Steven Silvagni: Football's Biggest Fraud

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, he was full back in the Team of the Century.

What's Dodoro's footy qualification again?

Being good at football =/= credential or qualification to manage or play a support role at a club.....

No idea why the entire league follows that flawed logic.

Being a superstar does not mean you're a good operator. In this case, Dodoro is a flog but also a shrewd and painful operator while Silvagni is just about the biggest exponent of 'the boys club kissed on the dick professional life' you will ever see....don't get me started on his son....if my surname was Silvagni I'd be Nat Fyfe and Dustin Martins love child.

I don't get why a list manager not getting a trade done is seen as a negative.

So he didn't value Martin and Papley as high as the Suns and Swans did respectively, so what? He didn't falter and try to get approval to pay overs to satisfy an ego. He held firm to what pre trade Carlton determined they would pay for each. It didn't help matters that Sydney were only prepared to lose a contracted forward if they could get another one, albeit small v tall.

Very much like Dodoro in that the list he built hasn't actually achieved anything, but on paper it looks decent (although decent now v decent in 3 years time). Not sure he has a great reputation, as others have alluded to his choices in senior depth and late picks have been terrible and made guys like Silvagni, SPS, O'Brien, Dow, Weitering, Stocker all be exposed early on in their careers because they are playing roles well above their experience and capability. He's performed as expected when it comes to having heaps of high picks so I don't think anyone thinks he's a genius because he saw talent in Weitering, or got Setterfield on the cheap.
Failing to commit to getting these trades done does negatively impact future trades, there's been evidence for that. I agree as a one off it's not a big deal, but promising guys you'll get them in then not being willing to pay for them is never a good look. In terms of actual list impact, they are good but not great players as much as people like Papley. Bit hyperbolic to list it as a huge failure.

So we miss out on a couple of trade targets, this means the 2nd half of the season is wiped out of memory now?

We still may get Martin, and natural improvement from the rest of the list should see us in the mid pack of sides next year, somewhere between 7th and 13th.

We went 6-5 under Teague, all things being equal 10-11 wins next year would be my prediction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All I'll say is this. Apart from Richmond for obvious reasons, what other list manager would you say is doing a bang up job.

I reckon you could have this thread about any of them and will get varied opinions on all of them.

Brady Rawlings....

Get in now while you can. We are on the rise. Our age profile must see significant progress by 2021 at the latest and we should be playing finals for a spell after that.

Takes a while to turn over a whole list and wait for them to grow. Our 2015 draft class all turn 23 at some point next year. We know those peak years are often from 24-27. We did well to make that year all about the spine.

Oh, some seriously crappy posts in this thread. Not main board worthy in any way.

Get in now while you can. We are on the rise. Our age profile must see significant progress by 2021 at the latest and we should be playing finals for a spell after that.

Takes a while to turn over a whole list and wait for them to grow. Our 2015 draft class all turn 23 at some point next year. We know those peak years are often from 24-27. We did well to make that year all about the spine.

Oh, some seriously crappy posts in this thread. Not main board worthy in any way.
Surely it's easier to just admit the rebuild has fail after three years than apply logic?

Seriously how does this bloke have the reputation he does?

How does he seemingly have free reign to as he pleases at Carlton and end up with promotions.

What has he actually achieved?

All this talk about Bolton and maybe he was part of the problem but this bloke has been in charge of their list 5 years.

Won zero finals, his drafting leaves a fair bit to be desired in my opinion and year after year they have the same giant flaws.

This man has a lot of people conned including the media. Don’t think I’ve seen them ever criticise his record.

Always banging on about him winning trade periods. How can you win them when they don’t lead to any sort of genuine success?
Another question you should be asking is how is Dodoro still in the job at Essendon.

Been hearing that excuse by Carlton supporters for 5 years now lmao

Sydney have pretty much lost all of their senior players and are the youngest team in the comp. Their rebuild has only been for a year and they have still made more progress than a team rebuilding since 2014! Same can be said of St Kilda and Brisbane.

Been hearing that excuse by Carlton supporters for 5 years now lmao

Sydney have pretty much lost all of their senior players and are the youngest team in the comp. Their rebuild has only been for a year and they have still made more progress than a team rebuilding since 2014! Same can be said of St Kilda and Brisbane.

Our rebuild started with the 2015 trade period and draft. The Swans have more players on their list from 2015 than Carlton do. The Swans were a finals team at that time. We were wooden spooners. 4 years later, our rebuild is finished. Sydney won one more game than us.

Brisbane started their rebuild at least a year ahead of us. Let's say a year shall we? Brisbane 2018 = Carlton 2019. 5 wins vs 7 wins.

We had a massive dearth of players in the peak age ranges when we started our rebuild. We have had to use stop gap players to fill that gap and then start trading to fill that gap as soon as we could get players wanting to come to us. We have a whole raft of players who will enter that age range from 2021-2023. Many of those had an impressive junior pedigree.

Nobody was suggesting a bunch of 18-21 year olds were going to dominate and send us up the ladder. 5th preseason coming up for a handful of them. Bodies are bigger, stamina better, belief getting stronger.

As I said, get in while you can.

Throw me another laughing emoji and weak ass rebuttal if you can.

Surely it's easier to just admit the rebuild has fail after three years than apply logic?

We haven't achieved anything yet. Just sit back and wait. These type of posters will shift the goalposts soon enough.

I agree that is drafting has been ok or even good. When you have multiple first round picks since every year you've been in charge you're eventually going to get one or two right. It would be impossible not to get at least 1 or 2 good players.

However, his inability to get played traded to his club is completely amateur. They missed out on, Saad [LIAR], Smith [LIAR], Shiel [THANK GOODNESS... BULLET DODGED BIGTIME], Cognilio [YEP], Gaff [LIAR], Kelly [LIAR], Papley [Nope, he nominated us and Sydney would not budge... fair enough, he is contracted] and Martin [WILL GET HIM FOR FREE INSTEAD]. If they had even got 2 of those players in they would be a chance for the 8 in 2020.

You are obviously a little simple, however cannot believe an Essendon supporter is bringing up "not winning a final" in your OP.

SOS looks bad at the moment, but who doesn't who has been involved at the club for more than the last 6 months? Everyone carries the stink of the massive hole they've been in going on decades now.

He's not a miracle worker, noone is turning that club around in the next 5 years at least. Badness at the level they have been is just a vortex that keeps sucking you back down. Richmond were so lucky to finally escape it.

Seriously how does this bloke have the reputation he does?

How does he seemingly have free reign to as he pleases at Carlton and end up with promotions.

What has he actually achieved?

All this talk about Bolton and maybe he was part of the problem but this bloke has been in charge of their list 5 years.

Won zero finals, his drafting leaves a fair bit to be desired in my opinion and year after year they have the same giant flaws.

This man has a lot of people conned including the media. Don’t think I’ve seen them ever criticise his record.

Always banging on about him winning trade periods. How can you win them when they don’t lead to any sort of genuine success?
He was a pretty handy footballer, wasn't he?

The only reason this trade period has been a failure for carlton is due to their own rhetoric over the last couple of years. Sos and his crew have repeatedly stated there were already enough talented youngsters on the list, and that their 1st pick in 2019 would be used on a gun recruit from another side. Through their own actions and words, it was made clear to everyone they didnt rate the quality of the draft this year. e.g. pick swap with Adelaide, Stocker.

When you consider all the posturing and bravado emanating from the blues, is it any surprise that a trade haul of Betts and Pittonet is widely regarded as a fail? Their inability to get Papley is a massive black mark. To have a contracted player commit, yet being unable or unwilling to pay the required price, is a disaster no matter how you see it. Sos defenders will argue that it wasnt up to him, and Papley was never on the table. Even if you believe that, why didn't Sos show initiative and try to deal another way? More importantly, why, after targeting this year's trade period for over 2 years, was Papley the only option for Carlton.

Given his statements on this year's draft quality(lack of), and the importance he placed on landing a ready made star, it is quite remarkable that Sos didn't have anyone else lined up.

Some will argue that he can still emerge victorious this year. Apart from keeping pick 9, Betts and Pittonet improve carltons list and they may still get Martin in the Psd.
Sugar coat it anyway you want. But, given the loud proclamations and raised expectations, Sos has failed to deliver for the blues this year. And, he has no one else to blame but himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back