Toast Round 9 = Collingwood 103-37 West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it odd Foxtel don't have use Whateley?

Unless SEN have built some sort of exclusivity into his contract for calling?

To me the ultimate calling team for TV would be Whateley and Howie with Bucks and Daisy doing special comments.

Having said that, on radio, JB and BT are infinitely better than they are on Channel 7 so I blame 7 for most likely curbing their natural calling style.

It has to be contractual or maybe just preference.... His call style is very much a call what you see, play-by-play. That's the beauty of it, you just get the action rather than opinions and theories.

And then a big moment happens and they're already tuned to the action rather than cutting off someone talking about how windy it was when they played in 1985.

TV they sometimes get sidetracked with "special comments" because they know the audience can see what's going on with their own eyes, to a certain extent.

I'd love it if Kayo gave us multiple audio options

I'm obviously not fully aware of the technological limitations but given "red for Ed" was a thing on Foxtel a decade or more ago, I don't see why Kayo can't access the audio from the various radio stations and allow us to select
Remember Footy Active during the Fox Footy Mk 1 days? You could turn off the commentary and just have the crowd noise and the umpire mics, and that was 20 bloody years ago, yet with newer tech and easier ways to do it it’s somehow impossible

If AJ had Reef’s focus and application then he’d be a superstar.
I’m an AJ fan, but I definitely see Reefs predictable effort as a strong point of difference.
I agree. I’m not saying AJ should be there before Reef, I’d rather Reef. His efforts and application are awesome, my point is I, me, personally don’t think Reef has the ‘tools’ to have a long term meaningful impact.
I’m not writing him off, I don’t dislike him, I hope he makes it and I’m wrong but people are getting a bit twisted about someone’s opinion on a player.

I agree. I'm still far from convinced about Finn. He did his job very well but it just had the feel of right place right time and finished well. Joey on the other hand looked like he made things happen at times and created something out of nothing. Finn is not quick and if he is going to find a role as a part time forward that surely is a concern as he needs to be able to apply the run-down pressure our other smalls in the forward line do.
Finn is pretty stiff.
I thought he did everything he could.
He's not Daicos and never will be.
3 goals is a great return, and being at the right place at the right time is pretty well all you can ever ask of a player, no matter how good.

What’s he got that gets you excited. He’s not fast, he’s not tall, he’s not sticky fingered, he has no X factor, like AJ, to speak of. Doesn’t seem to have outstanding footy smarts.
He may turn out to be a good honest footballer but I don’t see anything to get excited about myself.

He's 194cm so he's not exactly small. Cripps is 195cm. Kreuger is 196cm.

Mihocek who is considered an "undersized key forward" is 192cm.

So I would argue Reef is tall enough to play key forward. Having said that, I think the issue would be that Reef isn't a natural forward as he's a midfielder being "forced" to play forward. Which might explain why you don't see what others do.

Because you're technically correct. He's not overly quick by modern standards, he doesn't have great marking hands and isn't strong enough to wrestle one on one. At least not at the moment.

I think right now, when you take all the information in and apply it to how you view Reef, I think he's doing ok and his biggest strength right now comes from being a midfielder first, which is his work when the ball (almost inevitably) hits the ground. So maybe it's possible that the club are doing something a little different by creating a tall forward/mid hybrid player to really make the forward line more dynamic long term?

If you look at Cripps when he goes forward, he's legitimately capable as a forward and I could easily see Cripps being a 40-50 goal plus forward if he was there full time. Petracca the same.

So I do wonder if the Club is simply forgoing all the midfield battering Reef's body would take in the middle and simply going straight to the forward line move that would normally be reserved for his twilight years.

Last edited:

So I would argue Reef is tall enough to play key forward. Having said that, I think the issue would be that Reef isn't a natural forward as he's a midfielder being "forced" to play forward. Which might explain why you don't see what others do.

Because you're technically correct. He's not overly quick by modern standards, he doesn't have great marking hands and isn't strong enough to wrestle one on one. At least not at the moment.

I think right now, when you take all the information in and apply it to how you view Reef, I think he's doing ok and his biggest strength right now comes from being a midfielder first, which is his work when the ball (almost inevitably) hits the ground. So maybe it's possible that the club are doing something a little different by creating a tall forward/mid hybrid player to really make the forward line more dynamic long term?

IF you look at Cripps when he goes forward, he's legitimately capable as a forward and I could easily see Cripps being a 40-50 goal plus forward if he was there full time. Petracca the same.

So I do wonder if the Club is simply forgoing all the midfield battering Reef's body would take in the middle and simply going straight to the forward line move that would normally be reserved for his twilight years.
👍

Nice summation.

Finn is pretty stiff.
I thought he did everything he could.
He's not Daicos and never will be.
3 goals is a great return, and being at the right place at the right time is pretty well all you can ever ask of a player, no matter how good.
People wanted a good performance from Fin and for him to take his chance, and when he does, there is still complaints lol Can't please everyone haha.

I'd love it if Kayo gave us multiple audio options

I'm obviously not fully aware of the technological limitations but given "red for Ed" was a thing on Foxtel a decade or more ago, I don't see why Kayo can't access the audio from the various radio stations and allow us to select
I'd love it if Kayo was not buffering continually.

It is a joke.

I watch with friends and they always have the audio on but somehow I have manage to tune out the audio.

Not sure I prefer any commentator.

IF you look at Cripps when he goes forward, he's legitimately capable as a forward and I could easily see Cripps being a 40-50 goal plus forward if he was there full time. Petracca the same.

I agree with this - the club may see him as becoming a different kind of forward. I think he has the potential POD that he could contest the ball in the air and on the ground in one play. That is, bring the ball to ground through his height and then recover quickly to crumb his own ball for a quick dish off. Not many players can do this, Jamie Elliott being one of the few that does it regularly.

Nevertheless, Id also love to see what Reef can become as a midfielder.

I'd love it if Kayo was not buffering continually.

It is a joke.

I watch with friends and they always have the audio on but somehow I have manage to tune out the audio.

Not sure I prefer any commentator.

What type of nbn/internet have you got?

The constant buffering thing stopped for me over summer. So I assumed they changed something on the backend as I've had 1000/50 Fibre since the middle of last year and was still experiencing buffering despite that. So I assumed it was on Kayo's end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What type of nbn/internet have you got?

The constant buffering thing stopped for me over summer. So I assumed they changed something on the backend as I've had 1000/50 Fibre since the middle of last year and was still experiencing buffering despite that. So I assumed it was on Kayo's end.
Fibre to the premise. Download speed 108mb so not the internet.

TV? Ultra HD and have no problem with streaming otherwise, just Kayo.

The last quarter was annoying. I kept going out and trying again.

I agree. I’m not saying AJ should be there before Reef, I’d rather Reef. His efforts and application are awesome, my point is I, me, personally don’t think Reef has the ‘tools’ to have a long term meaningful impact.
I’m not writing him off, I don’t dislike him, I hope he makes it and I’m wrong but people are getting a bit twisted about someone’s opinion on a player.
Haven’t the swoops, gathers and snap goals in earlier games impressed you? At 194cm I think that’s a huge asset.

Fibre to the premise. Download speed 108mb so not the internet.

TV? Ultra HD and have no problem with streaming otherwise, just Kayo.

The last quarter was annoying. I kept going out and trying again.

That's bizarre then

100 down should be enough even for 4K.

The only other possibility I can think of is:

• The App itself depending on your TV. I know when it comes to Plex, Samsung TVs suck for example
  • While 100 down is good, if others in the house are also streaming and doing stuff, when combined with a sucky app, it could be an issue

Just things to think about.

Reef has a couple advantages over Henry: pace and height. Definitely quicker and 194cm to Ollie's 189cm. Not to say that Henry's no good or that Reef will clearly be better, but Henry has limits on his ceiling.
Just be thankful he doesn’t have a ceiling on his limits!

It's fascinating watching us fly under the radar:

• Reigning Premier
  • Reigning Premier as the biggest Club in the AFL
  • Currently the only team in the comp undefeated since Round 2 (Essendon lost in Round 4, Sydney in Round 3)

The oddity of the closeness of the ladder seems to be allowing us to work under the cover of darkness. We've only lost one more game than Geelong and Essendon yet sit technically "clinging" to 8th.

I'm ok with this. But doing a ladder predictor about a month or so ahead and working under the assumption (which could obviously be misguided) that we continue our winning form, we'll be almost top of the ladder and obviously won't be able to hide any longer.

In the Triple M post-mortem yesterday they were discussing whether we’re a threat for finals. It’s like, guys, we’re half a game out of top 4, as the reigning premier, and haven’t lost in our last 6 matches. Wake the **** up.

Me either. I personally don’t see what others obviously do though. More than happy to be wrong and time will tell. Just doesn’t ’grab me’ as a player.

A similar type of player for comparison would be Kyle Langford. He's only really nailed down his forward role and he's 27/28 years old. Reef still has time.

Apart from winning yesterday, I did enjoy watching our newbies.

How they performed under AFL pressure, how they fitted into an experienced team that had played together for sometime.

Think that all showed something at different times and maybe the cupboard isn't so bare.

In the Triple M post-mortem yesterday they were discussing whether we’re a threat for finals. It’s like, guys, we’re half a game out of top 4, as the reigning premier, and haven’t lost in our last 6 matches. Wake the heck up.
I don't mind us going under the radar.

It's clear we fell out of favour with the media after our slow start, but we're been gradually regaining ground that it will be hard to ignore eventually.

Jack Crisp really does love a challenge. He got the hint after being made sub in the Lions game & was the difference in that match.

You could see him lift again last week with more mid responsibility.

I thought he was fantastic today, involved in absolutely everything.
Absolutely, being sub was just the scare he needed I reckon. Feel he was maybe a bit complacent after winning a flag and just seemingly a shoo-in for selection (given he's only ever been selected since coming to the pies!!)

He's so quick when he takes off. I much prefer when he's right in the midfield. Better use of his talents and athleticism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back