Prediction Shannon Hurn - Our All Australian Premiership Captain (and 300 Gamer)

Will Hurn become our first 300 game player?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s pretty crazy to think we’ll finally get a 300 gamer. Feels like it’s always been a bit of an impossible achievement at WC
Cousins would have got there if he didn't blow up with drugs.

That mid 2000s group were also pretty slow to the party when it came to advances in rehab. I remember guys like Judd saying that they would get their fitness program and then go and do a stack of extra running sessions. They became really fit but were overtraining big time. Heaps of them had soft tissue problems at a relatively young age (Judd, Kerr, Hunter, Butler, Waters). We had a very talented young core, but many of them retired young or missed prime years with injury.

I contrast it with the same group from Sydney who used to talk about doing Yoga etc. Much longer careers for guys like Goodes, McVeigh, Bolton etc.

We’ve got 2 week-off-29 year olds Gaff & Darling running around on 227/226 games respectively. It’s not inconceivable they hit 300. Which would mean in the space of 3-4 years we could go from having none in 30 years to having 3. And then probably not again for a long time given our propensity to ease our draftees into games. (For a number of reasons, hard squad to get into, we haven’t been rebuilding so no rush to play the kids etc) Allen is just hitting 50 now, and he was a 2017 draftee.

Any player that reaches 300 games is exceptional. But the WA players in particular that have to travel so excessively.. it’s an unbelievable achievement. Probably the best thing is about Hurn, he is still performing at a high level. None of this carrying him to 300 like Carlton have been doing with Murphy.

We’ve got 2 week-off-29 year olds Gaff & Darling running around on 227/226 games respectively. It’s not inconceivable they hit 300. Which would mean in the space of 3-4 years we could go from having none in 30 years to having 3. And then probably not again for a long time given our propensity to ease our draftees into games. (For a number of reasons, hard squad to get into, we haven’t been rebuilding so no rush to play the kids etc) Allen is just hitting 50 now, and he was a 2017 draftee.

Any player that reaches 300 games is exceptional. But the WA players in particular that have to travel so excessively.. it’s an unbelievable achievement. Probably the best thing is about Hurn, he is still performing at a high level. None of this carrying him to 300 like Carlton have been doing with Murphy.

Very strange to think of Gaff and JD having longer careers than nearly all our 2006 team already.

Very strange to think of Gaff and JD having longer careers than nearly all our 2006 team already.
I commented before Gaff goes to equal 14th in the list for total games for WC. Equals Michael Braun this week. Darling will follow the week later. They’ve both had longer careers than most. But for them they were drafted the year we won the wooden spoon. They got their chances early as you would expect and have just been locks in the side from that moment forward.

Of course, since then, we’ve only missed the finals twice. So the team becomes much harder to get into and as a result we have guys drafted 4 years ago on 20-39 games because the expectations are that they develop at WAFL and force their way in.

I commented before Gaff goes to equal 14th in the list for total games for WC. Equals Michael Braun this week. Darling will follow the week later. They’ve both had longer careers than most. But for them they were drafted the year we won the wooden spoon. They got their chances early as you would expect and have just been locks in the side from that moment forward.

Of course, since then, we’ve only missed the finals twice. So the team becomes much harder to get into and as a result we have guys drafted 4 years ago on 20-39 games because the expectations are that they develop at WAFL and force their way in.
It would be good if the AFL was more like cricket and counted the top state league as well. I know the WAFC has an award for 300 AFL/WAFL games but it doesn't get much recognition. Come to think of it, the AFL also has the AFL life membership which I think is for the same thing. Maybe it's the clubs that should get onboard

Gaff's only missed games because of his brain fart in 2018 and because of Tom Jonas brain fart in 2016. He could have easily had the leagues longest game streak.

Like he would have been a fair chance of playing 250 this year if it weren't for those and 2020 was a normal season. That insane since he is yet to reach 30

Cousins would have got there if he didn't blow up with drugs.

That mid 2000s group were also pretty slow to the party when it came to advances in rehab. I remember guys like Judd saying that they would get their fitness program and then go and do a stack of extra running sessions. They became really fit but were overtraining big time. Heaps of them had soft tissue problems at a relatively young age (Judd, Kerr, Hunter, Butler, Waters). We had a very talented young core, but many of them retired young or missed prime years with injury.

I contrast it with the same group from Sydney who used to talk about doing Yoga etc. Much longer careers for guys like Goodes, McVeigh, Bolton etc.
And lets be honest, there was a level of partying going on with that group (and this would not have been uncommon across most teams), that didn't lead to optimal recovery times.

I'd be surprised if the boys these days are even drinking much if at all during large parts of the season. The expectations have changed.

And lets be honest, there was a level of partying going on with that group (and this would not have been uncommon across most teams), that didn't lead to optimal recovery times.

I'd be surprised if the boys these days are even drinking much if at all during large parts of the season. The expectations have changed.
Tbf don’t think the mid 2000’s boy were drinking much either 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was always a solid player but has amazed me how he lifted to become elite late in his career. In a team like Freo, he could probably play another 5 years and hit 350. For us, it is a legimate question as to whether he plays on next year, when most assumed (before the season) that this would be his last.

I watched the 2011 semi final against Carlton in the off season and marvelled at how much he has improved since then.

Champion, insanely consistent and with understated flair.

Has just got better with age and while slightly diminished from his peak, on current form, he's probably still our best backman.

For mine, he's a walk up starter for our B22 of all time when he retires.

If we do get a pretty much full squad back, then they should manage him and give him a week off against either Crows away or Saints at home.

Bye week just gone, play 3-4 games, week off, finish season, bye week before finals. I would like them to do the same with Kennedy.

Added bonus - Just so happens if he does take a week off (and no injuries) then he plays his 300th at home!

Back