2nds Sydney Swans Ressies 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

from Lauren:

we started off so well. the top up dickerson had a goal in the first minute after some awesome work from the bounce and we just looked so much better for the first three quarters at least

mez was interesting, he did some weird things that weren't typical mez

nick played well, he just did a few things that showed that he had missed a few games

ill get back to u with more off 2 dinner

Copied and pasted from my report on RWO:

Brett Meredith: Found some ball, got free into dangerous space a couple of times, but didn't dominate. Not recallable on that performance, but not shocking.
Daniel Currie: Thought he was quite poor actually. He probably won the ruck battle overall, but not by much, and at this level you expect an AFL-listed player to really influence the game.
Patrick Veszpremi: Did very little that I saw. I hope he had a big first quarter, because he was missing for the rest of the game. While he seemed to work quite hard, he really lacked that trademark spark, self-assurance and x-factor. Just another player, and one that made a fair few mistakes too. Played up forward until the last quarter when he was switched into the midfield, and that brought him into the game a bit more.
Gary Rohan: Had an off day, as did many players, but tried his guts out to make up for it. Played all over the ground, but mostly between FF and the wing. His second, third, fourth efforts were fantastic, but things just didn't go his way; he'd read the play perfectly and sprint to chop off an opposition kick, but lose his feet in the final lunge to take the mark, ball spills out and they're off anyway, that sort of thing. If a place opens up with no obvious replacement, then Rohan could come in based on last week's form, but he hasn't forced the door down.
Sam Reid: I'm turning into a big fan of this guy. Played predominantly up forward, usually as a CHF, took some strong grabs and worked really hard. I really like him as a forward, and can see him holding down CHF in the not-too-distant future, but he could also find himself at CHB like his brother.
Also, I just want to emphasise how freakishly wide his shoulders are. He has a lot of room to hang a lot of muscle on that body; he will be a powerful, powerful man in a couple of years.
Byron Sumner: Alongside Reid, fast becoming the player I most want to get ready for senior action. Easily the best kick on our list. Sometimes choosing which option to take by foot lets him down, but that's the only time he misses targets. Otherwise, he's dishing out flat, centimetre-perfect bullets. He hit up a toppy (might have been 56?) on the lead with a pass that was so flat and fast it didn't get above 2 metres off the ground, and was travelling with far too much force for the toppy to handle. I swear the guy flinched as it smacked his hands and went flying. But on top of that, he's skinny but he's bloody strong, and when he fills out he'll be a force to be reckoned with. Also has a good leap on him which allowed him to compete in the air against taller opponents. Anyway, played in defence and set up innumerable forward thrusts from half back. Hit up LJ on the wing too many times to mention! Liked his game a lot.
Lewis Johnston: Worked very hard, but like Rohan things just weren't happening for him. Took a lot of marks about 75 out from goal, but was devoid of options further forward. Really, he should have been playing closer to goal, as he and Reid spent a lot of time in the same space. LJ at FF and Reid at CHF would have produced more goals, but I guess they just wanted to see LJ work hard. In any case, he took a lot of uncontested marks, but misread the flight of some contested marks a few times (come to think of it, everybody was doing that; unfamiliarity with the breeze up there maybe?), and just wasn't that effective, despite winning a fair bit of ball.
Dylan McNeil: It can be hard to tell how involved he was, because he's so predominantly inside, but from what I could see he looked to be typically strong in close, shovelled the ball out a lot, linked up in handball chains, that sort of thing. I tell you what, he has more in common with Kirky than being an unfashionable inside mid from Albury; he also can't kick it more than 40 metres! Still, he was effective, and was definitely one of our better players.
Campbell Heath: Spent time in defence and in the midfield. It can be hard to gauge how well Campbo plays at times because so often he has defensive jobs, and it's difficult to keep track of his opponent's influence when you don't know who he is, what he looks like, etc, but he didn't screw much up. Did give away a few frees however. It wasn't a bad game, but I'm sure he has played many better.
Chris McKaigue: Acquitted himself reasonably well in defence. A fair way off senior football, but at the same time, he looks comfortable, he's a good kick, has a good instinct for the game, and he's progressing along very nicely indeed.
Nick Smith: He was reasonably involved, did some good things, basically ticked all the boxes required for a return to the seniors next week. It took me a quarter to realise he was wearing 27 instead of 40. I have no idea why he was wearing that, but yeah. Expect him to make a return against the Doggies.
Matthew O'Dwyer: Was quite lively across half back, though not as involved as Sumner. Spent some time in the midfield as well. One of our better players, but he's not bashing the door down, and I can't figure out why; he's definitely good enough.
Nathan Gordon: Quite lively, again one of our better players. I'm still far from convinced he'll be anything more than a very good Canberra/solid VFL player, but he's certainly putting in the hard yards. Probably deserving of a senior list spot next year.
Taylor Gilchrist: Did some very good things, but just wasn't involved. Same as every other time I've watched him. He has a beautiful kick on him, and he's a very good decision maker, but he struggles to get involved big-time. Anyway, spent most of his time across half back.

Scholarship players:

Jack Lynch: Didn't seem as tall as I remember/was led to believe. In any case, he was reasonably involved. A level above the toppys, but below the listed players.
Mitch May: Did some good things, but lacks athleticism and intensity. I can't see us picking him up to be honest.

Toppys:

47. Sam Ash: From behind, looks like a fat u13s player. From the side or front, looks like a body-building hobbit. Very stocky and powerful, played with a lot of intensity, got involved, but lacked polish and smarts.
48. Harry Treloar: Didn't notice him.
50. Brendan Dess: Did some decent stuff. Was quite impressed actually.
51. Kieran Emery: Played in defence. If this guy was just a bit quicker and a bit more agile, he'd have huge potential, but he's just not mobile enough. I reckon he could play VFL quite easily though, and who knows? If he played at that level long enough he could figure out how to make the most of his strengths and minimise his weaknesses, and then try to do a JPod. Exactly the sort of player that could follow in the Pod's footsteps.
53. Daniel Dickerson: Quite reasonable.
54. Rhys Hartwig: Didn't notice him.
55. Jackson Maloney: Barely noticed him.
56. Zachary Sheather: Was quite good, played a bit up forward and found himself at the contest a few times. Reasonably involved.

Just want to make something clear, we did NOT lose because of the top-ups. Too many senior players farted around with the ball far too much, especially across half forward. The top ups just tended to bang it forward, and that's what was working.

We need the AFL to bring back the reserves comp as the curtain raiser at every game. This will hopefully speed up the developement of our kids and get them ready for playing on the big stage. Not bagging the Canberra comp but it's just not up to the standard of vfl, sanfl etc and it's hurts our development big time. I beleive if players like LJ, Vez, Currie etc would be playing seniors if this was the case.

There are a host of players in the side that played predominately in canberra.

Our "lack of development" in my opinion is very overrated.
No its not, as sources within the club would admit it takes twice as long playing in Canberra, than it would in say one of the state comps. Also it seems players are moved around too much and not allowed to settle in the one position and i know its about development, but some players on the verge of senior selection need to be settled in the one area, so if a player like Vez needs time in the midfield, leave him there.

No its not as sources within the club would admit it takes twice as long playing in Canberra, than it would in say one of the state comps. Also it seems players are moved around too much and not allowed to settle in the one position and i know its about development, but some players on the verge of senior selection need to be settled in the one area, so if a player like Vez needs time in the midfield, leave him there.

I didn't say development was faster or slower. I am saying if the player wants it, they will get it regardless of the competition they are played in.

I agree with you on position settlement.

Mick Malthouse was complaining the other day about the standard of football in the ressies comp that collingwood play in, saying the likes of Josh Fraser and a few others are suffering playing there because the gap in talent is massive, and thats the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need the AFL to bring back the reserves comp as the curtain raiser at every game. This will hopefully speed up the developement of our kids and get them ready for playing on the big stage. Not bagging the Canberra comp but it's just not up to the standard of vfl, sanfl etc and it's hurts our development big time. I beleive if players like LJ, Vez, Currie etc would be playing seniors if this was the case.

Are you bedford in disguise?
hahaha.

AFL Canberra Competition - Round 17
Sydney Swans Reserves v Ainslie
Saturday, August 21, 2:10pm, SCG

TEAM LIST:
10 Daniel CURRIE
13 Patrick VESZPREMI
20 Sam REID
22 Byron SUMNER,
23 Lewis JOHNSTON
28 Dylan MCNEIL
36 Chris MCKAIGUE
43 Matthew O'DWYER
44 Blake MALCOLM
45 Nathan GORDON
46 Taylor GILCHRIST
47 Blake GUTHRIE
48 Jackson POTTER
49 Jack LYNCH
50 Nathan KENNY
51 Kieran EMERY
52 David LINSEN
53 Daniel DICKERSON
54 Lynne ROEHRIG
55 Nick BILLS
56 Josh SHEPHERD
57 Mitch DONOVAN

Does anyone think the 2's can win this weekend against Ainslie? I think you would need to be the eternal optimist to think we coould win this week))

TEAM LIST:
10 Daniel CURRIE
13 Patrick VESZPREMI
20 Sam REID
22 Byron SUMNER,
23 Lewis JOHNSTON
28 Dylan MCNEIL
36 Chris MCKAIGUE
43 Matthew O'DWYER
44 Blake MALCOLM
45 Nathan GORDON
46 Taylor GILCHRIST
47 Blake GUTHRIE
48 Jackson POTTER
49 Jack LYNCH
50 Nathan KENNY
51 Kieran EMERY
52 David LINSEN
53 Daniel DICKERSON
54 Lynne ROEHRIG
55 Nick BILLS
56 Josh SHEPHERD
57 Mitch DONOVAN

Does anyone think the 2's can win this weekend against Ainslie? I think you would need to be the eternal optimist to think we coould win this week))

TEAM LIST:
10 Daniel CURRIE
13 Patrick VESZPREMI
20 Sam REID
22 Byron SUMNER,
23 Lewis JOHNSTON
28 Dylan MCNEIL
36 Chris MCKAIGUE
43 Matthew O'DWYER
44 Blake MALCOLM
45 Nathan GORDON
46 Taylor GILCHRIST
47 Blake GUTHRIE
48 Jackson POTTER
49 Jack LYNCH
50 Nathan KENNY
51 Kieran EMERY
52 David LINSEN
53 Daniel DICKERSON
54 Lynne ROEHRIG
55 Nick BILLS
56 Josh SHEPHERD
57 Mitch DONOVAN

Not a chance looking at that list. Damn. How does that effect our position?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back