Opinion Ryan Gardner and Timm House

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd hang onto at least one of them given Taylor's age and the fact that Esava is injured etc and Black is probably gone. Id keep House but i wouldn't be against moving on someone like Murdoch and keeping both.

27 fringe player ACL and squeeze for list spots.
agreed - House and Gardner - not sold on them but also not ready to cut them loose.

Black - footy can be a s**t business and Henry has him covered. At best a rookie spot while the ACL recoups - but thats even questionable at 27.

GO Catters

they are list cloggers but should have been at least given a run

personally I'd keep them for a year since we have plenty of guys to move on already (Menzel, GHS, Thurlow, Gregson, McCarthy, Hayball, Taylor, Black, Scooter)

I'd hang onto at least one of them given Taylor's age and the fact that Esava is injured etc and Black is probably gone. Id keep House but i wouldn't be against moving on someone like Murdoch and keeping both.

Would have been handy in a year when nearly every man and his dog got a game.. to have seen one of them debut. House has shown VFL form back and forward... he is good mark , is sort of Pods size... Id not even be against giving him a go this week... but really we have put both on the list as late picks.. to some degree its to be expected that they will not always succeed.. If they really don't think they will make it then OK move them on ... ..although Id want to be sure we can replace them with players with a better chance for success. Blitz's form at FB has probably lowered the boom on Gardner... has his form forward been anything more than an obscure VFL oddity... otherwize why not give him a run.

Plays 3rd tall defence with aplomb was a lock before the injury.
Can also swing forward but defensively he was a revelation.

He's not going to play for half of next year and he'll be 28 and he's unproven in that role he had 3 good games. I feel sorry for him but House and Gardner etc are younger and a better succession plan for Taylor and Hendo. I would say delist and re-rookie is Black's best case scenario and even that's not certain.

they are list cloggers but should have been at least given a run

personally I'd keep them for a year since we have plenty of guys to move on already (Menzel, GHS, Thurlow, Gregson, McCarthy, Hayball, Taylor, Black, Scooter)

Scooter and Taylor are both contracted for 2019.

I pretty much agree on the rest.

He's not going to play for half of next year and he'll be 28 and he's unproven in that role he had 3 good games. I feel sorry for him but House and Gardner etc are younger and a better succession plan for Taylor and Hendo. I would say delist and re-rookie is Black's best case scenario and even that's not certain.

No one said its fair .. ask the poor bugger in Sydney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scooter and Taylor are both contracted for 2019.

I pretty much agree on the rest.

I thought Scooter was contracted until the end of 2018?

Taylor I think should get the tap on the shoulder unless he is prepared to play mostly VFL next year.

Taylor I think should get the tap on the shoulder unless he is prepared to play mostly VFL next year.
Makes zero sense. His money would be in the cap still so might as well keep him around then.

No Scooter came on a 4 year deal at end 2015 so has a year to run and Taylor was given 2019 at the start of this year. I doubt we are going to delist and payout either as both would be on good wages and are respected leaders. Whether they play 2's is a different issue but i expect them to be on the list next year.

House and Gardner ..you're kidding right?

I think delisting Gardiner would be a huge mistake. This kid is a lock down defender replacement in the Loneghan model with a far better kick. These type of players never get listed in the best players but are vital for the team. Should have been given a game before Blitz was made a defender when we where bereft of a tall down back.
Still only 21. How long did it take Loneghan to become the player he became after being a failed forward?
He's obviously not rated as a defensive prospect when we play him as a forward all year, especially when we were playing a tall forward line in the reserves already.

There are players more chronically injured than Black on the list. There are also players who can't play as well as Black.

Its age. Black is unproven in the role and 28 next year. A younger player is a better succession plan for HT at 33 and Hendo at 29 than a 28yo will be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back