Autopsy Round 9, 2023 : Hawks burnt by Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell, Weddle, Mackenzie, Jiath, MacDonald, Moore and Ward are all far better options on the wing than Morrison.
Besides the fact that most of those other players already have positions on the ground?

Personally i feel we find our self a CHF and another goal sneak, an we will be winning a few more games.

I feel playing Wingard, koschitzke and Bramble is only getting us closer to the wooden spoon.

An i am sad to say this, but it truly hope Bruest contract is turned into a coaching role in 2024.

Newcombe flies under the radar and is the only bloke that makes us look even remotely likely to score with the ball in hand. He's an absolute star and when we're a better side he'll obviously be our best player. Love Day, but Newc is the one that'll cause the damage.

Thought Butler did tremendously well for a player put in a really bad position to succeed. Love to see that he was second for ground covered. Worked really hard.

Meek was a stand out also, really bodied up well with Gawn round the ground and stopped him from having his usual impact.

On the negative side, we just can't keep turning it over where we do. I have faith it'll improve once we've gelled a bit better and learned to control the tempo and pick our opportunities, but at the same time there are players like Harry who I have had faith in that just aren't executing the skills that they should be.

That said, unless we place a lot of faith in Weddle, Harry will be given the rest of the year to rectify that because no matter the calls to drop him we just don't have anyone who can come in for that role.

A classy player like Day is made by his forwards being able to lead to the spaces he can reach.

Newk looks more damaging now because he can use his brute force to will the ball. Doesn't have to rely on his forwards to make it come off.

They are both going to be super for us going forward.

Nash playing defensive mid. Frenchy getting the ball into Newk and Day's hands in space and Ward running up and down.

We have the makings of a top 4 midfield. We just lack experience now.

Unfortunately watched 1st half
Unfortunately missed the 3rd
Unfortunately watched the 4th

Skills errors under pressure happen, but under no pressure is a killer. This must improve with experience and player turnover, can’t keep playing the butchers. Hard skilled teams win finals.

Shepherding do we ever do it?

Easily 4 or 5 changes this week.

Sic, Newk, Meek, Day, Mackenzie, worpel all good.

Our veterans are letting us down week after week, can’t rely on the youngsters every week the veterans need to show leadership and effort.

Huddo calling Nuke Worpel was Kellie Underwood like

Looking for forward to watching live next week, Hawks by 39

I dont know how it looked on TV. But holy hell that was grim live. Turn overs were absolutely disgusting

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
Yep! Same. I thought this was going to be the worst result of the year during the first half but the second half was a fair effort and if we had played to that level against the bombers and the cats we would have managed respectable losses in those games, rather than being thrashed. A small step in the right direction.

Commentary was very complimentary on us in the 3rd which was nice. But because we couldn't follow up in the 4th, I don't what we learned.
Nice to see the rookies get on the board....that was kind of the point of the night I suppose?
If we don't play 4 even quarters vs West Coast I'll be very concerned though.

I thought we tried really hard. In the end lacking in any polish or class. Can’t have pick 6 not playing, scrimshaw etc and think depth behind that get us through. Maybe it clicks long term but it’s hope not obvious potential atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Third qtr was great.

Last qtr was a dead rubber and had nothing in it.

First half was extremely poor and we can’t spin it any other way. Watching some players pull out of contests or duck heads to avoid contact was concerning. Players leading back towards goals looking for one out the back is also annoying me .

A few players jog around with no intensity. Some refuse to chase or tackle. Some refuse to even man up. Some of the field kicking was deplorable again. CJ murders it, Dimma murders it, Frosty murders it, Morrison murders it and Chads efforts are not there at all. Chad looks like he has been told he won’t be getting another contract and has switched off.
That is a decent chunk of senior players and that is a major concern.

Before anyone jumps in and tells me about Melbourne and how great they are, I reckon they were only just travelling today as a team and spent a large chunk mucking around with the ball.

Todays performance for me I would rate 3/10.

6 changes today and I would suggest there will be a fair few next week until Sam finds a team that all buys in and gives the effort required.

Meek just soldiering on against two bloody good ruckmen. 6 tackles with a goal. Good on him.
You can see the Hunger in him when is in a contest. Seems to be playing like it is his last game and last ruck contest. Very committed, just needs to polish up some skills and have players who can understand & work with him.

Probably our biggest issue all year for me (just above our lack of a forward line) is the form of our senior players.

Sicilys still been good but apart from him who else? I guess Impeys been okay as well.

Chad looks cooked/not invested, Bruest (whilst still kicking the odd goal here and there) looks cooked, Frost has been okay but has his limitations, Morrison is just going, even Hardwick is struggling.

That’s what hursts us. Other teams like Collingwood and Geelong still rely on their veteran players to lead from the front and set standards (Dangerfield, Pendlebury, etc) whereas we are having to cover for ours (Sicily excepted).

Just my two cents on a few burning issues for me.

When you win a centre clearance get the ball into the forward line fast. It is why they bought in the 6-6-6. Don't overuse it and then turn it over.
Don't keep handballing when you've got yourself into trouble, better to kick it rather than turn it over.
When you have momentum and are putting on pressure don't try to kick the impossible, instead maintain the pressure by keeping the ball forward.

I thought Kosi did alright today. When we were pumping in the 3rd he made Lever accountable.
Harry needs to go back and find some kicking form. He was really reliable last year.
A few youngsters learnt the pace of the game. Butler with a couple of missed opportunities and Weddle waiting for the ball rather than going to where it will be. (But they will be better for it).

And Seamus' spoil running back with the flight in the last .....
Noah Centineo Chef GIF by Allure

Saw plenty from our young brigade today including Butler, Weddle & Mackenzie,

Day & night the difference Weddle makes on the wing over Morrison & the forward pressure Butler provides over Wingard.

Wingard & Morrison need a spell at Box Hill
Need a winger who can mark and has penetration by foot. I loved Dipper back in the day who could provide a target a created a presence on his side of the ground. I agree with most that Weddle looked good up the ground, and with another pre-season or two will run the pants of all the other wingers.

You can see the Hunger in him when is in a contest. Seems to be playing like it is his last game and last ruck contest. Very committed, just needs to polish up some skills and have players who can understand & work with him.
Meek is 25, so now is the time for him to push the go button. Give him another pre-season with his team mates, and being well settled in, there is no reason why he can't become a force in the competition.

You can add Hardwick to the list of experienced players who are turnover maestros.
Every week he tries ridiculously ambitious 50 meter bullet passes that miss the target or go straight to the opposition.
There were at least two today that resulted in Melbourne goals.
The other maestros have been named several times. Hardwick always seems to get a pass for some reason.
What hurts most is that these are our most experienced players who should be at their peak not making the same old mistakes week in week out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I also think there is a strange lack of plan or lack of spirited opportunity when we kick out, the vision is great from behind the goals but all you see are witches hats. Zero movement!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back