Opinion Sack Hinkley 10 - UnTENable

Remove this Banner Ad

Never heard a club talked about as much with reference to the coach

-Great test for Kenny
-Great win for Kenny
-Kenny's boys
-Kenny wins in Geelong
-Important for Kenny

At some point something will be important for Port Adelaide I guess.. not holding my breath

Yeah I would have added something really subtle to the end like...

"One win doesn't "put to rest" Hinkleys poor record against the top 4. It is just 22% over his career. One great win (following losses to Collingwood and Melbourne) doesn't prove anything. Make a Grand Final and I'll be convinced. Oh and you're a ******* campaigner Whately"
Subtle but effective

We were so close. The cats and that no advantage umpire ruined everything.

It's actually almost worked out better than losing, which sounds weird.

We were expected to lose, so going there and having an "honourable" loss, even with the massive comeback, would see it spun that Ol' Kenny can still get the boys up for big games and how positive a sign it is that we shared a field with a giant of the league without full-blown shitting our pants. The fact that supporters are ropeable could have been spun as us being unreasonable for expecting to beat Geelong in Geelong. We get called unreasonable for expecting wins all the time.

Instead, we've won and the fans are still giving him absolutely nothing. Nobody rates the win as being a sign of anything moving forward. Everyone still wants to sack him. Any question about supporters being overly emotional after wins and losses is moot. We just had what should be a stirring win and it hasn't moved the needle at all in terms of supporter discontent.

There's no "You thought he was a superhero when you beat Geelong in Geelong". No we don't. Nobody does.

That might be his premiership. a win at the cattery 12 years deep.

He can lounge back on the bench now with his hands in his pockets again & relax.

As common plebes we’re routinely dismissed for criticisms of certain intricacies of coaching that we haven’t the remotest experience or qualifications in/for.

But how on earth does Hinkley even begin to criticise and cook players for some of the all-too-familiar garbage served up in the second half, when he carried on like an absolute d¡ckhead purely on raw outcome, for as long as he did.

Is it any wonder there’s never any serious progress made under this guy, or the “learning” he drones on about from week to week and year to year.

Victories like this one (or West Coast in 2019, or Brisbane in 2023) are basically wins on the scratchies.

Nobody expected it. It’s a pleasant surprise. But it was completely random. And the statistical probability of it happening again, let alone again and again, is minuscule.

Nobody expected it. It’s a pleasant surprise. But it was completely random. And the statistical probability of it happening again, let alone again and again, is minuscule.

Not to mention the 3 times in a row you need to be able to do it in the cauldron of September to win a flag.

It's actually almost worked out better than losing, which sounds weird.

We were expected to lose, so going there and having an "honourable" loss, even with the massive comeback, would see it spun that Ol' Kenny can still get the boys up for big games and how positive a sign it is that we shared a field with a giant of the league without full-blown shitting our pants. The fact that supporters are ropeable could have been spun as us being unreasonable for expecting to beat Geelong in Geelong. We get called unreasonable for expecting wins all the time.

Instead, we've won and the fans are still giving him absolutely nothing. Nobody rates the win as being a sign of anything moving forward. Everyone still wants to sack him. Any question about supporters being overly emotional after wins and losses is moot. We just had what should be a stirring win and it hasn't moved the needle at all in terms of supporter discontent.

There's no "You thought he was a superhero when you beat Geelong in Geelong". No we don't. Nobody does.
It's still grand final or bust for me. After 16 straight years of watching other teams running around the MCG on grand final day, I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

Yeah I would have added something really subtle to the end like...

"One win doesn't "put to rest" Hinkleys poor record against the top 4. It is just 22% over his career. One great win (following losses to Collingwood and Melbourne) doesn't prove anything. Make a Grand Final and I'll be convinced. Oh and you're a ******* campaigner Whately"
I bet this one wouldn't get read out, "Mr. Whately - are you aware that it's now just 12 days until Ken Hinkley officially becomes the least successful coach in the history of the game, in terms of games coached without a grand final?"

It's still grand final or bust for me. After 16 straight years of watching other teams running around the MCG on grand final day, I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

I'll give Hinkley a very small amount of slack when he wins a prelim, but it's purely hypothetical. He's not going to win one.

-Great test for Kenny
-Great win for Kenny
-Kenny's boys
-Kenny wins in Geelong
-Important for Kenny

At some point something will be important for Port Adelaide I guess.. not holding my breath
My family were kind of confused why I have an irrational hatred of Ken Hinkley and why I’m always angry or unhappy while watching Port play. Obviously one of those things answers the other, but why do I have that hatred for the bald campaigner? It’s precisely s**t like this. When does it get to the point where the players are doing it for the club? When is a win going to be a win for the club? When will I see a match preview where they talk about why Port need the win rather than Ken Hinkley? It genuinely boggles the mind…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll give Hinkley a very small amount of slack when he wins a prelim, but it's purely hypothetical. He's not going to win one.
We’re obviously very much in agreement on this topic and it’s funny because I often say there’s no way he’s going to win a flag because he hasn’t proven he can lead the team past a prelim. These are actual comments I’ve received on TikTok in reference to me saying that, and they’ve all got dates on them so this was prior to finals last year. These poor souls who didn’t know what was still to come…
IMG_4006.jpeg
IMG_4008.jpeg
IMG_4009.jpeg
IMG_4010.jpeg
IMG_4011.jpeg
IMG_4012.jpeg
Also this one’s not relevant to this topic but while searching for those comments I found a banger where someone absolutely owned themselves.
IMG_4007.jpeg

-Great test for Kenny
-Great win for Kenny
-Kenny's boys
-Kenny wins in Geelong
-Important for Kenny

And when we get knocked out, it'll be, "The players have let Kenny down again."

-Great test for Kenny
-Great win for Kenny
-Kenny's boys
-Kenny wins in Geelong
-Important for Kenny

How refreshing was it to hear Brad Scott talk about Essendon's supporters and what they did for the team and win over GWS. Hinkley NEVER mentions supporters nor the club. It's all about him. Always has been. Always will be.

Yep. There is next to zero connection with the fans. Even early days I don’t recall he would mention the supporters much. Compare to someone like Ancelotti and his engagement with Real Madrid fans

How refreshing was it to hear Brad Scott talk about Essendon's supporters and what they did for the team and win over GWS. Hinkley NEVER mentions supporters nor the club. It's all about him. Always has been. Always will be.
We’re an inconvenience to him. He looks at us like someone looks at something stuck to the bottom of their shoe.

We’re an inconvenience to him. He looks at us like someone looks at something stuck to the bottom of their shoe.
Which only strengthens my resolve to ignore the club's attempts to get me back as a member.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back