Saints and Swans to play in NZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Meanwhile, Hawthorn do the hard yards with grass roots development of the game in New Zealand.

Lets not forget St Kilda dumped Tasmania when it didn't suit them anymore; lets see how long they can stick with this.

Meanwhile, Hawthorn do the hard yards with grass roots development of the game in New Zealand.

Lets not forget St Kilda dumped Tasmania when it didn't suit them anymore; lets see how long they can stick with this.

And i know a lot of people down here that were really annoyed with the way that occurred too. Hey, we're successful now, so long Tassie, thanks for the money. I think that's another reason why Hawthorn have such good support here, they've stayed!

I would have liked the Hawks to be the away team. I think it would have been a nice opportunity to build on all the ground work we have put in.

In terms of travel, not that different to playing in WA.

I know the Hawks were not keen on being the home team, but I wonder if the Hawks pushed strongly to be the away team?

I would have liked the Hawks to be the away team. I think it would have been a nice opportunity to build on all the ground work we have put in.

In terms of travel, not that different to playing in WA.

I know the Hawks were not keen on being the home team, but I wonder if the Hawks pushed strongly to be the away team?
So if the Hawks weren't keen on being the home team, why would they be keen on being the away team?

So if the Hawks weren't keen on being the home team, why would they be keen on being the away team?
Well it would count as being one of our 'interstate' games. Possibly, we would have one less game at Subi or AAMI. And Saints would have no home ground advantage over there. Easy win that would count as a Non-Melbourne away game.

Well it would count as being one of our 'interstate' games. Possibly, we would have one less game at Subi or AAMI. And Saints would have no home ground advantage over there. Easy win that would count as a Non-Melbourne away game.
So we would have to go to NZ to play a team based in our own state and deal with customs, etc? I'd rather go play in Adelaide than in NZ too.

I think that if the Hawks are the away team, its a great opportunity to build on the work we have already put in, without losing another home game in Melbourne (assuming it would be on top of Tassie home games).

I just think that the Hawks could have gained a lot of milage in terms of branding and profiling even as the away team.

I think that if the Hawks are the away team, its a great opportunity to build on the work we have already put in, without losing another home game in Melbourne (assuming it would be on top of Tassie home games).

I just think that the Hawks could have gained a lot of milage in terms of branding and profiling even as the away team.

Given we already get an away fixturing concession for playing in Tasmania, I doubt the league would remove yet another trip. It would have come at the expense of a Victorian away game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we would have to go to NZ to play a team based in our own state and deal with customs, etc? I'd rather go play in Adelaide than in NZ too.

You're quite right that it would mean one less game 'in Melbourne', but if the game counted as one of our 'interstate games', I would think its a good outcome.

A game against the Saints in NZ would be, on the surface, much less daunting than an away game against the Eagles or the Crows.

Given we already get an away fixturing concession for playing in Tasmania, I doubt the league would remove yet another trip. It would have come at the expense of a Victorian away game.

I see the Saints have signed on for three years (one game in 2013, two games each in 2014-2015).

Perhaps the Hawks have decided to wait-and-see how it unfolds next year, and if its a big success, push for an away game in 2014.

Don't care, so long as Hawthorn gets Good Friday football (which is another thing Hawthorn has strongly lobbied the AFL for in the past).

No chance of us playing on Good Friday if we are playing Geelong on Easter Monday...

So the saints and swans could get 35,000 to 40,000 at edihad but instead they will hold it in a country who has no interest in AFL and deny both saints and swans fans of yet another game in Melbourne. How about Kangaroos vs Footscray? They are only going to get 20 to 30 people to a game anyway. 1,000 fans in NZ would be considered a success.

No chance of us playing on Good Friday if we are playing Geelong on Easter Monday...

Yeah agreed, cant see that one changing in a hurry, given also that C7 have the rights they wont be sacrificing the good friday appeal in a hurry, as long as C7 are broadcasting football there will never be any footy on good friday

If the cash was similar (it sounds like it is), I would rather play two games in NZ than 4 in Tas.
They will get more to that game that we get in Tassie for a game.
Being the away team is stupid - no financial gain, but more travel and less Melbourne games.
Saints will do well out of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back