Review Round 6, 2022 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

We kicked a big score against a SANFL team, we were 1.20 to win. Im actually impressed we won a game we were heavy favourites for, but thinking this is anything but a training run is over the top.

Robbie West's son Connor was lively. Would have liked Port to have picked him up in the mid-season draft. Robbie made a huge impression in his premiership season at Port. Robbie's early career end was a tragedy.

Nobody is criticising Sinn the player. We gave up a lot specifically to get him and the question is being asked whether that was justified given we have a number of players who play a similar style already, most of whom we also invested a lot of draft capital in.

Robbie West's son Connor was lively. Would have liked Port to have picked him up in the mid-season draft. Robbie made a huge impression in his premiership season at Port. Robbie's early career end was a tragedy.
Nah, Connor West is a Kane Mitchell/Sam Gray tier state league spud. Too good for SANFL (or WAFL in his case), not good enough for AFL.

Nah, Connor West is a Kane Mitchell/Sam Gray tier state league spud. Too good for SANFL (or WAFL in his case), not good enough for AFL.

We drafted McEntee.

Was really pissed at the carparking shitshow at AO yesterday. Someone changed the method of going in from last season. Was absolute bumper to bumper for 45 minutes. Beyond stupid. Completely missed all ANZAC pre game despite arriving an hour before first bounce.
I don't know what to take from yesterday's game as West Coast were absolutely pathetic.
Connor Rozees 1st half especially was as good as I've seen from him. Breaking tackles and just too fast. Houston played good strong footy I thought. Wines and Boak impressive. Sam Hayes I just don't see what coaches think sometimes holding back players like this. Bigfooty knew this guy would make a huge difference why don't our coaching staff?
Those calling out Jonas and Clurey have NFI.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, by no means was dumont bad, he didn’t put a foot wrong, but I’m sure there’s a picture of him next to the word vanilla in the dictionary. Didn’t really do much today I thought in a game we dominated.

I reckon there’s still a fair bit of ‘suck it and see’ with his form and fitness at the moment.

Before his lower leg issues he was one of those excellent lowkey mids who could play in a variety of roles and give you a 8 or 9-out-of-10, no worries: accumulator, stopper, wingman, high half-forward, extra halfback, the works.

If he can get his fitness base and confidence back he’ll be a steal at just 26/27yo, if he can’t it’ll be more like Jack Trengove 2.0. A luxury break glass option, but shouldn’t be in the queue ahead of younger options, as you’ve said.

PORT ADELAIDE coach Ken Hinkley took pride in his side sticking together during its tough opening to the season and although admitting its 84-point win over West Coast was far from perfect, was pleased with signs of improvement.

Playing at home in front of a vocal crowd at Adelaide Oval, Hinkley’s side conceded the first goal but booted the next eleven to break the game open.

West Coast finally added to its goal tally early with three quick goals in the last quarter but it was always Port’s game as the home side got its first win of the season and first against the Eagles at Adelaide Oval in its sixth attempt.

The West Coast side on paper was not nearly as undermanned as people have been saying. The forward 6 are all AFL players, the midfield had genuine quality and the defence had some decent experience and quality, although it was thin.

They really missed Powerspud Petruccelle who likes to haunt us.

What I couldn't get over was how bad they were. Kennedy and Darling were there for decoration, Ryan just played for frees, Rioli was invisible. Shuey, Kelly et al found the ball but did nothing with it and the defence was under siege. Barrass took a couple of nice marks, Hurn looked like he wondered whether one more season was such a good idea.

But even so, their game plan suits Adelaide Oval and they have continually embarrassed us there.

End of the day it was almost a no win situation. * a corpse and everyone calls you a necrophiliac, but no one wants to be the US politician who lost to a dead guy.

I just saw the replay. Dumont and Jonas get overly whipped here.
Marshall finally looked like he believed to be out there, the silver lining of no Dixon.

Nobody is criticising Sinn the player. We gave up a lot specifically to get him and the question is being asked whether that was justified given we have a number of players who play a similar style already, most of whom we also invested a lot of draft capital in.

Time will tell but I don't think he's going to be another half bank flanker type for us.

He's a big lad already with a 60 metre kick, silky skills and pace to burn.

I see him in time as a Judd type.

The West Coast side on paper was not nearly as undermanned as people have been saying. The forward 6 are all AFL players, the midfield had genuine quality and the defence had some decent experience and quality, although it was thin.

Their team this year has been much worse than last night.

I read something about Nic Nat the other day that WC either win more games or more centre clearances when he's not there, can't remember which, but it sounded very counter intuitive. He missed their 2018 premiership, so maybe there's something in it. Didn't help them yesterday, but ;)

Watched the replay. Pick up some things you don't see live.

1st quarter as bad as the 1st half versus Carlton. o_O
Kicked jus 4 goals from late 2nd quarter to midway into the last quarter :rolleyes:
Kicked 6 gòals in 12 minutes in 2nd quarter and 6 in 13 minutes in the last.
Quite a roller coaster!

Even when kicking bags of sausage rolls, whilst the intent, tackle pressure and aggression at the contest to win the ball or force a turnover was fabulous, and the running in waves to present options was brilliant, the movement into the forward 50 still lacked fluency. Not as many goals were from coast to coast transition across the lines and crisp, efficient delivery to a lasing forward.

Many of our goals were the result of sporadic individual acts of brilliance ie. snaps from the boundary line, rather than link plays ending with an easy pass to a player on the lead in space straight in front of goal.

Fortunately, we did discover a few times how to get most of the forwards spreading all over the place to get defenders to follow them and open up alleyways to lead into. Bonner, Houston and Farrell delivered a taste of things to come with a few sublime passes to said leading forwards.

Need to build on that foundation and not regress into a defensive mindset again! That's whwt people want to see more of. None of this treacle slow movement from defence nor forwards standing hands on hips like witches hats.

Work hard (hi Ken :D) and try to create opportunities, instead of being lazy ****s all the time, and just hoping things will "magically" happen.

Something to build on though. See if they can ramp it up a couple of notches versus St K.

Thought Jonas was good but Clurey was pretty shakey and way too slow with his decision making, especially in the first half. Crowd at the northern end was getting pissed off with his inability to get the ball moving

Remove this Banner Ad

Back