Summer of cricket Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Decent chance someone in the Australian or Indian team set ups will get Covid and it will be all over. Matter of time.

There's about 100 people Australia wide with active covid infections and they're all in isolation. There is better odds of winning tattslotto than a member of the Australian or Indian test teams coming into close contact with any of them.

WA on border alert with Vic already.
well done you will never have any Covid cases, but kiss goodbye any live sport

WA on border alert with Vic already.
well done you will never have any Covid cases, but kiss goodbye any live sport

exactly what many have said would happen. Someone sneezes in Melbourne..McGowan gets a stiffy and s**t hits the fan.

Tbe smart thing to do would have been for every bastard to stay exactly where they are

Well, I know which I’d prefer.

i am not saying it’s a bad thing but anyone who thinks it’s feasible for a sporting organisation to cough up millions of dollars to put on a sporting event in WA without any guarantees of it going ahead

i am not saying it’s a bad thing but anyone who thinks it’s feasible for a sporting organisation to cough up millions of dollars to put on a sporting event in WA without any guarantees of it going ahead
Yep, completely reasonable.

It will be fine. Plus it’s tradition. No issue in going to the ground at all. People are overreacting, players are in bubbles.
Please don't tell any Victorian about overreacting. Gladys isn't doing enough to stop the spread up there.

exactly what many have said would happen. Someone sneezes in Melbourne..McGowan gets a stiffy and sh*t hits the fan.

Tbe smart thing to do would have been for every bastard to stay exactly where they are

Has a Vic chip on the shoulder,NSW get cases galore,McGowan closes border with Victoria,lmao.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how the logistics would work but surely it would have been fine for them to have the next test in Brisbane and then go from there? Tonnes of other options about too, including Hobart, Canberra and Perth. Having it in the one place in the country with a covid outbreak just seems completely mental.
It seemed the obvious option, swap the Brisbane and Sydney tests with Perth, Canberra, Hobart on stand-by.
Its a bit of an issue with Brisbane ticketing I guess, and the broadcasters would prefer two Sydney games to cut production costs - equipment goes by road with Sydney the base for a lot of equipmewnt and crew, making Perth and especially Hobart difficult on short notice. There is a reason Seven threw a hissy fit over the Tassie BBL hub.

Well, it seems like a couple of Boomers have ****ed everything again.

visited Sydney on the 21st, so there’s a fair chance they’ve infected a lot of people already in Melbourne.

Anticipating a quick exit of the Australian and Indian teams to Brisbane in the next 24-48hrs.

Call me crazy but I’m happy to take the former...

I’m off to get a coffee then heading down to the beach, before meeting up with friends for a NYE party.

Happy new year Eastern staters!

NYE is overrated.

Have a good one though knackers.

Australia India test series are vital to Cricket Australia’s existence. It’s the only test series they make profit. The ashes breaks even. The rest they take a huge loss. Whatever happens the test series will continue to go ahead. As for allowing smaller gatherings such as concerts - nope doesn’t make enough profit to justify going ahead.

Add the massive forces of Murdoch’s Foxtel and the associated tv rights.

The whole pink test is just another way of earning public endearment to make more money, despite the contradiction of the cricket being sponsored by highly processed fast food and alcohol products. If they were serious about raising awareness for cancer then they would stop this. But that would mean less profit.

Nothing stops the pursuit of profit in late stage Capitalism. Nothing. Exhibit A: the hundreds of thousands dead in the US. Exhibit B: the catastrophic state of the environment.

Last edited:
Australia India test series are vital to Cricket Australia’s existence. It’s the only test series they make profit. The ashes breaks even.

I know this gets thrown around a lot here but I’ve never understood why. CA earned an enormous windfall from the sale of TV rights over a number of years. Why would this entail profits for one season and losses for the others? How much more does Star Sports pay for Indian TV rights for the Border Gavaskar trophy than say BT sport does for the English rights to the Ashes? If profits can’t be made consistently even with a $1bn+ TV rights deal, then how were CA able to stay above water in seasons pst when the TV rights deal was a fraction of that? Central contracts aside, costs cannot have risen to that extent.

Last edited:
It seemed the obvious option, swap the Brisbane and Sydney tests with Perth, Canberra, Hobart on stand-by.
Its a bit of an issue with Brisbane ticketing I guess, and the broadcasters would prefer two Sydney games to cut production costs - equipment goes by road with Sydney the base for a lot of equipmewnt and crew, making Perth and especially Hobart difficult on short notice. There is a reason Seven threw a hissy fit over the Tassie BBL hub.

yup money and prestige .....So Perth doesn't have equipment and crew to film the cricket LOL its a joke

I know this gets thrown around a lot here but I’ve never understood why. CA earned an enormous windfall from the sale of TV rights over a number of years. Why would this entail profits for one season and losses for the others? How much more does Star Sports pay for Indian TV rights for the Border Gavaskar trophy than say BT sport does for the English rights to the Ashes? If profits can’t be made consistently even with a $1bn+ TV rights deal, then how were CA able to stay above water in seasons pst when the TV rights deal was a fraction of that? Central contracts aside, costs cannot have risen to that extent.

the tv rights of your higher profile series (for Australia predominantly the Ashes, and now India) cover the other series over the 4 year cycle which are less lucrative financially (whether that's via TV rights or at the gate)

Please don't tell any Victorian about overreacting. Gladys isn't doing enough to stop the spread up there.

This ain’t the politics forum but if your health department and contact tracing teams can’t cope with 5-10 daily cases then you have some very serious problems.

Total lockdowns at the sign of any cases isn’t the answer, although we’ll probably be back into Lockdown in Victoria by the weekend

I did wonder though with the likelihood of hard boarders if playing the Sydney Test last might have made it hard to get players out of NSW with nothing on the end of it? The Queensland Government want a test match so we're going to be more accommodating than they might have been post series?

Call me crazy but I’m happy to take the former...

I’m off to get a coffee then heading down to the beach, before meeting up with friends for a NYE party.

Happy new year Eastern staters!

that wasn’t the debate which state has it better. People wanted to know why Perth couldn’t be used as a test venue, McGowan’s tough border stance doesn’t lend itself to any sporting organisation playing their sport in WA.

At the moment I can do all those things in Victoria, despite the hysteria I don’t think we are headed for an immediate lockdown. Restrictions will increase.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back