Toast Steele and Butler make All-Australian Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Steele is a lock

Butler's inclusion may depend on how many mids they want to squeeze in there

He's the leading goal kicker for small forwards and also had the most tackles inside 50

Papley has had a pretty impressive year though

Steele is a lock

He's the leading goal kicker for small forwards and also had the most tackles inside 50

I would like to hope they could fit both Butler and Papley in.

Both have had better seasons than some of the mids they have added in.

Steele is a lock

If it was a “real side” you’d think all three selected small forwards in Butler, Papley and Liam Ryan make it in.

But given they may want to cram the side with midfielders it’s pretty much a coin flip which of the 3 get in.

With said midfield cramming hopefully Jack Steele makes it in.

If it was a “real side” you’d think all three selected small forwards in Butler, Papley and Liam Ryan make it in.

But given they may want to cram the side with midfielders it’s pretty much a coin flip which of the 3 get in.

I've got no doubt Steele will make it

He's been the most consistent of all mids

Steele will make it and i think Butler will too, both had had the media coverage imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Butler kicked more goals than any other small forward.

Coff has a slow start to the year and there are a few that are well ahead of him in that position.
Zak Butters mate.

Pretty strange to see a player get in averaging 15 touches and less than a goal a game

Had a look through the stats, was very surprised with how good Ryan's numbers are. He's ahead of Papley and Butler based purely on that.

Butler's main advantage is kicked the most goals (only by 1) and has twice as many tackles as the other two. Marks, and score involvements he's well behind

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 5.44.13 pm.png

Butler a better pressure player, the other two a better target, Papley getting a lot more shots on goal but missing… could have kicked 35+

Interesting in comparison to my man the lone-dog…

His late 2018, early 2019 form yielded an average of
14 disposals
2.7 tackles
4.2 marks
1.5 goals

Similar numbers to his form late this season, hope he gets a full season at it next year… at the saints.

Had a look through the stats, was very surprised with how good Ryan's numbers are. He's ahead of Papley and Butler based purely on that.

Butler's main advantage is kicked the most goals (only by 1) and has twice as many tackles as the other two. Marks, and score involvements he's well behind
Well most coaches would want two things from their small forwards

A - KICK GOALS and

B - PROVIDE PRESSURE

So Butler Ryan then Papley.

Well most coaches would want two things from their small forwards

A - KICK GOALS and

B - PROVIDE PRESSURE

So Butler Ryan then Papley.

Let's hope that's how the selectors see it ;) Would love to have Butler in there

Ryan is an awesome player but the commentators obsession with him annoys me. I love Papley's inner mongrel but the staging stuff is embarrassing

View attachment 968148

Butler a better pressure player, the other two a better target, Papley getting a lot more shots on goal but missing… could have kicked 35+

Interesting in comparison to my man the lone-dog…

His late 2018, early 2019 form yielded an average of
14 disposals
2.7 tackles
4.2 marks
1.5 goals

Similar numbers to his form late this season, hope he gets a full season at it next year… at the saints.
I'd go Papley and Butler.

Both had great years and represent two different types of small forwards, where Ryan and Papley have very similar numbers but I'd rate Papley as better overall.

Watched Port v Geelong. All Australian Forward Tom Hawkins was very ordinary. It struck me that with the way the team is chosen, with best midfielders being given non usual roles such as winger or small forward that the logical choice for AA full forward was Marshall. Marks as well as anyone and kicks straight. Better than Hawkins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back