Steven Silvagni: Football's Biggest Fraud

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get why a list manager not getting a trade done is seen as a negative.

So he didn't value Martin and Papley as high as the Suns and Swans did respectively, so what? He didn't falter and try to get approval to pay overs to satisfy an ego. He held firm to what pre trade Carlton determined they would pay for each. It didn't help matters that Sydney were only prepared to lose a contracted forward if they could get another one, albeit small v tall.

Very much like Dodoro in that the list he built hasn't actually achieved anything, but on paper it looks decent (although decent now v decent in 3 years time). Not sure he has a great reputation, as others have alluded to his choices in senior depth and late picks have been terrible and made guys like Silvagni, SPS, O'Brien, Dow, Weitering, Stocker all be exposed early on in their careers because they are playing roles well above their experience and capability. He's performed as expected when it comes to having heaps of high picks so I don't think anyone thinks he's a genius because he saw talent in Weitering, or got Setterfield on the cheap.

When he said that the Papley deal didn't get done because they were waiting on the Daniher deal I was gobsmacked.

How in the hell can you tie your #1 (or #2 at worst) target to another team's deal with no plan B?

Wouldn't trust this bloke to make a move for me in connect 4.

Enjoy Jenkins and Fat Stevens 👍👍👍

Values top end draft picks more than any other list manager, and given his background that’s hardly surprising, but he’s built the core of a good side through savvy trading and prioritising competitive kids with a real point of difference.

No surprise he had no interest in flicking a top pick for an uncontracted out of form player in Martin.

Papley was never going once the Daniher deal was off.

When he said that the Papley deal didn't get done because they were waiting on the Daniher deal I was gobsmacked.

How in the hell can you tie your #1 (or #2 at worst) target to another team's deal with no plan B?

Wouldn't trust this bloke to make a move for me in connect 4.

Except they did have a Plan B, and Sydney wouldn’t accept it, and they’re completely within their rights to refuse the trade. The goal posts always change during trade week, and after missing out on Daniher there’s no way they’d want to lose a forward.

Last edited:
Even with the deal with Adelaide last year I think he’s a bit of a tight arse but has brought in some good young players.
It seemed to me he was keeping a lot of young discards from GWS on short contracts so he could give em the flick if something good comes along.
There’s a lot of players now at Carlton that were first rnd picks or due to trade deals have the value of first rnd picks.
I reckon they could play finals next year but they don’t want to end up in the dead zone like north and port for a few years stuck mid table

Seriously how does this bloke have the reputation he does?

How does he seemingly have free reign to as he pleases at Carlton and end up with promotions.

What has he actually achieved?

All this talk about Bolton and maybe he was part of the problem but this bloke has been in charge of their list 5 years.

Won zero finals, his drafting leaves a fair bit to be desired in my opinion and year after year they have the same giant flaws.

This man has a lot of people conned including the media. Don’t think I’ve seen them ever criticise his record.

Always banging on about him winning trade periods. How can you win them when they don’t lead to any sort of genuine success?
What is this babble? SOS has been at Carlton since the 2015, since then they have undergone the biggest rebuild in club history. We never were expecting to or targeting to make the finals in any of the seasons SOS has been here, it's all been about gutting the list and replacing it with young talent.

This sounds like a massive deflection based on insecurities you have over your own clubs list manager who hasn't won a final in 15 years, and has received countless undeserved promotions

I guarantee his reputation would be far worse today if he'd caved and given the Suns a first round pick upgrade and a second rounder for an uncontracted Jack Martin.

As for the Papley trade, I think his manager's statements say it all.

Your time might be better spent worrying about the picks 5 and 9 that Dodo left on table while forcing Daniher to stay against his will. Will be ugly scenes in a year's time if he walks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reactionary thread. His last few trade periods he was good.

Absolutely botched this one but you can't win them all.

There was a time that Richmond was missing out on every big name every year (hectic melts about Treloar IIRC), trading 2nd rounders for Hampson and 1st rounders for Yarran, also crucified for coughing up pick 6 for Prestia.

You can afford a few * ups as list manager, despite what most people think.

A 4 year rebuild should have shown progress by now.

Climbing from 18th to 16th in 4 years isn't very promising.

Seeing as we did it via the draft, most of the new list is like 18-22. Curnow, Walsh, McKay, SPS, Dow, LOB, Setters, Weitering, Stocker, Fisher etc. Our best player is 24.

If we were even close to playing finals already it's a 10 year dynasty in the making. Players don't generally have an impact till 4-5 pre seasons and at around 100 games.

Did you miss the improvement this year after Bolton was sacked?

We're tracking nicely. We could give finals a shake next year and hopefully can trade in a gun player or two next year and push for even more wins in 2021. By then the kids above will be much more AFL hardened and 20-25 years old.

Like this thread is an absolute joke.

Seeing as we did it via the draft, most of the new list is like 18-22. Curnow, Walsh, McKay, SPS, Dow, LOB, Setters, Weitering, Stocker, Fisher etc. Our best player is 24.

If we were even close to playing finals already it's a 10 year dynasty in the making. Players don't generally have an impact till 4-5 pre seasons and at around 100 games.

We're tracking nicely. We could give finals a shake next year and hopefully can trade in a gun player or two next year and push for even more wins in 2021. By then the kids above will be much more AFL hardened and 20-25 years old.

St Kilda are better than Carlton with a younger list and worse coach.

Explain that.

Also please don't temp ban me for disagreeing with you. Which you did the last time we had an interaction.

St Kilda are better than Carlton with a younger list and worse coach.

Explain that.

The Saints are a middling list. They've busted a ton of draft picks and are stuck in no man's land. I'm not sure I really get the logic of their draft and trade strategy this year. They clearly think they're a chance with the list they have.

Id much rather be in our positon with the list we have than in the position of the Saints or Bombers with a middling list that is stuck in the 8-12 range for the foreseeable future.

Dead set reckon OP is Adrian Dodoro

Dodoro is much more clever and sly with his trolling.

Great thread. Would read again. Look forward to the retraction one should a Weitering-McKay-Curnow powered Blues line-up consistently compete in prelims and maybe jag a flag.

Silvagni has executed on a whole-of-club plan to do a scorched-earth rebuild. Pointing to win-loss record isn't just misguided, it's downright idiotic. I think even Carlton would admit they would have done things differently

The Carlton list is in pretty good shape. SOS hasn't made every post a winner, and he's far from the messiah-genius some might peg him as - but he's doing his job just fine, overall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back