So who do we want to play against in the prelim?

Remove this Banner Ad

kerrazy

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Apologies if this isn't a valid thread and feel free to remove, but thought we could keep a discussion about future opponents here.

Who do you prefer to play in two weeks time?

Assuming Fremantle defeat sydney, I am hoping we play Sydney, as their injury list is pretty bad and something we could easily capitalise on.

I am unsure about Richmond . they defeated Fremantle over here pretty easily and dispatched hawthorn too.

One of the more subtle but in my opinion significant factors is... If Fremantle drop today against the Swans then it should rule out the possibility of us wearing the clash in the Grand Final. We would become the higher seed even if we play them. We would presumably wear royal at the G against their white away.

Anyone really, our home advantage is just so strong. It's more of a concern who we play at the MCG, that's where I think we might be exposed a bit more.

In order:
1. Richmond- Minimal finals experience + we have already beaten them (away!) this year
2. North- We/Simpson haven't beaten them over the last 2 years so the years of us being their bogey team are over. We are overdue a win though, and no team which has made the prelim from outside the top 4, has gone on to win it.
3. Sydney - Our convincing win earlier in the year (with their massive outs) was our first win against them anywhere since ?? 2007. I'm still a little scared of them as we haven't strung together enough wins against them to shake the bogey team tag. I suspect some of their players will have returned by the prelim too.
4. Freo - Funny, if we had lost last night, they would have been my ideal prelim opponent, but I'd rather keep our home ground advantage (and would rather play them in a GF or not at all, than in a prelim). It would be a 50-50, whilst any of the other 3 possible opponents would be at least 60-40.

The longer ground at subi definitely suits our gameplan. I'm hoping it can still hold at the g.

Surely we wear our away royal strip if the shockers make the gf?

The longer ground at subi definitely suits our gameplan. I'm hoping it can still hold at the g.

Surely we wear our away royal strip if the shockers make the gf?
I hope we at least make a request to the AFL to wear it, but I suspect it may be knocked back as the AFL will feel that their blurple clashes with our royal. Besides (if the dockers win tomorrow) , they deserve to wear their preferred strip. Hopefully Freo lose the shorts toss/get asked to wear white shorts, and that they opt for their white strip ala 2013

In terms of opposition, I couldn't give a *.

However, I'd be ignorant of the fact that if we did play Freo we'd lose our 23rd player. That is a big thing.

But in no way, does that mean we fear the Dockers. It's just business. Freo supporters would say the same.

Bring whoever on. This team will take of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not Freo would rather keep home ground advantage and play them in the GF.

To me Sydney, North and Richmond are all on the same level. No difference to me.
Or what he said.

tumblr_inline_mgv01qbWPt1r5c8sb.gif

North and Richmond would concern me more than Sydney. We've only had two wins from six games against them since 2013. Sydney of course have an exceptional record against us and are experienced in finals, but their outs are massive. A prelim against them would likely be a repeat of the H&A flogging.

Freo is by far the least favourable opponent.

I'll be unabashedly barracking for Freo for these reasons:
-Better for the competition directly speaking (Sydney have won more flags, Freo have never won one)
-Better for us as it means we'll keep our home ground advantage in the prelim, and means that Hawthorn will face another tough trip to Perth! (Freo in Perth will be tougher for them than Sydney in Sydney)

Id prefer if they went out in straight sets.

Wouldnt mind playing anyone at home. Have to beat everyone to win a flag

Not really, unless freo were to go out in straight sets again, but not sure that would happen, so for now, I guess we want freo to win. Probably the wrong word there, we want Sydney to lose more.
If Freo did the unthinkable and lost today I could see them getting beaten by Richmond next week.

I dont know who its best to play. I dont really want the Dockers in the GF if we make it but then again I dont really want the Hawks either as its their home ground. An easier prelim means potentially a harder GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back