get huge crowd advantage cause their stadium is big enough. If we get a 50k gabba we should get 35k of the crowd which is pretty dominant.

It's alright. I'm attending in my Lions gear on a mate's Carlton member ticket...

Okay, so that brings them down to 13,999. Anyone else contributing to the cause?

I don't think any Lions members who wanted to go missed out. There was a brief general public sale, which means some tickets were left after all the member sales - so no members would have missed out if they'd wanted to go.

I'm guessing the ticket prices probably turned a few of the more casual Lions members off the idea.

My only concern with what you've said was the club's poor effort in communicating tickets on sale. I'm sure us Big Footy nerds were fine, but how many older members missed out due to the late comms?

Hopefully the answer is a small amount or none, but hope no member missed out.

I just rewatched the highlights of our game from earlier in the year and the GABBA game from late 2022. I certainly feel very confident about tomorrow. Clearly Carlton are going to need to throw everything at containing Daniher and Hipwood, our two gun talls and they would have to have a plan for Cameron. Their planning may or may not work out for them, but where they are going to struggle is stopping Rayner, Bailey and McCarthy getting off the leash. Rayner, in particular looms as a major threat to Carlton, because if he can get going early he is going to make it so much easier for Daniher to chime in as the game progresses. Factor in the midfield picking up a few goals and we really look set to kick a score.

The other thing that is worth highlighting is the stellar form of Hipwood when it comes to his aggressive running up field. Hipwood marking or with the ball in his hands on the wing presents as a super powerful springboard into attack. Hipwood offers a great option when we move the ball down the line aggressively, particularly as he is quick enough to pinch 10 - 15 metres running forward. He can also be trusted to take the best option either with a kick inside 50 or giving it off to a runner who can send it forward. Football IQ gets mentioned a lot, and I believe Hipwood has it in abundance. Lots of focus on Charlie and Joe, obviously, but if I was Michael Voss, I would find Hipwood one of the hardest Lions to match up.

We have made it to another PF which is great for the club and guarantees membership stays high for next year.
Well done boys but hopefully they can take the next step.

The team has gone through the joy and sorrow of finals over the past few years so finals experience will be beneficial.
We have the team to get it done.
We also have a different game style than the other 3 teams remaining in the race.
We just don't play on from marking the ball in the vast majority of cases.
We prefer to find another marking target much to the dislike of a lot of fans.
That will help get us over the line in my opinion.
Time will tell of course.
I am going into the game no more confident than most other games this season.
Anything can happen in finals so hopefully we get the win and no injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back