VFL Round 21 - Footscray vs Collingwood at Whitten Oval (Pies lost 73-105)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll be at this game, it's a 20 min walk for me also. Looking forward to it, won't be easy, even with our amazing winning streak. It's almost a shame Clokey will be in the seniors

I'll be at this game, it's a 20 min walk for me also. Looking forward to it, won't be easy, even with our amazing winning streak. It's almost a shame Clokey will be in the seniors
Cloke might be in the seniors but you never know the seniors could be in the VFL.

Riddle me this ...

... Our VFL team has - not one - but two home grounds.

And yet we play finals at Princes Park? Um, so what's all that about then?
The VFL's ability to charge patrons entry at the gate. This is not possible at our home grounds.
We may have requested the venue given the criteria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game was initially set down for 12pm.

Changed to 11am

Now changed back to 12pm.

Well done VFL, maybe if you run your competition properly we could actually play a home final somewhere decent too.

TAC Cup finals fixture just came out. Princes Park will be hosting an Elimination and Qualifying Final double-header on Sunday September 4th, so reading between the lines, if this Princes Park home final nonsense does happen, we'll be playing our final on Saturday September 3rd.

7 day break from the Bulldogs game, which is good, but a 6 day break for the handful of AFL boys eligible for the finals, which is not so helpful...

So, yeah, this is happening...

:(:'(:mad:

One for our resident VFL expert MagpieBat I expect but have we ever won a minor premiership (as the VFL Magpies)?

I think our last reserves flag was 1976 so it's been a while between drinks for that too.

A win here isn't absolutely necessary but it would avoid Wiliamstown in week 1 of the finals and play one of the either Port, Cats or Sandy.

One for our resident VFL expert MagpieBat I expect but have we ever won a minor premiership (as the VFL Magpies)?

I think our last reserves flag was 1976 so it's been a while between drinks for that too.

A win here isn't absolutely necessary but it would avoid Wiliamstown in week 1 of the finals and play one of the either Port, Cats or Sandy.

Never won the minor premiership in the VFL hybrid comp era (2000 and 2008 to now).

Collingwood (that is, the team that plays in the AFL) did however tie for 1st place in the VFA back in 1896. In that comp in those days, you won the premiership simply by finishing on top. In 1896, we tied with South Melbourne for 1st and thus necessitated a play-off match (which we won to claim our first piece of premiership silverware!) 1892, on account of his name, was probably there, so he'll be able to tell you what the game was like and whether the official bests were accurate or not... :drunk:

As for who we would like to play, I'd personally prefer one of Geelong or Port Melbourne coming off a 6 day break. We've beaten both twice this year (indeed Geelong haven't beaten us for a few years now) and Williamstown will be coming off a bye, so I'd prefer if they and Casey knock each other around and force the loser over onto our side of the draw if we win (especially if Melbourne revert to type and pull their players out)...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back