Preview Round 4: Essendon vs Carlton, MCG, Saturday 27/06/2020 @ 7:40 PM (As it stands)

Winner winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d be interested to see if any other side has played less young guys/draft picks than us in the past 5 years - I’d suggest not. Zaka still playing at AFL level is laughable
Adelaide, and Sydney outside their gun academy prospects, haven't been overly stellar.

I'm really curious to see what role Cutler plays against the Blues - I'd like to think he's given a tagging role on Cripps.
At 192cm and 92kg he really is the only true mid who can match man child Cripps (195cm and 92kg) for size, Jake Stringer is the other option who is a decent match for size (192cm, 95kg) so I'd like to see him rotate through half forward and mid field.
The other thing me and many others on here would like to see is Hooker froward. With the reliable Marty Gleeson back in the team I think theres a good chance we see Hooker forward a bit for this match. All in all its a solid team, and once the game settles I hope we see we see a line up like;-

Gleeson Hurley Francis
Redman Ridley Saad
McGrath Smith Merrett
Stringer Langford Tippa
McKernan Hooker Townsend

Bellcho Cutler Shiel

Bench: Parish Fanta Snelling Zakka

Cutler is an outside player who barely gets any contested possessions. He's essentially a taller Zaharakis whose better in the air. I don't think there's any chance he plays on Cripps.

I would guess we'll just rotate guys through and Stringer will probably have a stint but we'll also use smaller blokes as well. Its not really a big deal that we've got a size mismatch, he pretty much would always have an advantage in that area except maybe vs Bulldogs.

I agree with the call to play Hooker forward though. I've been wanting that the whole time. Also gives us the option of bringing back BZT in the near future which I'm keen on.

once upon a time you'd be happy for Casboult to mark it cause hed kick 85% of his shots into row zz...

hows he go with that these days?
He's far from the best kick, but if he gets his tail up...

Seriously though, he's basically a consistent version of McKernan.

Anything we get from Mckernan will be a bonus this week given he’ll likely have to contend with both Weitering and Jones in the air
Yeah, I don't think Jones is playing that well. Carlton's defence has been leaky as hell and Weitering has basically destroyed everyone he's played on this year.

Yeah, I don't think Jones is playing that well. Carlton's defence has been leaky as hell and Weitering has basically destroyed everyone he's played on this year.

I think their defensive problems are more to do with their midfield being average defensively rather than their back 6 being poor.

I think their defensive problems are more to do with their midfield being average defensively rather than their back 6 being poor.
Don't buy that. Five teams are conceding more inside 50's per game, only one of those concedes more goals in Adelaide.

Don't buy that. Five teams are conceding more inside 50's per game, only one of those concedes more goals in Adelaide.
Not necessarily. If there is no defensive pressure on opposition midfields as the move and deliver the ball inside 50 then you will leak goals and it wouldnt matter who your defence consists of.

Quality of inside 50 is much more important that quantity imo. I mean our game plan last season was a good example of that. We gave up plenty of low quality repeat inside 50s because we kicked long and wide regularly whilst keeping our back 6 in place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quality of inside 50 is much more important that quantity imo. I mean our game plan last season was a good example of that. We gave up plenty of low quality repeat inside 50s because we kicked long and wide regularly whilst keeping our back 6 in place.
They're conceding a middle of the road amount of inside 50's whilst conceding a high amount of goals.

The blues have the 2nd highest marks inside 50 this year behind PA. It's imperative that the midfield pressure is first rate to ensure shallow / dump entries. OUr backline consists of 4-5 very good overhead marks so we should do well in the aerial contest.

where do you see Walsh ending up as a player?

After that brilliant first year im not so sure he propels into superstardom, just makes some odd decisions and isnt totally hurtful by foot. Can never doubt his ability to find it, get into good positions ect though

maybe a Marc Murphy type?

After that brilliant first year im not so sure he propels into superstardom, just makes some odd decisions and isnt totally hurtful by foot. Can never doubt his ability to find it, get into good positions ect though

The shortened quarters doesn’t help Walsh as his endurance really doesn’t come to the fold as much as it does in a normal length game. He can hurt you when he is up and running

Classic 2nd year blues from what i can tell.

Also doesnt help that he is probably Carltons 2nd best midfielder behind Cripps, so undoubtedly opposition teams are putting far more work into him this year and has been worked out to some extent.

Not to say he wont still be a star, im sure he will, but there wouldnt be many 19yo midfielders that have had to learn how to deal with a tag this early in his career. He'll be fine.

Murphy isnt a bad example, but i thought he reminded me of Luke Power in how he played, which would be a fantastic career.

Pull his finger out? He hasn’t allowed any other ruckman this year to allow silver service to opposition mids. In terms of pure hitouts he hasn’t been beaten yet.
Sorry I should’ve said that the pill his finger out was in reference to his presence around the ground, only 2 marks so far this year. We need him to compete better down the line as our bail out kick coming from d50. While also didnt verse two of the best rucks in the league and I thought Sinclair well and truly had his measure.

i hope he turns out like marc murphy

k1b8fID.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back