Preview Round 6 - Geelong v Sydney, Saturday 1:45pm, GHMBA

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Parsons goal kicking is saving him. When he's had quiet games he's at least chipped in with a couple of goals.

He has shown a ability to not give up, whereas for example Motlop when he has a stinker really goes off the boil, I have liked the way Parsons doesn't give up and has some influence (However minimal) on the game in the end.

In saying that, he would have to be close to heading back to the VFL even if it is to just get some touch.

Swans will bring manic pressure in this one and with the smallish side they have picked will likely keep it up all game - it's danger Will Robinson IMHO
Our young brigade will have to withstand it - they may try to isolate a Henry deep for instance , I'm also worried about Parsons and Gregson strength over the ball ( Gregson used to be so balanced now he falls over constantly)
We can't afford to drop this one - hope we're well prepared :eek:

I think Parsons goal kicking is saving him. When he's had quiet games he's at least chipped in with a couple of goals.
Parsons is shaping as another Geelong 'teaser'
lots of upside, but whether it is realized remains to be seen. Definitely knows where the goals are, but needs to work harder. Not sure whether gifting games to him at this stage of his career will help that aspect of his game.
(cue the flamers)

This Thurlow situation isn’t working out well for anyone. He’s a talented player. He had a poor 2017. He is fit and ready to go. Gets brought in for one match, plays OK and is dropped for a guy that averages ten touches and two tackles a game.

Something NQR about it all. Unless he’s a late in I’m giving up hope.

It's classic Geelong.

Thurlow had other clubs interested in his services last year, Geelong say piss off and keep him on the list only to drop him after a game. Then come seasons end we will trade him for half a bag of twisties and an empty can of coke, or just delist him for no reason.

Same s**t happened with Tom Gillies. We would have made out like absolute bandits if we traded him to Hawthorn when the opportunity arose.

Thurlow deserves an extended run in the side, more than Zac Guthrie does IMO.

Thurlow had 9 effective disposals last week and 3 clangers, 1 which resulted directly in a goal. He was a lot more composed before his knee injury.

Gregson adds pressure in the forward line which is something we’ve needed for years.
Mate Gregson has played mainly wing this year averages 8.5 effective disposals and 2.5 tackles, to single out Thurlow stats based on one highly congested game is rubbish when he competed well and did his job as part of our best back performance for the year. Not sure if you realize in a congested game where the overall stats are down, individual stats are lower as well. I feel he has fully recovered from his knee so to blame that is rubbish he plained some really good games late last year so was clearly over the knee. Thurlow just needs an opportunity at a run of games like MOST others get to reestablish himself, we can all single a player out and make big statements. How about compare his stats against some others and compare , even though Thurlow has only has one congested low possesion game to show his wares.
Thurlow 9 effective disposals 3 tackles, 2018 averages Parsons 8.5 and 1.2, Henry 7 and 2.5, Gregson 8.5 and 2.5, Bews 10 and 1, Kolo 12 and 1. So summary is Gregson Parsons Henry really lucky to maintain their spots ahead of Thurlow??

Sorry - completely off topic for this match but I didn't know where else to post this and its for next weeks match vs GWS.

I just received an email from GMHBA informing me I've been successful entry for the GMHBA Fan Portal Cats vs GWS match - I know I entered something with them (never won anything last year when I entered), but I was wondering if anyone else has been successful or knows anything about it.

The prize includes tickets & access to the GMHBA Fan Portal in the Brownlow Stand - is that where you can watch the guys warm up pre-match?

Sorry for being off topic & mods can move this to a more appropriate place if they wish.

Cheers & thanks

Sorry - completely off topic for this match but I didn't know where else to post this and its for next weeks match vs GWS.

I just received an email from GMHBA informing me I've been successful entry for the GMHBA Fan Portal Cats vs GWS match - I know I entered something with them (never won anything last year when I entered), but I was wondering if anyone else has been successful or knows anything about it.

The prize includes tickets & access to the GMHBA Fan Portal in the Brownlow Stand - is that where you can watch the guys warm up pre-match?

Sorry for being off topic & mods can move this to a more appropriate place if they wish.

Cheers & thanks
Official Cats.:D
A quick google and it looks like a bloody good prize old son,you are in for a treat.

Last edited:

Cheers & thanks
I don't know what it means, but I look forward to a full report!

Cheers & thanks

I don't know but i'm pretty sure you have it pegged correctly. Sounds very cool and have fun with it.

GO Catters

I was a huge Thurlow fan, but he has never seemed to regain the same form since his injury. Even in the magoos he is rarely a stand out. Maybe a change of club would help him.

He has only returned from the knee barely 12 months ago. It's well understood that the average player struggles in the first 12 months after returning from a knee and generally improves thereafter. We invested a lot in this kid, why isn't he being gifted games in the same way as someone like gregson, who we can also expect to improve as he puts the injuries behind him. Maybe they will, but I get that sinking feeling that they are playing favourites and he is on the outer.

He has shown a ability to not give up, whereas for example Motlop when he has a stinker really goes off the boil, I have liked the way Parsons doesn't give up and has some influence (However minimal) on the game in the end.

In saying that, he would have to be close to heading back to the VFL even if it is to just get some touch.
Parsons has ZERO work rate. Unless things fall into his lap, he isnt interested. Just as big a passenger as Motlop ever was.
I hope you enjoy his 9-10 possession, and zero pressure acts game this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parsons has ZERO work rate. Unless things fall into his lap, he isnt interested. Just as big a passenger as Motlop ever was.
I hope you enjoy his 9-10 possession, and zero pressure acts game this week.
http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/5/port-v-geel
Link to stats last week for those saying Thurlow should have been dropped. He ranked 2nd behind Zac Tuohy of the back six and had 8 players beneath him overall and was in the top 10 in efficiency. FWIW. So I maintain he was bloody unlucky to be omitted and hasn't been given a fair go compared to others.

It's classic Geelong.

Thurlow had other clubs interested in his services last year, Geelong say piss off and keep him on the list only to drop him after a game. Then come seasons end we will trade him for half a bag of twisties and an empty can of coke, or just delist him for no reason.

Same s**t happened with Tom Gillies. We would have made out like absolute bandits if we traded him to Hawthorn when the opportunity arose.

I am more than happy with Zuthrie getting as many games as possible. Tremendous upside as his body develops. As composed a young player as I’ve seen. Elite decision making under pressure and sensible disposal in traffic. Shades of a young Ken Hinkley for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am more than happy with Zuthrie getting as many games as possible. Tremendous upside as his body develops. As composed a young player as I’ve seen. Elite decision making under pressure and sensible disposal in traffic. Shades of a young Ken Hinkley for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.

Link to stats last week for those saying Thurlow should have been dropped. He ranked 2nd behind Zac Tuohy of the back six and had 8 players beneath him overall and was in the top 10 in efficiency. FWIW. So I maintain he was bloody unlucky to be omitted and hasn't been given a fair go compared to others.
I’ve been saying it from round 1, and it explains some of the horrid match committee selections this season. There’s a lot of obvious nepotism creeping into the club around selection. You’re either in with Scott or you’re not

Last edited:

Whilst I do agree, it’s about how the best 22 looks overall, it’s never about one player vs another. We brought in Gregson and Hawkins this week, which tells me the role Thurlow played last week doesn’t fit our plan for the Swans.

I’ve been saying it from round 1, and it explains some of the horrid match committee selections this season. There’s a lot of obvious nepotism creeping into the club around selection. You’re either in with Scott or you’re not
Say what:huh:
Edit that's better.

Last edited:
Whilst I do agree, it’s about how the best 22 looks overall, it’s never about one player vs another. We brought in Gregson and Hawkins this week, which tells me the role Thurlow played last week doesn’t fit our plan for the Swans.
So we are going in with one less defender? Hawk full back or Gregson back pocket

For those criticising the Thurlow decision who was he better than last week? Looking through the team I'm struggling to name anyone. Can anyone remember a moment where he really impacted the game? I can from almost every other player but the only play that stuck in my mind was the turnover which led to a goal. Yeah he could've been kept but I can't agree that he deserved to be selected or that he was particularly unlucky.

It's classic Geelong.

Stevie J to GWS is the worst one IMO.

If the rumours were true, we should have all pitched in for an Uber.

For those criticising the Thurlow decision who was he better than last week? Looking through the team I'm struggling to name anyone. Can anyone remember a moment where he really impacted the game? I can from almost every other player but the only play that stuck in my mind was the turnover which led to a goal. Yeah he could've been kept but I can't agree that he deserved to be selected or that he was particularly unlucky.
Gregson should have stayed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back