Autopsy Swans got the job done winning against roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Big fan of Amartey.. reckon he could have a massive future.. But..
Is anyone else noticing hes kicking truckloads of goals (at both AFL & VFL level) in the 1st half, and then kind of goes missing?
He's giving me the impression that hes lacking the fitness to run out a game. Hopefully hes fit next pre-season and all season (I dont think thats happened yet in his career) and next year continues his impact into the latter stages of games
I have noticed that.
He could learn something from Buddy who tries till the end. Even when he is having a crap game, he still ends up with multiple goals.

Or it could be that his part time ruck work takes it out of him 🤷‍♂️

The Swans weren’t focused on percentage.

When we had done enough in the last they benched Blakey, Warner and Franklin at least for that period where the Roos got a few goals. Warner and Blakey returned for the last 3 minutes so likely rotation but seemed a bit of player preservation.

Think Warner got two possessions for the last so it was a bit cue in the rack to me.

He isn't a good pack mark nor does he crash the pack for smalls to crumb. Logan is a hit up forward which we don't need in our forward line. We looked most potent when he wasn't in the forward line today. Logan has also gone missing during games on multiple occasions.

Agree that is not Logan’s game yet to be as physical. He does provide a really solid target around the ground, although not so much inside 50.

I think Logan really does have an X factor and he is the best option as the third tall forward now and in the future.

Amartey is a good solid and physical player and has his own qualities, however he doesn’t have Logan’s smarts or ability to read the play. Traits that are crucial for finals.

Take your point though, just don’t think Amartey gets to many contests to take advantage of his abilities.

2012? 2005?

You could use that for anyone...I'm talking about the now. Right now we're in a premiership position & Amartey would be better suited in our side than Mcdonald right now. In the future Logan will be the better player but we need to pick guys who gives us the best shot at winning the comp right now. For me, with our current setup and role required for the 3rd tall that's Amartey.
ok
i disagree

2012? 2005?

You could use that for anyone...I'm talking about the now. Right now we're in a premiership position & Amartey would be better suited in our side than Mcdonald right now. In the future Logan will be the better player but we need to pick guys who gives us the best shot at winning the comp right now. For me, with our current setup and role required for the 3rd tall that's Amartey.

and no, you could not say that for any player ... mcdonald is a young key forward ... at the pointy end, where the football is meant to go, and he's at best the third tall option but really he's not even that because we have heeney as well as franklin and reid ...
and while we'd all love to see mcdonald "crashing packs" etc etc, it's likely to happen only under occasional circumstances at this stage of his career, playing with this team
so to me, seeing him chase and tackle, or get away those slick handballs, or pounce on a loose ball as he did for a goal the other day are the very signs i hope to see

I have been critical of Heeney at time for lacking consistency. He dropped a couple he should have taken yesterday, but had a good game.

He's a tough player to judge, because he goes in the midfield from time to time we expect him to get the ball more. He is probably having the perfect all round season and since the Essendon game, has strung 5 good games together.

He is 13th in the league for goals kicked and no one with more goals, has averaged more disposals or more tackles, in fact they aren't close in either.

The player with the most goals with more average tackles than Heeney is The Bont at 54th with 21 goals.

Last edited:
I have been critical of Heeney at time for lacking consistency. He dropped a couple he should have taken yesterday, but had a good game.

He's a tough player to judge, because he goes in the midfield from time to time we expect him to get the ball more. He is probably having the perfect all round season and since the Essendon game, has strung 5 good games together.

He is 13th in the league for goals kicked and no one with more goals, has averaged more disposals or more tackles, in fact they aren't close in either.

The player with the most goals with more average tackles than Heeney is The Bont at 54th with 21 tackles.

He’s definitely judged harshly and I think it’s because it’s hard to know what to compare him to.

He’s a one of a kind player and one of the most damaging players in the league when he’s on. Every other club would take him in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took a wander over to the Norf board and was not disappointed. COLA and the academy is still a topic of conversation. Someone needs to tell Vic clubs that COLA stopped at the end of 2016, and then we can start discussing NGAs.
Be more on their board today than they had at the game yesterday .
Had 2 kids about 10-12 who were absolutely feral , had to go to the bar to escape.

He’s definitely judged harshly and I think it’s because it’s hard to know what to compare him to.

He’s a one of a kind player and one of the most damaging players in the league when he’s on. Every other club would take him in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also, I haven't managed to get to a game this year, but those that have seen Heeney in the flesh this year say that a lot of his great work is done off the ball, and yet he still manages to pop up in front of goal to take delivery. Incredible work rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had 2 kids about 10-12 who were absolutely feral , had to go to the bar to escape.
I actually had some good-natured supporters near me, so that was better than the Carlton game.

The really sad and disappointing this for them was that there were hardly any of their supporters there when their 1996 team were driven around the ground and 6 players were given life memberships. Then their team ran through the banner to no applause and no team song.

Their 1996 team was stacked with good players (off-field misdemeanours notwithstanding) so it was not well done and they would probably have just got off the field and hit the bar without watching the game after that.

We were on level 2 (42) and there was an extremely lippy north supporter hanging over the top of level 3 directly above us. Banging on about Buddy going to Brisbane for the entire game. He copped a spray from a few of us including the True Bloods boys that were there.

Short and sweet for me this week.

• Poor last quarter, cue in the rack
  • Opportunity to really gain % was lost
  • 4 points was clearly the focus
  • Feels like Horse doesn't care where we play week 1, the "anywhere anytime" attitude

• Warner unbelievable
  • Heeney great
  • Content with Logans game
  • Love Errols left boot
  • Blakey was great
  • Mills proven again he's the best 2 way player in the game

Poor last quarter, cue in the rack
  • Feels like Horse doesn't care where we play week 1, the "anywhere anytime" attitu
I think packing away four of his stars in cotton wool towards the end shows Horse is definitely looking big picture.

Short and sweet for me this week.

• Poor last quarter, cue in the rack
  • Feels like Horse doesn't care where we play week 1, the "anywhere anytime" attitude

• Warner unbelievable
  • Heeney great
  • Content with Logans game
  • Love Errols left boot
  • Blakey was great
  • Mills proven again he's the best 2 way player in the game
Saints match will be a percentage booster, their season is likely to be over next round and will have little to play for against us.

In the end though, it doesn't matter if we don't win the next 2 rounds. We have to beat the Pies, no point in going hard for a couple goals. Better to rest your best and take the 4 points.

At worst we verse Brisbane in the Gabba, at best they verse us in Sydney. I don't think either will make too much of a difference, both teams will bring it

We were on level 2 (42) and there was an extremely lippy north supporter hanging over the top of level 3 directly above us. Banging on about Buddy going to Brisbane for the entire game. He copped a spray from a few of us including the True Bloods boys that were there.
I actually accosted Mads on the way to the game. I recognised him and we had a chat. I thought I was way out of their demographic but he said I wasn't, so I think he was being generous :)

surprised our red v is considered a clash v north
Too much white on the backs of both jumpers. North and Geelong would be the only teams we play in Red against in Vic

Unless they change to blue backs

What is a true Blood

no one knows right now ... only in hindsight after the last game will we know if percentage is relevant
my point is just that ... we don't know what is going to happen, it's all speculation
yes, it's nice to have the percentage after an 80-point win or whatever but i brought it up earlier in the context of this game just to point out (again) that people on here always find something to whinge about, even after a comprehensive, relatively comfortable win over a team we really struggled to get past earlier in the season
go back through last week and see how many posts mentioned this being (another) "danger game" or people being nervous or worried
so i'm happy just to get the win
snarling about percentage to decide if we finish second or third is a pretty minor problem to have compared to the problems we thought we had five weeks ago, after the loss to essendon
I certainly agree with your last comment however if Melbourne beat Brisbane in the last round we will most likely play Melbourne in a qualifying game at the MCG. That's obviously based on the assumption we win next week. But your earlier comment that "if we beat Collingwood, percentage is irrelevant" was a totally incorrect comment.
After being 59 points up halfway through the last quarter it was reasonable to think we win against North by 70 odd points. Those 6 goals we missed out on will most likely cost us that qualifying final being played at the SCG.
FWIW I am not one of those who continually finds fault and make far more positive comments than negative. We may still finish second if we eat both Collingwood and St.Kilda comfortably and/or Brisbane beat Melbourne.
It's just going to be more difficult now than it could have been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back