Preview Round 22 - GWS v Richmond - Marvel Stadium - Friday 13 August 2021 - 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2021-08-11 (2).png
2021-08-12 (2).png

Ferrari v Rolls Royce

The Ferrari

GWS: (What’s so Great about Western Sydney anyway)?? and hereby known as ‘The Franchise’ were dreamt up in 2009 over a bottle of Grange by the AFL and gifted the greatest draft concessions (8 first rd picks in 2011 draft), financial assistance, highly credentialed personnel any franchise could ever want, along with priority access to any number of uncontracted players. If any sporting organisation around the world ever wanted to manufacture a new club, then this is how you do it.
I clearly recall back then like so many of us, that clubs like Richmond were never meant to be successful and the suffering we endured was going to continue for many years to come.
However, it’s fair to say when Leon Cameron was appointed coach in 2014 he was given the keys to the most talented football list ever assembled and had at his disposal an incredible group of footballers that should’ve set up the franchise for the next ten years.................................................Enter Richmond 2017

Ferrari 5 .jpg.png
Flashy manufactured banged up franchise that’s all go but very little to show

The Rolls Royce
Richmond: Established in 1885 during some piss 'n perve at the Royal Hotel, this mighty proud ‘Club’ boasts some of the greatest footballers in the history of the game along with the most passionate and loyal supporters in the land. Like all clubs we’ve had our ups and downs, which most diehard middle-aged supporters will tell you was bloody hard to take.
Enter Brendan Gale, Peggy O’Neal and Damien Hardwick......
Selecting a smart competent coach is one thing but for Benny to also start the Fighting Tiger Fund was a stroke of genius. However to finally commit to tearing down rat and possum infested club rooms and social club and invest in state of the art training facilities for players along with providing clean modern offices for staff, in my mind was a major turning point.

After a significant culling of many players during his first few years Dimma finally got the mix right with a simple but specific game plan catered to each individual player that revolved around focusing on defence first, immense forward pressure and lots of fast run & carry from half back. Since 2017 after a few honest and confronting team discussions, this club has gone onto success no one could honestly see coming and which also brought a culture of care & consideration that every other AFL player could only wish was at their club (hello Tex).

Simply............................ we are the Rolls Royce of Football Clubs

RFC Rolls 2020.jpg.png
Proud traditional club smoothly led by Benny, Peg and Dimma

Team RR 1.jpg
Confirmed 2022 new sponsorship deal - Out: Jeep In: Rolls Royce
Dusty RR.jpg
GOAT covered with class

Current Form
GWS: Giants form of late has been up and down like a pros panties but recent win against furballs at ABCD Stadium was impressive given their injuries. Toby Greenes absence from another brain fart moment on Stagerfield will help, but their quick ball movement and clean disposal by foot is an area we need to be aware of. Hopper and Taranto are both leading in disposals with 27 each, but Taranto also leads in clearances and handballs, so must be kept in check. Expecting Finlayson (if playing) to have more than 2 disposals by 3qtr time.

Richmond: Fair to say form over past six weeks has left a lot to be desired but any team that loses eight quality and experienced key position players in the space of a few weeks is always going to feel it. Those players would be walk straight into any other club with open arms. Its NOT an excuse but simply a FACT! Nonetheless, we plough on and do whatever we can to at least make finals with whoever we have and cause some sort of carnage. We're too good a club to just lie down and dismiss the season. If there's life, there's hope.

Possible Key Match Ups
Nank v Mummy: If available this should be an interesting contest. Mummy has a history of white line fever........ with a habit of 'recklessly' falling onto a players back claiming he's just being careless. Reckon 110kg frame would end your game right there. Believe it or not Mumford is classed as elite in tackles, but only averages 2 marks and 3 kicks. Nank on the other hand has the mobility to impact the game so much more being elite in handballs and tackles. Expect him to dominate and roam around half back to assist our back six.

mumford knee 1.jpg
Just another careless accident.............ummmm

Taranto v Prestia: Should be an interesting battle this. Meatballs is just starting to string a few games together after an interrupted season so expect him to improve. He's clean hands are elite and disposal by foot is as good as any player. Taranto however is on fire at the moment averaging 27 disposals a game and their leading kick getter. Dion needs to switch on once oppos have the pill because Taranto can do some real damage running forward.

Riewoldt v Nick Haynes: JR8 enjoys playing against the short people. Seems to register more contested marks against them than any other team and no doubt has left deep scars from 19 GF. Haynes though was an incredible game that day amassing 15 marks and continues to be a gun reliable defender. Would expect JR to be the lead up forward while Lunch stays at home to hopefully clunk those marks and for the sake of humanity......kick straight!

Game Summary
Providing Shocking doesn't come up with last minute overnight rule change to justify his salary, I'm confident we can come home with the bickies. We appear to be gradually getting back our players but whether we've left our run too late time will tell. One of the keys is simply to kick straight. Our inside 50 opportunities are as good as anyone but our conversion rate at Marvel has been ordinary. Giants midfield is the one area for concern as all their mids are clean slick runners. As a minimum we must break even at centre clearances.
One thing for certain is we CANNOT just bomb it long expecting grabs from Lynch/JR or crumbing from our smalls. Short 30m delivery to a lead up forward is the way to go imo as evidenced by our 2nd half against norf. This is simply an absolute must win....................... otherwise we'll be planning for our first full pre season in 5 years.

Tip: Tigs by 15

Last edited:

Toby should be cleared at tribunal, but hopefully not.
I think 1 week is the proper penalty.

What has left me dumbfounded is Selwood getting a fine when he clearly goes for the head.

Geelong,the most protected club of all time,even get a tailor made rulebook written for them then sook and moan about shortening the quarters so their pensioners can run out games better.

Fast becoming the Veruca Salts of the comp.

I think 1 week is the proper penalty.

What has left me dumbfounded is Selwood getting a fine when he clearly goes for the head.

Geelong,the most protected club of all time,even get a tailor made rulebook written for them then sook and moan about shortening the quarters so their pensioners can run out games better.

Fast becoming the Veruca Salts of the comp.
Fritsch got cleared for the same thing by tribunal so he really should get off.

Agree on selwood. A joke.

Fritsch got cleared for the same thing by tribunal so he really should get off.

Agree on selwood. A joke.

I love Toby.

Whatever happens,a tough game,you know if Toby does keep his suspension,Cameron will use this as motivation to stir his players up plus the well known fact we are everyone’s grand final.

Giants turn to run their little leggies off.

We need to play 4 quarters of our recent best. then we win. If we play our recent worst we get smashed.

I reckon we win this. But our form is so up and down recently.

And kick straight!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toby Greene will be cleared to play

No mucking around here, Grimes to him and we win

If Pickett and McIntosh are right to return this week, it will be interesting to see what we do. In the second half we used Hugo and Dow as our two wings and both played well. However, I think they're probably the two most likely to make way.

I think MJ should get another run. I thought his defensive intent stood out and the stats back this up. He had 21 pressure acts in his first game, which is a big improvement on the output we've been getting from George and Aarts (who average 14.3 and 14.2 respectively).

I don't think Broad will be back, but on the off chance that he is I think he'd probably take Mansell's spot.

This is a finals for us and GWS and if by other results we make it into the 8, then watch out. If Martin was a possibility of inclusion (which he's not), I'd make us favourites for the flag. If we lose this we deserve to be out. Make or break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back