List Mgmt. Should Ryder get a new contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryder should get another deal. He doesn't look fit at present, that doesn't mean he is cooked or can't turn it around though.

Probably a 1+1 deal with activation clause on games/performance next year.

Westy should absolutely get another year or two.

Justin Westhoff will be 33 at the end of this season and is obviously past his best. Westy will be lucky to get a one year deal let alone two years. I think the rest of 2019 may tell us more about Ken's view on Justin. If he plays more SANFL than AFL in these last nine games then I think he is on the way out.

Anyone who isn't absolutely a necessity player, or a young guy we want to keep eg Garner end of first standard contract and coming out of contract, and being chased by clubs back home, we just say we are going to wait until September before any new contract is offered.

We ****ed up - you ****ed up in the last 7 games last year, no deals discussed until you prove you can get us into finals, is the line we should be using with all players who have been at the club at least 3 years.

Last edited:
Westhoff to retire. Ryder it depends if we're stuck with Ken.

Ken is incapable of not playing his favourites if they stay on the list. (E.g. Sam Gray should be a 'break glass in case of emergency player' the last 4 years). If Ken is here then I'd let Ryder go.

If we have a new coach, then I'd give one year, with Ryder as backup, so he knows he's going to be playing lots of SANFL, being behind Hayes and Ladhams. If he arcs up with that, then let him go.

Unpopular opinion probably but I still think Westhoff will find his way back in. I want to see if his form picks up alongside Dixon. If he comes back and he still sucks, then sure, delist, but I feel like delisting him now would be like delisting Boak at the end of 2018 without giving him another crack at the midfield.

Unpopular opinion probably but I still think Westhoff will find his way back in. I want to see if his form picks up alongside Dixon. If he comes back and he still sucks, then sure, delist, but I feel like delisting him now would be like delisting Boak at the end of 2018 without giving him another crack at the midfield.

Well now, thats actually a really good point. Many of us considered Boak to be cooked at the end of last year, myself included.

This week it's hard to see him playing on, but a week's a long time in footy. See how he performs in the SANFL and the health of our list at the end of the year. A fit and firing Lycett and Ladhams means we won't need him as cover next year, but could still use it, so there are options that didn't appear to be there at the start of the season.

Plus I suspect we'll see one of Ryder or Hoff back in the AFL team. Ken won't be able to help himself.

bdd.jpg

Westhoff will get another contract if he doesn’t choose to retire, but I do think its a real possibility that he does.

Ryder will almost certainly be traded if he can find someone that will offer him 2 years. I think he is good enough to come back for another year, but zero chance we give him two years at his age.

Currently I would say no to a 1 year extension.
It’s obvious that his management have gone to the media with tales of “bad” Port Adelaide in not selecting him and relegating him to the reserves - how dare we!
If they have 3 clubs after him so be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely worth a 1 yr extension considering what we would get in return.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back