Preview Brisbane Lions v Carlton Blues PF, 5.15pm Saturday 23rd Sep 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Brisbane Lions v Carlton Blues: The Gabba, 5.15pm Saturday 23rd September 2023

We have been in this position twice in the last 4 finals appearances.
Both times a loss to the Cats. At least they are not our opponent this time.
Can we take the next step?
Members registered in the Grand final Ballot will be hoping so.
Especially those with P1 membership as they have a guaranteed seat.
Our most recent form is what matters going into this finals series.
As the saying goes, you are only as good as your last performance.
We easily accounted for Port and prior to that the Saints, Pies & Crows. So, good recent form.

I am not going to mention any Lions players names in this preview.
This game will require a team effort with some players standing up big time in this PF and hopefully the following game.

Lions

Midfield excluding the wings.
We can mix it with the best but sometimes the group struggles.
When they struggle a bit in games, we tend to have either a close win or lose the game.
We need at a minimum to break even in this area.
The Lions do have a great mix of midfield players.
When they all fire, we are very good.

Forwards
The most potent in the AFL when given enough opportunity.
They are all very mobile so often take the opposition defenders out of their comfort zone.
However, if our midfield struggles, the forwards get less opportunity.

Defenders
This group has been far better than previous years in my opinion.
A good mix of defending well and attacking from our defense area.
If our midfield struggles it will have to be the attack from half back that generates enough forward fifty entries to keep us in the game.

Wings
At the start of the year this was our weak point in my opinion. Has been for a few years.
Fagan experimented with various midfielders filling in on a rotating basis.
This was always a bit of a gamble as I believe you need to settle on your wing structure.
It took till round 14 for things to change.
However, it was not till round 19 that our 3 wing positions were settled.
We have only lost 1 game since then and that was to the Suns. Go figure!

Substitute
I think they should stick to a mobile player against Carlton as Melbourne are now Gawn.
Lyons would be the logical choice. Experienced player with finals experience. Will easily fit into various types of rotations.
However, I would not be surprised if they went Gunston assuming he passes a fitness test.

Team Selection
Baring a training accident, i think the team pretty much goes in unchanged.
However, the Gunston talk will continue up until selection time.

Carlton
They just snuck home in the dying minute for a 2-point win over the Demons.
Just going on that game both teams played a similar brand of football.
Keep it moving forward as fast as they can.
This does create some quick shots on goal but not necessarily the type you want.
Also turns the game into a bit of to and fro with intercept balls reasonably regular.
Not necessarily just intercept marks even though there were quite a few of those.
The margin was 2 points, their previous encounter being just 4 points.
Melbourne kicked badly and it cost them dearly.
I won’t go into all the stats but the one that kept Carlton in the game was center clearances.
They won center clearances 13 - 8.

The Lions play a different type of game so it will be interesting to see if coaches adjust or change their game style at some stage during the game.

Carlton gets back Martin and McKay, but I doubt they include Silvagni.
Injuries from this game:
Docherty dislocated shoulder. He played on and played well.
Most likely Docherty fronts up next week.
Jacob Weitering clearly should have had a concussion test. I wonder if the AFL fines Carlton as that's about all they can do.
Most likely Weitering insists on playing as it is a PF.
Then later in life he joins the class action against the AFL and Carlton for showing no concern for his safety.

Off Topic - MCG Finals Crowd Attendance
GWS v Saints 68,465, with the other 3 games all over 90K
The 4-game average being 87,385. Thats some impressive crowd numbers.
A huge increase in prices for the PF but with the Pies playing it should be another bumper crowd at the G. The AFL loves the big clubs.

Summary
Like any finals game they are hard to win.
Can the Lions players with a little more finals experience under their belt take the next step?
We need to have a solid first quarter and withstand the pressure that comes from playing in a PF.
From there on I hope we can just find a way to slowly get the upper hand.

Hopefully after the game we are all talking about how good or bad our seats might be for the grand final.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Brisbane Lions v Carlton Blues: The Gabba, 5.15pm Saturday 23rd September 2023

We have been in this position twice in the last 4 finals appearances.
Both times a loss to the Cats. At least they are not our opponent this time.
Can we take the next step?
Members registered in the Grand final Ballot will be hoping so.
Especially those with P1 membership as they have a guaranteed seat.
Our most recent form is what matters going into this finals series.
As the saying goes, you are only as good as your last performance.
We easily accounted for Port and prior to that the Saints, Pies & Crows. So, good recent form.

I am not going to mention any Lions players names in this preview.
This game will require a team effort with some players standing up big time in this PF and hopefully the following game.

Lions

Midfield excluding the wings.
We can mix it with the best but sometimes the group struggles.
When they struggle a bit in games, we tend to have either a close win or lose the game.
We need at a minimum to break even in this area.
The Lions do have a great mix of midfield players.
When they all fire, we are very good.

Forwards
The most potent in the AFL when given enough opportunity.
They are all very mobile so often take the opposition defenders out of their comfort zone.
However, if our midfield struggles, the forwards get less opportunity.

Defenders
This group has been far better than previous years in my opinion.
A good mix of defending well and attacking from our defense area.
If our midfield struggles it will have to be the attack from half back that generates enough forward fifty entries to keep us in the game.

Wings
At the start of the year this was our weak point in my opinion. Has been for a few years.
Fagan experimented with various midfielders filling in on a rotating basis.
This was always a bit of a gamble as I believe you need to settle on your wing structure.
It took till round 14 for things to change.
However, it was not till round 19 that our 3 wing positions were settled.
We have only lost 1 game since then and that was to the Suns. Go figure!

Substitute
I think they should stick to a mobile player against Carlton as Melbourne are now Gawn.
Lyons would be the logical choice. Experienced player with finals experience. Will easily fit into various types of rotations.
However, I would not be surprised if they went Gunston assuming he passes a fitness test.

Team Selection
Baring a training accident, i think the team pretty much goes in unchanged.
However, the Gunston talk will continue up until selection time.

Carlton
This does create some quick shots on goal but not necessarily the type you want.
Also turns the game into a bit of to and fro with intercept balls reasonably regular.
Not necessarily just intercept marks even though there were quite a few of those.
The margin was 2 points, their previous encounter being just 4 points.
Melbourne kicked badly and it cost them dearly.
I won’t go into all the stats but the one that kept Carlton in the game was center clearances.
They won center clearances 13 - 8.

The Lions play a different type of game so it will be interesting to see if coaches adjust or change their game style at some stage during the game.

Carlton gets back Martin and McKay, but I doubt they include Silvagni.
Injuries from this game:
Docherty dislocated shoulder. He played on and played well.
Most likely Docherty fronts up next week.
Jacob Weitering clearly should have had a concussion test. I wonder if the AFL fines Carlton as that's about all they can do.
Most likely Weitering insists on playing as it is a PF.
Then later in life he joins the class action against the AFL and Carlton for showing no concern for his safety.

Off Topic - MCG Finals Crowd Attendance
GWS v Saints 68,465, with the other 3 games all over 90K
The 4-game average being 87,385. Thats some impressive crowd numbers.
A huge increase in prices for the PF but with the Pies playing it should be another bumper crowd at the G. The AFL loves the big clubs.

Summary
Like any finals game they are hard to win.
Can the Lions players with a little more finals experience under their belt take the next step?
We need to have a solid first quarter and withstand the pressure that comes from playing in a PF.
From there on I hope we can just find a way to slowly get the upper hand.

Hopefully after the game we are all talking about how good or bad our seats might be for the grand final.

giphy.gif

It’s a bit too real now I’m scared.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

5.15pm wtf is that time

Nice preview bruv
The AFL usually don't care about what other codes are doing.
In this case maybe they were working with the BCC bus transport department.
At 5.15pm the finish time will be around 8.15pm.
The Broncos game starts at 7.50 so there will be plenty of buses to get AFL people home to the CBD and outer suburbs.
Then the buses can get back in time for the Broncos fans to get them home.
I thought we would be slotted in around the 4.45pm mark.
With a 5.15pm start there will be no sun issues for players and fans.

I think 5.15pm it is a great time, but for fans that also follow the Broncos it is a clash.
I suppose they can head to the nearest Pub/Club after the game.

Apparently so Carlton can get a flight home Saturday night if they win.
Not sure why Port (qualifying final) and GWS (semi-final) weren't granted the same?
On top of that Collingwood get an opposition that has two round of travels on a six day break whilst we get a team on one lot of travel on an 8 day break.

Since when did finishing one spot ahead come with so many perks. In all honesty, the games should have been flipped so we played on a Friday night. Not too dissimilar to the first week of finals with Carlton being looked after and getting the Friday night game when by rights both us and Port by virtue of finishing top 4 should’ve got that night. I mean Carlton have been recipients of a very favourable draw in the finals whilst al of the intestate teams have had an inferior draw yet both us and Port finished too 4.

Apparently so Carlton can get a flight home Saturday night if they win.
Not sure why Port (qualifying final) and GWS (semi-final) weren't granted the same?
AFL House desperately want that Carlton v Collingwood MCG Blockbuster...

I'm conflicted about who I would rather play in the Grand Final IF we win this one.

IMO we are more likely to beat the Pies than the Giants, however IF we happen to lose the GF a loss to the Giants would be a tad less heart breaking and a bit easier to get over than a loss to the Pies... I dislike the Pies intensely, Giants are Meh.

A loss to the Pies in the GF and I would have to go off grid for a while, the flagellation of the Pies if they won the GF would be nauseating.

I shouldn't waste my time thinking about it, anyone anytime anywhere we win.

While it is tempting to think about who play in the granny the truth is we need to get past the Blues first.

We will have the home ground and, hopefully, the fans, well rested, not as banged up and the experience ... they will have some level of desperation (unless they have internalised we have done enough and are just there for the experience for the real tilt next year), possibly the umpires, a week's worth of narrative and the knowledge that they have the right to rule (purple)

If we show up to play a legitimate opposition we will win ... if we treat them as just a win to get through (see Suns and Hawks) then we might be in danger.

I think we will get it done but would prefer not to star in a last two minutes video afterwards!

GO LIONS!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While it is tempting to think about who play in the granny the truth is we need to get past the Blues first.

We will have the home ground and, hopefully, the fans, well rested, not as banged up and the experience ... they will have some level of desperation (unless they have internalised we have done enough and are just there for the experience for the real tilt next year), possibly the umpires, a week's worth of narrative and the knowledge that they have the right to rule (purple)

If we show up to play a legitimate opposition we will win ... if we treat them as just a win to get through (see Suns and Hawks) then we might be in danger.

I think we will get it done but would prefer not to star in a last two minutes video afterwards!

GO LIONS!!!!
Hopefully my post above yours does not put the multitude of Lions players and coaching staff who read Big Footy off the job at hand of beating the Blues next Saturday evening.;)

Very good

Pleased we are not playing the Giants. Carlton have struggled through games while Power played 10 minutes of terrific footy last night. They looked awesome

Yet just about every other footy supporter wants to see a Lions v Giants GF.

If this happens, I think the Giants will be the neutrals favorite.

Hell, if it's Giants and anyone else I'm going for the Giants. Love their jersey, orange looks good in a crowd and there song is catchy.

This is my biggest worry. We have had some shocking performances this year when we have underestimated opposition. It is going to be vital to start with high intensity.

If this happens, I think the Giants will be the neutrals favorite.

Hell, if it's Giants and anyone else I'm going for the Giants. Love their jersey, orange looks good in a crowd and there song is catchy.
Yeah well picking between Giants and Blues is one of the easier barracking decisions ever even with the Voss association (now that I Cameron isn't there anymore)!

This is my biggest worry. We have had some shocking performances this year when we have underestimated opposition. It is going to be vital to start with high intensity.
It would be a terrible indictment on our players and coaching staff if we go into a Preliminary Final with a lack of intensity and/or cockiness, just can not see it happening.

Carlton fans are up and about.
Many on their board are confident we will choke.

We should melt these guys. But this is finals, and players in beaten up teams lift.

We must be savage. We must keep our heads. If we do this, this will be a easy victory into the grand final.

Carlton played their Grand Final on Friday night. They are on the same trajectory as Brisbane were last year. Carlton and Brisbane were the underdogs who beat Melbourne at the MCG in a Semi-Final, before having to travel to play a rested opponent in the Preliminary. Last year Brisbane came back to the MCG and got smashed by eventual Premier, Geelong, while this year Carlton head North to the GABBA. The only difference I can see is that this year, Carlton look physically banged up, with a number of players under injury clouds.

If you are a Carlton supporter, you have absolute license to dream about a win. Your team gave you that. Like plenty of neutrals, I was out of my chair when Acres kicked the winning goal, in what anyone who loves football will recognise as a truly great football moment. It reminded me a little of Michael Conlan kicking the sealer to put Fitzroy a point in front of Essendon in the 1986 Elimination Final. Acres will be remembered for that moment.

As for the Brisbane Lions, there is a sense of destiny this year and we are playing the best football we have played since our return to relevance in 2019. Brisbane will go into the game with a largely unchanged side from the one that kicked 19.9.123 to dismantle Port Adelaide by 48 points.
Carlton are going to struggle to contain a forward line that boasts Daniher, Hipwood, Cameron, Rayner, Bailey and McCarthy. Brisbane have too many avenues to goal.

In the midfield, the Lions have Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage and a rejuvenated Zorko as the new “Fab Four” and Oscar McInerney winning ruck contests and generating clearances. Throw Fletcher and Berry in to the mix on the wings and Robertson, Rayner and Bailey into occasional rotations in the middle and the ‘engine room’ looks very well serviced.

Finally, Brisbane’s defence has been rock solid and super cohesive after Jed Adcock got the job of tuning it up as defensive line coach. Andrews is in great touch, intercept marking and spoiling beautifully, Payne is stepping up as a great understudy and Starcevich is one of the meanest lock down defenders playing. Where Brisbane have improved this year is they have reincorporated Ryan Lester, who is the king of ground ball gets, while also playing the ‘Backline General’ role and enlisted Connor McKenna, who has been a gun for us. Lester, McKenna, Coleman and Wilmot add something Brisbane haven’t been able to bring to previous Preliminary Finals, a balanced and aggressive rebounding unit.

This is what Carlton are going to come up against on Saturday and while they were heroically brave against Melbourne, against this Brisbane team, at the Gabba, on form, they are going to struggle.

Lions by lots.

When Brisbane and Carlton last met. 2023, Rd.8 - Marvel Stadium

2022 Encounter Rd. 21 - GABBA

Brisbane’s Last Game.

Carlton’s Last Game.

Last edited:
It would be a terrible indictment on our players and coaching staff if we go into a Preliminary Final with a lack of intensity and/or cockiness, just can not see it happening.
Carlton

These are the reasons why we win the game and win well.
We are able to keep structure under pressure other teams look panicky this finals series.
GWS the only other team that look really well structured and play with an actual game plan.

A lot of what I’m picking up, admittedly from a distance, is the extent to which our form and approaches are player led. The Port Adelaide game and player commentary that has followed really seems to bear this out. I think the players have got this.

I don’t see that happening - after 4 years of disappointment our time is now…

The players weren’t celebrating the qf win and are better prepared

The Melbourne game may be a blessing in disguise - we are now better at holding on in close games.

If we break even in centre clearance and get lots of ball into our forwards we should win this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back