Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Hawks go down to Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Not seeing the Reeves bashers here this week. Got the better of what would currently be the AA ruck
I’ll put my hand up, Reeves was actually very good against English today against my expectations.

I expected Ned would beat English in the hit outs but to match (beat?) English’s output around the ground came as a massive surprise (positive surprise obviously).

Over the last few weeks it feels like our overall team performance/output is way below the individual player performances
I’ve noticed this as well.

Feels like the players aren’t exactly sure what the game plan is yet? Forward line in particular seems very ad him in their movements.

Definitely are t getting reward on the scoreboard for our periods of dominance in the midfield which we have had a lot of recently.

Made it to the game after flying for over 20 hours from the UK. Was great to see a game in person and see the core for the future. Enjoyed seeing the youngsters even with the fade out late and inefficiency going forward. The doggies were just too good and got us a few times with their spread and run.

Loved the games of Reeves, Day and Nash.

Overall, a lot to like despite the result.

Reeves is continuing to build and starting to contribute at ground level with handballs and tackles. Also clunked a few which is nice.

Lewis is back!

Day, Newk, Nash and Ward all good.

Agree with others that CJ has been fumbly, and today was one of Morisson’s poorer games.

Greene struggled, but it may be lack of partnership with Lewis and not being the main man - he still could have had 2 or 3 goals though.

I’m not a fan of dropping players after one match, so Rama and Weddle get another run for mine.

I worried before the game that we were a rotation short in the midfield and I think it panned out that way. Not sure for who, but I’d love one of the CMacs back in

I agree a lot to like .. the first half was impressive .. but lack of polish and turn overs hurt .. the application can’t be questioned .. just lacking a bit of team cohesion but that will come when the game plan comes to fruition .. a lot of positives to take out of the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will never, ever cease to amaze me just how short-sighted and lacking in football knowledge many people can be. Most of the players whose places in the side and even the club have been severely questioned by moronic fans who have no idea what they’re talking about are playing well or at least improving significantly- Nash, Reeves, Worple, Frost, Impey etc .
It’s laughable and it happens every year…

The Good:
  • the return of Day & Lewis
  • the midfield of Day, Duke, and Nash in particular… they realistically out-performed the Doggies midfield which are rated higher and paid much more than our boys.
  • the marks and number of shots taken by Lewis… he was clunking them and it’s great he ended up with 5 shots on goal.
  • the first half of Bruest… kicking 3 straight in the first half was excellent.
  • the work of Reeves in the ruck, playing very well against the in-form ruck of the comp, taking a few big grabs, tackling etc.
  • our work rate… we were running hard all day and now checking the stats - sure enough we covered 4km more than the Dogs across the game. Morrison and Newcombe were the top 2 players from a distance perspective, and I think some people here underrate some of the positives that Morrison brings.

The Disappointments:
  • selection… unsurprisingly, we were left wanting for an extra tall down back. The extra tall would have allowed Weddle to use his run, particularly against the tall forward line of the Doggies.
  • umpiring… don’t need to say much more - some atrocious calls and non-calls.
  • the 2nd half performances of Greene and Bruest. Both picked up injuries/were sore - so a bit of an out.
  • the poor performances of Moore and Wingard. Moore has been down on form and will bounce back, but Wingard hasn’t done enough.
  • misfiring Lewis… if his 1.4 are 4.1, this would have made the game very interesting. A good 1st game back from injury though and will be better for the run.
  • Frost and CJ… the ball use atm is an issue, and it really frustrates me when we can’t get a fist on the ball in a pack mark. Whilst they are not the only defenders to make these mistakes - from a quantity perspective, they certainly seem to make the most mistakes.

Loving the progression we’re showing.

Also, thinking back to Sammy’s preseason prediction of winning more games in the 2nd half of the year - reckon this is spot on. Looks like we’re seeing growth in each game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardwick’s stats, including his 80ish% disposal efficiency are the same as last season (except he’s averaging 6 rebound 50s not 4) when he finished 4th in the PCM. Really don’t see what the concern is with his form - he’s looked solid as always.

One of the first picked and rightly so

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Add the Wizard +Butler to this side next year to crumb off Lewis and we suddenly have a dangerous dynamic forwardline.

No chance for Reid. North and Eagles in a league of their own.

Dimma’s stats today: 27 disposals, 12 marks. Awesome.
Another one who’s been ludicrously questioned…

Only issue with Dimma is his decision making has gone to toilet in the last year. Once one of our most reliable and adventurous with ball in hand pinging laser beams. Now he's good for a massive clanger or two a game or a timid kick up to the wing.

Hopefully gets his groove back. Still one of our first picked as he's one of the best lockdown defenders in the comp.

Hardwick’s stats, including his 80ish% disposal efficiency are the same as last season (except he’s averaging 6 rebound 50s not 4) when he finished 4th in the PCM. Really don’t see what the concern is with his form - he’s looked solid as always.
First 2 games and the preseason he was way off his best defensively but I have no idea why people have a problem since then, one of the first picked.

One of the issues I see with Day back in the side is that we haven't got the balance yet, I feel it takes Newc out a bit too much. I get it because he can have an impact forward unlike some of our mids, but I also feel like he's the most like to get a really high impact and clean clearance. Reeves and Newc have a really good connection.

We're definitely a better side with Day, don't get me wrong, I just think we've almost got too many options in the midfield now and it's still shaking out a bit. These guys just need time together, now - that goes for the players and the coaching group.

f43c133dde8d5272909bb82bbb06f2cb.png

This is where we lost any chance of winning,

Dimma’s stats today: 27 disposals, 12 marks. Awesome.
Another one who’s been ludicrously questioned…
Played a good game and kept Weightman extremely quiet. Not sure those 27 disposals are a good thing especially some of the boring ball use in the 2nd half

Remove this Banner Ad

Back