Game Day Sydney Swans vs Collingwood Sat 1:45pm SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Stephens knows what he has to work on and is fine with where he is at ans what he has to do to make the team.

If we lose him over this I will be far from happy especially when Blakey has been a mile worse this season.

Blakey puts his arse on the line, throws his body around, crashes packs, has breakaway speed and actually shows desperation. There's no comparison to Stephens what so ever as of yet. Blakey only cops it because his composure and final decision isn't the best. But I'll take all of his other attributes over Stephens any day.

What is this a participation award or something? Stephens deserves as many chances, and frankly I'm backing him to come good before the other one. I am not playing someone on effort alone. If you can't execute skills at the end you are useless.

What is this a participation award or something? Stephens deserves as many chances, and frankly I'm backing him to come good before the other one. I am not playing someone on effort alone. If you can't execute skills at the end you are useless.
I don't get this comparison of Blakey and Stephens. Stephens I think needs time to develop. Blakey is physically developed. Stephens will come along soon. Don't be impatient.

I don't get this comparison of Blakey and Stephens. Stephens I think needs time to develop. Blakey is physically developed. Stephens will come along soon. Don't be impatient.

It isn't being impatient it's having the same standards. That is my issue with it. I don't have an issue to a degree of Stephens not playing, I do have an issue of playing Blakey who has been awful this season. I'm sorry but I'll call a spade a spade, he's been terrible.

Our forward line has been more unpredictable & dangerous without Buddy.

Here’s hoping the mentality this week is “look for Heeney, Paps, Hayward .... don’t just feel obliged to look for Buddy”.

I actually think Mihocek is one of the competition's most underrated players. Good leap, good hands and seems to be good at finding space. Every time I watch the pies he seems to be kicking goals.

Like the look of Noble too. He's slippery and has a way of finding time/space.

One problem for Collingwood atm seems to be that their top level players are below their best... Sidebottom, Grundy, definitely de Goey who scored some cheapies last week. Pendles still decent but past his prime.

And their backline is decimated. They look so undermanned back there I don't really think we have many excuses today. Especially if Heeney is fit. Bud will take their best defender and the cupboard's pretty bare already.

Swans look pretty good on paper.

Heeney's a worry though. Is it just me or do they seem to be rolling the dice with injured players this year?

I'm happy with Blakey. He's got pace and he's got the skills to pay the bills - just not quite gelling atm. i'm backing him to pull it together, hopefully today.

I'm also a fan of Hewett, but put him in the midfield ffs. Maybe he can shutdown Pendles?

So glad we've got Hickey. Reckon he can beat Grundy today and we haven't had a ruck beat him in yonks.

Big day for Buddy. All this talk about how long he has left is new. Great players answer their critics but plenty of great players are watching from the stands at 34. Who really knows how many more games he's got in him. Glad to watch him today.

Finally, and it really just has to be said:

F@*% Eddie McGuire.
That's all the incentive they need.

Swans by 44

Blakey puts his arse on the line, throws his body around, crashes packs, has breakaway speed and actually shows desperation. There's no comparison to Stephens what so ever as of yet. Blakey only cops it because his composure and final decision isn't the best. But I'll take all of his other attributes over Stephens any day.

i'm glad someone else sees the energy blakey plays with, he cops far too much flak on this board because he's not getting 30 touches a game ... i'm no critic of stephens but i really rate blakey
as for the barely coherent poster who says blakey 'can't get a kick' ... it's just not worth responding to such clearly blinkered ignorance

Based on the standards here... all Blakey has to do is show up, show some effort and she will be right mate. For Stephens, people pretty much expect him to be Gary Ablett Jnr in the 1-2 games he keeps getting every now and then to keep getting a spot in the side. gee whiz

It isn't being impatient it's having the same standards. That is my issue with it. I don't have an issue to a degree of Stephens not playing, I do have an issue of playing Blakey who has been awful this season. I'm sorry but I'll call a spade a spade, he's been terrible.

good grief! how has blakey been 'awful'? that's ridiculous ... he hasn't made the blatant blunders (that directly cost goals), a la lloyd, parker, et al, he goes in hard every contest and he's far better with his hands than he gets credit for ... he was looking like one of our best that first quarter before his injury a couple of weeks ago, including a useful stint pinch-hitting in the ruck ... as zyzzbruh says, and as i've said before, he lacks composure and is still working it out but 'awful', 'terrible'? ... no

Feels like a Buddy four goaler
If fit he'll kick 6.
If like last week, goalless

Breakout game for Blakey?

Further breakout dominance from Warner IMO. Excited to watch him go hard at contests & holding his feet while breaking away.
Absolute gun in the making.

So when did Stephens turn into Sam Walsh? Give it a rest, he’s not that good...yet. He is only 20. Blakey had to play for structure, Stephens plays mid only. Blakey can play fwd, ruck, wing, inside
We are not asking for the world for Stephens... understandable that he has to work for it. But whats the point of playing him for 1 game if you are not going to give him a consistent block of games to get a feel for it first? If you select a youngster, play him for 3-4 games then make the call. Blakey is allowed to play through his mistakes which is part of development... but people are saying what about Stephens? That crosses the line for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As surprising as this may sound to you, I think the coaches have a little more of an idea than any of us.

God I wish we could dig up that clip from draft night when Beatson & Dalrymple high fives each other when we got him.
Why can't we? Surely it's on youtube? I'll look...

Edit: Well that's a buggar... I can't find it anywhere... I guess Fox have the rights :(

Last edited:
Why can't we? Surely it's on youtube? I'll look...

Edit: Well that's a buggar... I can't find it anywhere... I guess Fox have the rights :(

This might sound kinda weird, but I see that Warner's family (particularly his mum) is very active on FB, and they seem to have dove head-first into the club's culture. Now I'm totally generalising here, and I've already put my foot in my mouth by doing that once already this week, but she seems like the type who would keep everything about her son, including a clip of him getting drafted. Someone take the fall and message her!

Ps. I just noticed Warner & I have 147 mutual friends on Facebook. That pretty much makes me famous so I probably won't hang around on here with you commoners much longer.

i'm glad someone else sees the energy blakey plays with, he cops far too much flak on this board because he's not getting 30 touches a game ... i'm no critic of stephens but i really rate blakey
as for the barely coherent poster who says blakey 'can't get a kick' ... it's just not worth responding to such clearly blinkered ignorance
The biggest problem Blakey has is that Reid is playing well. This board must have a whipping boy !!!

This might sound kinda weird, but I see that Warner's family (particularly his mum) is very active on FB, and they seem to have dove head-first into the club's culture. Now I'm totally generalising here, and I've already put my foot in my mouth by doing that once already this week, but she seems like the type who would keep everything about her son, including a clip of him getting drafted. Someone take the fall and message her!

Ps. I just noticed Warner & I have 147 mutual friends on Facebook. That pretty much makes me famous so I probably won't hang around on here with you commoners much longer.
C88 - you have one job.
Get the rest of the family onto the club roster.

As surprising as this may sound to you, I think the coaches have a little more of an idea than any of us.

Wait! You’re not actually suggesting that the people that know their diets, how their bodies are travelling, see them everyday at training and know what they have been told to do on the football field have more idea that these randoms on BigFooty?

You’re crazy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back