Sky Bet Championship 16/17

Remove this Banner Ad

And this time the parachute payments gave you no advantage over the rest of the league at all. Just like when you get relegated this time around they won't be of any advantage to you over most of the rest of the Championship.

See clubs are going to get really clever at this and sooner rather than later we'll have the same 4-5 clubs yo-yoing up and down from the PL to the Championship.

What a system that will be to look forward too.

People have said that for years and I don't think the three who got relegated have ever been the three to go back up.

Here’s an even funner fact: This season, Newcastle are 165m Euros. The Leicester Squad is rated at 164m Euros. Do you honestly think that the relegated Newcastle squad is better than the English champions?

Say that to me with a straight face.

I honestly believe that our squad is better....ah you got me. Called my bluff. :D

mjl.gif

On the topic though, I definitely wouldn't deny that the TV money (and in all likelihood parachute payments) will be big factors on why the club can afford to (presumably) have one of the best paid squads, biggest net spends on transfers and probably among the best paid managers in the division. That's just the reality of us being in the top flight for a few seasons (since our last relegation) and having an owner who (until not so long ago) ran the club on a shoestring instead of investing in the squad...

Either way, it's not really here nor there. I would point to the example of someone like Bournemouth who must have gone up with one of the smallest financial backings in the league. And who (I'm guessing here) were the only team that the Foxes could boast to having a more valuable squad than? They showed in the PL that even without the money available to them, they could beat better financed opponents on their day.

In other nations, you can look at Eibar in Spain and Carpi in Italy who both recently made the top flights in those nations despite being 'tiny' clubs.

I think the reality of it is with the increasing financial lure of the premier league, investment in the second division (with new ambitious new owners, ambitious signings, ambitious managerial appointments etc) will continue to increase as well. That being said, money doesn't always guarantee results - especially if the execution is poor. Give me a well run, modestly financed club over a bloated, big spender any day of the week!

Even better would be if a bigger percentage of premier league tv money goes to all lower league clubs so the gap between the leagues isnt as significant.

Even better would be if a bigger percentage of premier league tv money goes to all lower league clubs so the gap between the leagues isnt as significant.

Absolutely this.

Sincere apologies our squad that's was worth half of Boro's 75 million squad didn't have the class/depth to get us over Boro at home.
Apology accepted. Now please explain how you only got 2 points against Preston, failing to score a goal. Brighton is almost three times the value of Preston's team. Surely you have enough class to see off little ol' Preston?

Yeah lets ignore all the other years where the top 3-4 clubs were always the ones winning the title. Yes picking the right players matters, but money means more so stop pretending it doesn't.

Leicester is the aberration, not the norm.
Funny, I don't remember ever remember mentioning winning titles in that quote. I'm just going by your statement that we really shouldn't even have a prayer against a Newcastle team who at the time was worth more than double the dough, and even by that theory, are considered the better team using that measure.

So you think Newcastle's massive player budget plays no part in anything. It's because of their manager. Right.

I think the parachute payments are a shower of s**t, move on, go back to the PL forums.
Why don't you ask the Newcastle fans where they would finish in the Championship if still had Steve the Clown at the club? How about Villa?

As @NUFC_Tiger said, their size and stay in the PL obviously helps, but at the same time, it is what you do with that money.

Look at your last 5 seasons. Do you seriously think money is an issue? You're not languishing midtable like a lot of other 'rich' clubs. You've had three bites of that cherry, including a very good one last season.

As a club, Brighton should not be complaining about money issues. You pretty much have a good solid core, but your only problem is that they choke when it really matters. You're at that point where you could spend a crapton of that and still miss out. You had 17 draws, hold your nerve to convert one of those for a win, and its a different story.

If you were in the PL, I bet you could manage an 11-15th place finish with the same resources given. There's no reason why you can't.

So the same 5-6 clubs will yo-yo because they would 'get smart.' I'm yet to see that myself and I'm confident that will never happen, but I will tell you one thing: Newcastle are not going to romp the league just because they're 'big.' Oh no. They will work their fat Geordie butt off to make sure they fight off all comers. The pressure is all on them.

I'm glad you're not a Brighton player, because I'm sure your squad can smell the promotion opportunity, and be determined to push even harder. You've got at least one player in there that knows that pain all too well.
I honestly believe that our squad is better....ah you got me. Called my bluff. :D

mjl.gif

On the topic though, I definitely wouldn't deny that the TV money (and in all likelihood parachute payments) will be big factors on why the club can afford to (presumably) have one of the best paid squads, biggest net spends on transfers and probably among the best paid managers in the division. That's just the reality of us being in the top flight for a few seasons (since our last relegation) and having an owner who (until not so long ago) ran the club on a shoestring instead of investing in the squad...

Either way, it's not really here nor there. I would point to the example of someone like Bournemouth who must have gone up with one of the smallest financial backings in the league. And who (I'm guessing here) were the only team that the Foxes could boast to having a more valuable squad than? They showed in the PL that even without the money available to them, they could beat better financed opponents on their day.

In other nations, you can look at Eibar in Spain and Carpi in Italy who both recently made the top flights in those nations despite being 'tiny' clubs.

I think the reality of it is with the increasing financial lure of the premier league, investment in the second division (with new ambitious new owners, ambitious signings, ambitious managerial appointments etc) will continue to increase as well. That being said, money doesn't always guarantee results - especially if the execution is poor. Give me a well run, modestly financed club over a bloated, big spender any day of the week!

Why don't ya come back up here and say it. We've got a Vardy special with your name on it!

And Rostov, and Berlin, Angers, and Caen to a lesser extent. There is certainly lure to buy 'cheap' and 'get rich' by making the promotion. I know our owners made everything back just from promotion alone.

That's a great point, but you know what the funny thing is? I know I've mentioned it many times before, but I think the biggest gap talent wise is actually the Champ-L1 gap. I believe many Championship squads can test out the lower PL, whereas I'm confident only Wigan will give a good fight. Burton is going to find it tough in all honesty, but if they survive, maybe they might build their way up like Rotherham. Barnsley... they're going to get whacked.

Apology accepted. Now please explain how you only got 2 points against Preston, failing to score a goal. Brighton is almost three times the value of Preston's team. Surely you have enough class to see off little ol' Preston?

Because we can't afford 9-10 million pound strikers to score us the goals we needed.

Pretty simple really.

Funny, I don't remember ever remember mentioning winning titles in that quote. I'm just going by your statement that we really shouldn't even have a prayer against a Newcastle team who at the time was worth more than double the dough, and even by that theory, are considered the better team using that measure.

Pointing out the anomalies doesn't mean you dismiss the norm.

Why don't you ask the Newcastle fans where they would finish in the Championship if still had Steve the Clown at the club? How about Villa?

As @NUFC_Tiger said, their size and stay in the PL obviously helps, but at the same time, it is what you do with that money.

That's all that needs to be recognised there. As the discussion is about the advantage it gives.

Look at your last 5 seasons. Do you seriously think money is an issue? You're not languishing midtable like a lot of other 'rich' clubs. You've had three bites of that cherry, including a very good one last season.

We were almost relegated too when we had a lot of injuries and very little depth. Just like this season, as soon as the injuries and suspensions came at the crucial part of the season we were found wanting.

As a club, Brighton should not be complaining about money issues. You pretty much have a good solid core, but your only problem is that they choke when it really matters. You're at that point where you could spend a crapton of that and still miss out. You had 17 draws, hold your nerve to convert one of those for a win, and its a different story.

Yeah, a 10 million pound striker would probably have given us that extra class edge in front of goal. We didn't have a Grey or Rhodes running aorund in our side unfortunately though.

If you were in the PL, I bet you could manage an 11-15th place finish with the same resources given. There's no reason why you can't.

Possibly. However all our best players are at present trying to be lured away so we're just as likely to go backwards than forwards as we can't compete financially with PL or top of the Championship money.

So the same 5-6 clubs will yo-yo because they would 'get smart.' I'm yet to see that myself and I'm confident that will never happen, but I will tell you one thing: Newcastle are not going to romp the league just because they're 'big.' Oh no. They will work their fat Geordie butt off to make sure they fight off all comers. The pressure is all on them.

If the rumoured budgets are true it's not because Newcastle are big or work hard, it's because they will be able to spend more on transfers than 3/4 of the rest of the leagues squad values.

I'm glad you're not a Brighton player, because I'm sure your squad can smell the promotion opportunity, and be determined to push even harder. You've got at least one player in there that knows that pain all too well.

Our two best midfielders haven't signed new contracts offered to them and one is being bid on by Burnely, our best young defender is also in quite a few clubs radars with bids submitted.

I think they are smelling the opportunity of PL and money right now and if they go, we're stuffed.

I think they are smelling the opportunity of PL and money right now and if they go, we're stuffed.[/QUOTE]

Because we can't afford 9-10 million pound strikers to score us the goals we needed.

Pretty simple really.

Who said you needed a 9-10m striker? Our million pound striker and free agent scored 15+ to see us out of the Championship (and just for reference, our squads were of the same level back then. Burnley’s was 16th. QPR almost bottled it). Bournemouth won with the 4th cheapest squad, Brentford got 5th with the cheapest. 3rd highest Wigan finished 2nd from bottom from a hapless Blackpool.

Pointing out the anomalies doesn't mean you dismiss the norm.
Newcastle have been constantly raked 7th-8th value-wise since 2011. I don’t think anyone would’ve had them as a serious top 10 contender in that time. Just achieving 15th last season would’ve been something for them. In a more relevant pool, there is no clear pattern in the Championship. Even if the wealthiest club does, they usually have to suss their way through the playoffs, like Norwich, Hull and QPR, which is a massive gamble for them.

Our owners thought the same thing, like many others. If money was that much of a deciding factor, Sven would've been a PL manager.

That's all that needs to be recognised there. As the discussion is about the advantage it gives.
That is obvious, but the factor is how much of an advantage. Your comments against Boro was 'Naturally they were going to win, our squad is half their value (according to a very speculative site),' yet when I bring up the scoreless draws against a team that has only a third of your squad value, it then becomes 'we didn't have a 10m pound striker...' Yeah, because you needed a player whose value is the same as Preston's in order to beat them, despite having three times the amount.

Just for the record, Fulham and McCormack lost 2-1 to Preston. They also needed McCormack to make sure they got a draw against them. You know Fulham, they're the whole reason why the transfer market is a mess. How are they doing?

Now I ask you for last season: Would you rather be Fulham instead with Ross McCormack? Or be in it all the way for the top 2?

In the Championship doesn’t mean that much because of how competitive it is. You’re not fighting Chelsea or Man City, you’re fighting Norwich and Villa, sides that you could easily compete against.

We were almost relegated too when we had a lot of injuries and very little depth. Just like this season, as soon as the injuries and suspensions came at the crucial part of the season we were found wanting.
Guess what? In the Championship, that could happen to any club. If Newcastle suffered the same, I expect them to sink as well.

Yeah, a 10 million pound striker would probably have given us that extra class edge in front of goal. We didn't have a Grey or Rhodes running aorund in our side unfortunately though.
Oh yes, Grey and his price tag of 6m, probably even less if you took the gamble when he was at Luton. We gave you 8m for Ulloa, and you have been spending some decent coin on effective players. I’d much rather that than then getting Beckford or Akinbidi, don’t you think?

In theory, do you think Michael Keane will be Leicester's best player? We could potentially pay Burnley 20m for him.

Possibly. However all our best players are at present trying to be lured away so we're just as likely to go backwards than forwards as we can't compete financially with PL or top of the Championship money.
When a club has hit the playoffs 3 times in the last 4 with little success, the frustration is bound to happen, especially in the way you went out. This isn’t exactly uncommon either.

To be fair, I can't quote on Brighton's budget, but your culture will play a big part on how you take this latest setback. Derby could've easily fallen away this season, but after getting Pearson, I think they'll be back on track.

If the rumoured budgets are true it's not because Newcastle are big or work hard, it's because they will be able to spend more on transfers than 3/4 of the rest of the leagues squad values.

I think the table will tell the tale this season. Spending a crapton and not having an effective plan in the Championship is a good way to make a spectacular failure.

Our two best midfielders haven't signed new contracts offered to them and one is being bid on by Burnely, our best young defender is also in quite a few clubs radars with bids submitted.

I think they are smelling the opportunity of PL and money right now and if they go, we're stuffed.

Such is the lure of the PL on a quality sense. You're playing in better competition. If they can see themselves as regulars there, while they can't see you getting up, then you suspect they will.

Young defender? Would he fetch a lot of money? A lot of crazy money going on. If your DOF is worth his salt, then he won't be going for at least 10m or something.

As noted, you're putting a lot of emphasis on money in a place where really, its significance is at its lowest. Money will get you out of the lower leagues, and will help you compete in the PL, but in the Championship, there are so many like clubs in there. Your squad is considered to be 8th most valuable even, and you've got some good backing. At least your club is run well, and many clubs would kill for that sort of thing. There are clubs in that league that wishes it were you, especially with what you have delivered.

I get why they need the parachute payments, but even now, those terms have been reduced by a fair bit. By the third year in the Championship, they're on with the other clubs, but by that point, they're pretty much as established as Forest and Ipswich and all those other clubs too.

I think it will happen to Villa, and if Norwich aren't careful, it will happen to them. QPR and Cardiff are well on the way in being part of that club too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How have Wolverhampton Wanderers not been mentioned yet? They got bought out by a Chinese consortium (what is it with the Chinese....) and are offering >25 MILLION F****N POUNDS< for a bloke called Anderson Talisca from Benfica, who could easily be a world class player one day. They're probably the richest club in the Championship right now.

I can easily see them, Newcastle and Wednesday going up. Wouldn't mind seeing Leeds challenge but knowing Cellino's still there, might as well pack it in by September.

How have Wolverhampton Wanderers not been mentioned yet? They got bought out by a Chinese consortium (what is it with the Chinese....) and are offering >25 MILLION F****N POUNDS< for a bloke called Anderson Talisca from Benfica, who could easily be a world class player one day. They're probably the richest club in the Championship right now.

I can easily see them, Newcastle and Wednesday going up. Wouldn't mind seeing Leeds challenge but knowing Cellino's still there, might as well pack it in by September.

Euros I'm pretty sure. Still, they're definitely very rich now despite no parachute payments.

Euros I'm pretty sure. Still, they're definitely very rich now despite no parachute payments.

You're right, it's euros, which equates to 21 million pounds. That's still bloody huge, it'd be the record fee for a championship player by a long margin.

And if I recall correctly, they're actually the richest club in the Championship now (going by the wealth of the owners).

Here we go again.

No additions to our squad but honestly, thats a positive as manager not knowing his best 11 was an issue last season.
Have lost Buxton to Wigan which is a loss in the sense that he is a huge dressing room & fan fave.

Major positive is keeping Hughes who is basically a signing & having a manager who knows how to get out of this bloody league

seth

ALBION have snubbed a substantial bid from Newcastle for winger Anthony Knockaert.

The offer has been firmly rejected as chairmanTony Bloommaintains his stance of trying to keep together the squad that went so close to promotion to the Premier League last season.

The Argus understands Newcastle are prepared to pay between £6 million and £10 million for ex-Leicester wide man Knockaert, who returned to English football with the Seagulls from Belgian club Standard Liege in January for around £2.6 million.

So they've already spent a total of 28 million pounds on three players. How much ******* money have they got to spunk on players?

So they've already spent a total of 28 million pounds on three players. How much ******* money have they got to spunk on players?
Newcastle could cover that by selling Sissoko.

They've also made close to the same amount through player sales and are likely to sell Sissoko for over 30m.

In fairness they also seem to have bought smart for once. Hanley is a nutcase, but he's the type of player who tries his heart out for a club. Players like Ritchie and Gayle will also likely be very competent in the championship.

And in addition to Sissoko, they also got about 25m for Wijnaldum and 13m for Townsend.

They've got plenty to spend.

To be fair mate, the board gave Rafa assurances that he'd have money to spend on rebuilding the squad and that he'd have the final say on all transfers, as well as not being forced to sell any player against his wishes.

Going off the transfermarkt figures, we're actually running at a profit and that's before potential other departures in Sissoko, Thauvin and Tiote.

If anything, we're just reinvesting money by moving on players who aren't interested in trying to gain promotion and bringing in players who are up for the challenge.

In fairness they also seem to have bought smart for once. Hanley is a nutcase, but he's the type of player who tries his heart out for a club. Players like Ritchie and Gayle will also likely be very competent in the championship.

And in addition to Sissoko, they also got about 25m for Wijnaldum and 13m for Townsend.

They've got plenty to spend.

I'm keen to see how Hanley goes. We definitely need a few of his sort who are willing to give everything they've got and seems like character (as well as experience in the division) is a thing Rafa is big on.

Hopefully you chaps get a good replacement in! :thumbsu:

Was someone dissing my Preston homies?

Noticed NUFC mistook where Callum Robinson went, as he came to PNE FROM Villa. :D

Ooops! :oops:

Must have glanced too quickly at the article when I was looking at Villa's transfer business. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back