List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could?
I have very high intuition :p

Also if you noticed their interactions in 2018 on hawkstv ect I believe Worpel said something rude about T.Mitchel and he held it against him, also he seemed to refuse to pass it to Worpel in 2018 as well, if you have a keen eye you can pick up on these things, but maybe I'm wrong and all these things are coincidences?

But this years awkward working relationship just adds to my suspicion.

Also if you noticed their interactions in 2018 on hawkstv ect I believe Worpel said something rude about T.Mitchel and he held it against him, also he seemed to refuse to pass it to Worpel in 2018 as well, if you have a keen eye you can pick up on these things, but maybe I'm wrong and all these things are coincidences?

This would be pretty interesting if true and makes perfect sense why they aren't working together, but i'd be interested to see if there was any vision, proof of the nuanced shunning or if it's more just lack of experience, working relationship playing together.

Now don't want to assume but could the relationship of worpel and sam also be impacting Mitchell and returning and he wants to stamp himself back on the game but all they are doing is detrimentally harming the midfield gelling.

In any case, any potential issue here is rectified with strong leadership, something we are severely lacking in.

Mitchell and Worpel hate each other now? Lmfao i have seen it all
Matthews and Scott didn't talk to each other off field and still won flags together.

Like who gives a s**t, not all team mates get along at any club, I mean who gets along with everyone they work with?

Our midfield has been disappointing since 2017, i think that there's a few things we can do to strengthen our midfield

1. Play O'Meara on the outside, on a wing kicking goals like he was for Gold Coast back in the day, he can play inside and win clearances, but I think he would be of more value on the outside

2. Retire or Trade Liam Shiels, he was carried during the great times and when we have needed him since Sam Mitchell and Lewis left he has not stepped up to take any responsibility

3. A couple of years ago when Worpel first came to the club you could see T.Mitchell hated him, they have a strained working relationship, how to fix this?, either trade one or play one in another position or fix the hatred ruining their working relationship.

4. Draft a quality midfielder who makes good decisions and uses the ball well, who also has some pace and takes on the game

5. Give Finn Maginness a shot, don't use dumb excuses as none of our midfielders run defensively, then try out Harry Jones or Daniel Howe, Howe is out of favour and is slow, but he has good de% and is aggressive, something we lack, we could do worse than give him a second chance.

6. Play Wingard in the midfield every game, playing him exclusively forward is really really dumb.
2. That has got to be one of the dumbest things I have heard. Shiels was the one who did the grunt work & defensive stuff that none of our other mids were doing back then, he was crucial to our success.

3. That is such a strange thing to say with no reason behind it. Why do you think they hate eachother?

Our midfield has been disappointing since 2017, i think that there's a few things we can do to strengthen our midfield

1. Play O'Meara on the outside, on a wing kicking goals like he was for Gold Coast back in the day, he can play inside and win clearances, but I think he would be of more value on the outside

2. Retire or Trade Liam Shiels, he was carried during the great times and when we have needed him since Sam Mitchell and Lewis left he has not stepped up to take any responsibility

3. A couple of years ago when Worpel first came to the club you could see T.Mitchell hated him, they have a strained working relationship, how to fix this?, either trade one or play one in another position or fix the hatred ruining their working relationship.

4. Draft a quality midfielder who makes good decisions and uses the ball well, who also has some pace and takes on the game

5. Give Finn Maginness a shot, don't use dumb excuses as none of our midfielders run defensively, then try out Harry Jones or Daniel Howe, Howe is out of favour and is slow, but he has good de% and is aggressive, something we lack, we could do worse than give him a second chance.

6. Play Wingard in the midfield every game, playing him exclusively forward is really really dumb.
Don’t mind a few of these Davo but no.3 is getting a bit out there isn’t it mate.
I would have had Mitchell out on a flank til he got his groove back, if it comes. Bucks was right about Mitchell but at the time of the comment I would have argued that half his disposals were damaging/useful.
Worpell is the cornerstone of the midfield for the next decade if we choose to go that way.
Add the pieces around him.
Agree on Jags with inside minutes thrown in.
Wingard... absolutely.
Shiels, I don’t think compliments anything moving forward. Even in the leadership wagon if ppl want to go there. Had a good game against Carlton but yeah... is a Clarko product that will always “play his role” and be the first picked because of it over Howe, Jones ect

Ever heard on confirmation bias?

Some around here would be masters at this game 😂

Oh and for anyone that can guess what movie this is from they have genuine taste.

View attachment 933294
Wingard and Gunston don’t high five after goals.

Sometimes they only give a quick hug.

Illuminati confirmed. They hate each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a popular discussion that infuriates many, but it's now or never on Gunston and Bruest whilst they still have high end value. North were in a position to move Higgins and Goldy, yes older, last year and didn't. They would like a redo here surely.

I stress that I would never advocate pushing either out the door, they would need to be willing to leave. I've also been incredibly impressed with Gunston the past month and without him and Sicily, we would be probably Adelaide right now.

That being said, we are clearly nowhere near a flag in the next three years, best case (cue the most optimistic fans rhetoric). Gunston and Bruest would be 31 and 32 respectively by that stage, clearly outside the general peak expected.

A look at Freo's list shows the value of being aggressive when you need to rebuild. They lost Neale, but turned that into two first round picks. Hill, and they got pick 10 and a second rounder amongst steak knives. Weller, pick two. They have Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong and Young that are all clear hits, and Henry is yet to debut.

Given this year is a raffle with the draft, and providing Gunston and Bruest would be willing to leave, I would love to see us try and get a Hopper out of GWS in a deal with Bruest. And Gunston would have a million suitors, could we do something to get a Stephenson from the pies? Raynar from the lions? Gus Brayshaw from Melbourne?

It's not good looking at this in two years when we will get nothing of value from it.

Just worth pondering ......we are in a similar position this yr that Nth was last yr .
Nth chose NOT to cash in on the likes of Goldie and Higgins .
Now their caps carrying 2 expensive chips whose trade value has lessened..
DECISION HAS NOT WORKED .
Seeing where we sit now I believe it would be a poor decision to not explore offers for guns .
I base this on Nths AND Other clubs who have sat pat .

Oh and while based in Syd Williams WAS spoken to by us .
Think we're in a better position than North (2019) in respect of elite talent meaning our older guns are worth more to us.

That being said, I would suppose you're talking about Gunston and Breust really.

Gunston and Breust the only ones in that older age bracket that have decent trade value.

Could get a first round pick for each from a contender, Deledio-style.

Last edited:
Gunston and Breust the only ones in that older age bracket that have decent trade value.

Could get a first round pick for each from a contender, Deledio/Stevy J style.

yeah but imagine our forward line without them...

O'Brien, Lewis, Hanrahan
Nash, Patton, Impey

that is truly horrific

What a read lol.

Even if Mitchell dislikes Worpel (not true) he would NEVER shun a teammate and not pass to him purely because he dislikes him. Mitchell is the ultimate professional team player and wouldn't actively engage in something to the detriment to the team. His personality on and off the field shows this. How anyone could think he would be that immature truly baffles me.

Another if....even if he did this for a game or 2 the coaches would quickly nip that in the bud and make sure that behaviour changed. They dissect practically every play.

Our current midfield connection issues has got nothing to do with petty issues.

Just worth pondering ......we are in a similar position this yr that Nth was last yr .
Nth chose NOT to cash in on the likes of Goldie and Higgins .
Now their caps carrying 2 expensive chips whose trade value has lessened..
DECISION HAS NOT WORKED .
Seeing where we sit now I believe it would be a poor decision to not explore offers for guns .
I base this on Nths AND Other clubs who have sat pat .

Oh and while based in Syd Williams WAS spoken to by us .
Goldstein was a free agent, at his age North would have got a third round draft pick and in a trade for Higgins it would have been similar so they needed to keep those players rather than give them to Geelong to help them win a flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back