Number 24

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
the whipping boy of Hawthorn supporters in 2011 ?

It is only hours away from the kick off of the Hawks 2011 season. I know it is only the NAB cup but that has never stopped the so called Hawthorn supporters from giving vent to their negative feelings towards the player they just can't stand wearing the Hawthorn colors.

Taylor was a favorite "hated"player, but he is gone.

Dowler drew a lot of negative comment, but he too is gone.

Murphy is another to cop it from the "supporters" and he is still there. Morton is another. Ladson is still eligible and copped plenty last year. Ellis gets a bagging too. Henry Jnr, that font of wisdom in all matters relating to football likes to give Shiels a whack. And lets not forget Suckling, he cops his share of criticism too.

So who is it going to be this year ? Don't be shy, it is your chance to show everybody how much more you know than Clarko, the other coaches, Pelchen and anyone else who might have been responsible for retaining/selecting that player

unfortunately, will always be murphy

Whilst hawks fans are very passionate, very few actually watch the game.

I recall last year when there was a turn over vs sydney, a fan yelled out "f***ing Murphy, Drag him!!!!"

Clarko must have been listening, because Murphy was on the bench before the incident occured :)

I think that Hale is up against it from the start. He will always be compared to whomever was selected with the draft pick we traded for him; more an opportunity cost type of arrangement I guess.
(I won't labour my thoughts about him as a forward, but I am happy that we got him for the ruck & think he will do well).

I can see the tide swinging against Ossie; especially if he is getting games & averages less than approx. 2 goals a game (which would make him a serious weapon by the way... Perception is a funny thing).

Ellis is on a hiding. If he plays well then he will be "being carried by a great team", or people will be looking at how overdue his improvements are.

The Pelican is probably in for it too. If any of Hale, Smith, Popeye et al don't come on then Chrissie's Dad will go bananas & call for his head.:D

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess maybe Changa will get a spray from supporters this year. Since there has been an injection of pace from younger guys, as well as him being turned into a stopper, he won't be needed/spotted doing his old line-breaking. Thus he may be less noticable.

Also note that he is an experienced senior player, but still got suspended for 3 weeks in 2010 in that West Coast incident. Hopefully that won't happen again.

Not that he will deserve any unjust critcism if he gets it.

I'm tipping the the player who makes the most fundamental errors, esp if it's unforced and costs us dearly.

Taylor owned that title in 2009 with Murphy a close 2nd, but at least Murphy worked hard on his weaknesses last year and became more consistent.

I remember Tucky would fluff his kicks and decision making on occasion which was disappointing because i thought he was headed for big things early in 2009.

Schoenmakers started brightly too but faded into some lazy habits which cost him his place in the side - plenty of upside though.

Ladson could be on the slide or maybe just needs a decent preseason and a definitive role to play, who knows? but he was well below par in 2010.

Ellis has the smarts, not always the execution, which can frustrate at times. Like Schoey though, I'm confident he'll become more consistent with experience.

Hopefully most of these players (if Tuck plays) have worked on their games as much as Murph did in 2010 and can contribute to virtual "error free" & disciplined footy of the 2008 Hawks mold.:thumbsu:

Funny, if insensitive idea for a thread.

I am going to say that people will be calling for Goo, Changa, and Laddo to be out from the early stages if they don't perform.

I (would like to) think that they might not get that many chances.... and that this year young blokes will be called in to replace any player who doesn't perform.....

however Clarko would need to change his stripes for that to happen.

Yes a few of the nuffies in my area gave Murphy relentless sprays last year despite the fact that he was one of our better players all year.

I reakon the natives will become restless pretty quickly if we dont get off to a good start this year... and I reakon Clarko might become the new whipping boy.

1. Any of clarkos "untouchables" who seem to get a game each week irrespective of form (generally premiership players - a change in selection policy may diminish this group). Members have included Ellis, ladson, Murphy, guerra, etc. This group seems to further infruriate supporters when "the next big thing" is supposedly playing at box hill

2. The brain fart group - players who every now and then do completely stupid things in key passages e.g. Guerra, Murphy and previously Taylor

3. The "your the best player we have for a position but not up to Elite afl standard" - group. Members have included gilham, Murphy, young, renouf - greater depth this year should reduce the attention these guys get (or may push them out of side). Generally have one key flaw that stands out that drives supporters insane (eg Murphy falling over, gilhams lack of pace, birchalls lack of oh ability)

4. The "how are u still on the list after x years and no improvemet" group. Morton, suckling and possibly tuck round this group out.

1. Any of clarkos "untouchables" who seem to get a game each week irrespective of form (generally premiership players - a change in selection policy may diminish this group). Members have included Ellis, ladson, Murphy, guerra, etc. This group seems to further infruriate supporters when "the next big thing" is supposedly playing at box hill

2. The brain fart group - players who every now and then do completely stupid things in key passages e.g. Guerra, Murphy and previously Taylor

3. The "your the best player we have for a position but not up to Elite afl standard" - group. Members have included gilham, Murphy, young, renouf - greater depth this year should reduce the attention these guys get (or may push them out of side). Generally have one key flaw that stands out that drives supporters insane (eg Murphy falling over, gilhams lack of pace, birchalls lack of oh ability)

4. The "how are u still on the list after x years and no improvemet" group. Morton, suckling and possibly tuck round this group out.

'4.' says it all. If ur not improving then u have no need to be on the list.

Has to be Tom Murphy, although I am trembling waiting for all the circle-jerking Murphy fans to have a crack at me. Possibly the worst footballer I have ever seen. If Puopolo gets the small forward where does Murphy play.

Seriously the OP asked for it so I am just going to state it, skills and decision making are nowhere near AFL standard and you just can't fall over all the time in this competition.

If Gilham has not learnt to contest a footy over the pre-season, he will be on the end of one of my sprays too.

Henry Jnr, that font of wisdom in all matters relating to football likes to give Shiels a whack.

SHIELS, Shiels? Henry might be the big kahuna round here but fair suck of the sav. In footballing terms he is a gun rooter.

If the Rough keeps spraying shots he might be in a for a few jeers. And Henry if he keeps ragging on Shiels.

The player who doesn't go when it's his turn

Unless ......Murpthy has grown some balls over the pre-season i would hate to be him didn't go several times last year when he should of i hope he relise's this & shows he has what it takes to be in our best 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be Tom Murphy, although I am trembling waiting for all the circle-jerking Murphy fans to have a crack at me. Possibly the worst footballer I have ever seen. If Puopolo gets the small forward where does Murphy play.

Seriously the OP asked for it so I am just going to state it, skills and decision making are nowhere near AFL standard and you just can't fall over all the time in this competition.

If Gilham has not learnt to contest a footy over the pre-season, he will be on the end of one of my sprays too.

And there's your answer folks...

Murphy, despite his continued improvement and great leadership qualities, will always remain the whipping boy of the HFC while he is on the list. FWIW, I think he may just get edged out this year if a few youngsters come on as expected, but Blind Freddy can see the guy has improved in leaps and bounds over the the last year or so.

Thankfully he is smarter than to listen to a bunch of circle-jerking Murphy haters.

And there's your answer folks...

Murphy, despite his continued improvement and great leadership qualities, will always remain the whipping boy of the HFC while he is on the list. FWIW, I think he may just get edged out this year if a few youngsters come on as expected, but Blind Freddy can see the guy has improved in leaps and bounds over the the last year or so.

Thankfully he is smarter than to listen to a bunch of circle-jerking Murphy haters.

LOL at this I miss all those other geometric shapes. As far as Murphy is concerned some people will never be objective.

Murphy just not up to AFL standard I'm afraid.
And with the likes of newbie Pup playing today it will certainly highlight
just how bad Murphy is.

Changa will hopefully have the blowtorch put on him, his desire for the ball & contest for the past 2 years has been woeful, hopefully this new
mantra of playing the best players will expose players like Changa that has played behind the ball and outside instead of pack hunter like 2008.

Birchall needs to really grow as a footballer this year.
He really hasnt improved as a footballer and has become a one trick pony.
The game has moved on, and i think if Birchall doesnt get some urgency
and hard hitting physical tackling in his game look at a trade 2012.

Gibson may also come under some heat if he doesnt collect some forward
scalps this year. Yes he cant play on the monsters but then again who can?
We gave up abit to get him i just hope this year he repays the faith and grows like Collingwoods O'Brien in owning that back half. He really will be the difference i think to top 4 or bottom 8.

Clarkson please follow Collingwoods lead and ethos 'Play the best 22" that week and watch how desperate they become.
No favourites...earn your spot no matter who you are.

SHIELS, Shiels? Henry might be the big kahuna round here but fair suck of the sav. In footballing terms he is a gun rooter.

If the Rough keeps spraying shots he might be in a for a few jeers. And Henry if he keeps ragging on Shiels.

Sure is :D

Gotta be Cam Bruce for me. Didn't really rate him at Melbourne and I find I'm forcing myself to like him. Hope his form makes him easier to warm to.

Gotta be Cam Bruce for me. Didn't really rate him at Melbourne and I find I'm forcing myself to like him. Hope his form makes him easier to warm to.

So you definitely missed the Hawthorn Intra Club Match! Brucie showed off his skill and will be a great fit! :)

So you definitely missed the Hawthorn Intra Club Match! Brucie showed off his skill and will be a great fit! :)
Yeah did hear those reports. Living in WA you dont get to too many intra club games. Look I hope he has great year for the club, but for a long time I disliked him so will reserve judgement untill he plays some h
&a games over intra club.

From the words of a Demon mate; "ha you can have him great skills, no heart."

I hope he feels he has something to prove because he needs to demonstrate how much he will sacrifice for his new club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back