Opinion Sack Hinkley 10 - UnTENable

Remove this Banner Ad

We're not going to miss the 8, the bar as usual is far too low.

We'll go out with a whimper in another finals series and they'll give him the final year of his contract where all of a sudden Ken will flatly deny a succession plan existing and claim he wants to coach on, which will lead to Koch extending his contract the second we're 2 wins above 0.500.

Until this campaigner is gone, I don't believe a word of any succession plan talk. It's bullshit used to placate disenfranchised supporters without having to actually address that Ken Hinkley is the most mediocre football coach of all time. They repeatedly kick the can down the road, this is just more of it.
I don't believe a word of any succession plan because I refuse to accept our next coach can be someone that accepted Hinkley's extension over their promotion.

Heard that interview with Caro last night, we're not missing the eight, but say we meekly go out in straight sets again, or lose a cut throat final by a huge margin a la 21........I wouldn't be bowled over if that was curtains for him.

The tide has seemingly turned this year, a few things Ken's mentioned & the pressure he's under every game, as well as the common narrative in the media that the vast majority of supporters now want change suggests that the bar could be higher than just making the eight.

Add in Tredders to all this, who knows.

Of coarse, he's survived every other disaster and failure before so there's that.

This succession plan though, honestly I don't dislike Carr and he may be a great coach, but what about this program has brought about the need to simply promote from within?

It's just Kochs way of making change without really making any change. The boys club sticks together, and we continue as is, as though membership is sitting at 95k and we've added 3 flags to our tally.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawthorn and Geelong just ensured this goose will coach until at least the end of this year at minimum.

Another 13-15 win season without success, meaning more Ken and another mediocre draft hand we’ll p¡ss away on magic beans or topping up.

Lol a succession plan.
What part of working under Hinkley screams succession plan?
Clean out the lot of them, they're all culpable for the rot.
But I just can't understand why or how Ken is worthy of a succession plan, as if he's the Don Bradman of football coaches. What could Josh Carr possibly learn from Ken Hinkley, apart from the ability to win nothing?

Last edited:
just think of it as a transition plan rather than a succession plan because really that is what it is, and hopefully an accelerated transition at that. losing a final and finally having carr able to have total control sounds good to me. he'll be able to directly address and have total control over our tactical ineptitude/stubbornness, meek mentality and soft edge. hopefully he can get to work literally late september/october onwards and have six months to recondition them, which actually won't take long once hinkley is gone i think.

IF ...​

I was running Port Adelaide ...

THEN ...​

there would be no way I would be playing Connor Rozee and his suspect hamstring against North Melbourne on Saturday. Sure, I've heard the Power say he's good to go. Heard them say the same thing before the Showdown in round eight, and didn't that work out well.

IF ...​

THEN ...​

there would be no way I would be playing Connor Rozee and his suspect hamstring against North Melbourne on Saturday. Sure, I've heard the Power say he's good to go. Heard them say the same thing before the Showdown in round eight, and didn't that work out well.
If Connor breaks down again tomorrow, then Ken should be sacked on the spot. If Connor DOESN'T break down tomorrow, then Ken should still be sacked on the spot.

If we miss the eight this year, we're not sacking him. Koch will say Ken deserves a final season to go out on his own terms while providing much needed and valuable mentoring to Carr in order to give him the best chance of being head coach in 2026. We will then scrape into the eight and Koch won't be able to help himself and will give Hinkley another 2 years.

But I just can't why or how Ken is worthy of a succession plan, as if he's the Don Bradman of football coaches. What could Josh Carr possibly learn from Ken Hinkley, apart from the ability to win nothing?

Every single succession plan in history, ultimately successful or otherwise, has seen a premiership-winning doyen with proof-of-concept handing on to an apprentice usually on the cusp or just into their forties.

• John Cahill to Chocolate Williams (41yo)
• David Parkin to Wayne Brittain (41yo)
• Paul Roos to John Longmire (40yo)
• Mick Malthouse to Nathan Buckley (39yo)
• Paul Roos to Simon Goodwin (39yo)
• John Worsfold to Ben Rutten (38yo)
• Alastair Clarkson to Sam Mitchell (39yo)

Ken Hinkley is yet to lead Port to a Grand Final, and Josh Carr will be 45 at the end of Ken’s current contract, having coached in myriad capacities and locales since retiring as a footballer way back in 2010.

What on earth are we doing?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard that interview with Caro last night, we're not missing the eight, but say we meekly go out in straight sets again, or lose a cut throat final by a huge margin a la 21........I wouldn't be bowled over if that was curtains for him.

The tide has seemingly turned this year, a few things Ken's mentioned & the pressure he's under every game, as well as the common narrative in the media that the vast majority of supporters now want change suggests that the bar could be higher than just making the eight.

Add in Tredders to all this, who knows.

Of coarse, he's survived every other disaster and failure before so there's that.

This succession plan though, honestly I don't dislike Carr and he may be a great coach, but what about this program has brought about the need to simply promote from within?

It's just Kochs way of making change without really making any change. The boys club sticks together, and we continue as is, as though membership is sitting at 95k and we've added 3 flags to our tally.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wow. A guy who's in his 12th year and achieved 4/5 of * all feels pressure. Should have been fired into the sun 2017.

it would have to take a near 2018 style collapse for us to miss the 8

we're 7-3 heading to round 11

to miss the 8 you need to be 11-12 maybe 12-11 if your % is dog shit.

by this time of the year its easier to stay in the 8 then make the 8.

its the hope that kills you

it would have to take a near 2018 style collapse for us to miss the 8

we're 7-3 heading to round 11

to miss the 8 you need to be 11-12 maybe 12-11 if your % is dog s**t.

by this time of the year its easier to stay in the 8 then make the 8.

its the hope that kills you
We'll see - after tomorrow, the only one I'm confident about is the game against Richmond.....and perhaps the return bout with St. Kilda. Given our record for dropping games we should win, I wouldn't say finals are a certainty just yet.

IF ...​

THEN ...​

Isn't Damian Barrett a North fan?

On the PAFC X account there are 20 social media posts about the DBJ goal and win over 15th place Hawthorn. 20 farken posts.

We exist to fill up on bottom 10 wins. Genuinely embarrassing.

(I would've hooked that win into my veins 10 years ago but it just makes me feel numb these days)

IF ...​

THEN ...​

Well its official.

Add Barrett to the list of better coaches we could get.

On the PAFC X account there are 20 social media posts about the DBJ goal and win over 15th place Hawthorn. 20 farken posts.

(I would've hooked that win into my veins 10 years ago but it just makes me feel numb these days)

They did similar with the Houston after-siren winner last year.

I get the need for engagement. I get the need to keep catching in the algorithm. I get the revenue opportunities from maximum engagement.

But you know what would be worthy of a real clicks-goldmine?

Assorted highlights from a successful September campaign and winning a freaking premiership.

It was still being talked about publicly by coaches and players on Thursday. It’s should have been dead and buried on Tuesday morning at the latest and move on to the next one. We love drinking the bathwater after a big win, which is why we’re mentally fragile and unreliable from week-to-week.

It was still being talked about publicly by coaches and players on Thursday. It’s should have been dead and buried on Tuesday morning at the latest and move on to the next one. We love drinking the bathwater after a big win, which is why we’re mentally fragile and unreliable from week-to-week.
We're mentally fragile because we're like our coach and are poorly coached. Sook at the slightest bit of criticism like our coach. Are soft front runners just like our coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back