Sydney Swans will be Australia's biggest sporting club

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking they could both benefit from a decline in the NRL which appears pretty likely. In participation, as long as the kids are playing soccer instead of NRL, I assume the AFL would be pleased (even more so if all the kids switched to AFL).

A-League does the work in dragging the kids away from participating in NRL and the AFL reaps some of the benefits.

Take out the direct competition first. That was my line of thinking.

Two teams in a city the same size as Melbourne which carries 9 teams, I'm sure Sydney could out-grow Collingwood, plenty more scope. Some of that growth will be gobbled up by GWS, no doubt.

Ah again this supposed link between junior participation & bums on seats some time in the future ... nonsense.

Sydney will be Australia's biggest sporting club. Not in my lifetime, not in my kids lifetime and I would dare say not in their kids lifetime either.
I knew Pridham was a bit simple but didn't know he was delusional.
Actually, yes I did know he was delusional, I just thought he may refrain from putting it out there for all to see.

So you are born in 2004 and like a typical Collingwood supporter you impregnate your little sister in 2016, that kid also impregnates another girl in 2030 and that kid has another kid in 2043.

We also need to take into account the average lifespan of a Collingwood supporter who as we know have bad teeth which leads to them having heart attacks at a young age. So what you are saying is that by 2060 the Swans will definitely be the biggest club in the AFL.

Yeah probably, though West Coast have the advantage of a much "cleaner" stadium where they don't have to compete with the MCC and the AFL at their home ground. They also made the GF compared to Collingwood finishing 12th in 2015. I think you could certainly still make a case for Collingwood particularly if you start including "intangibles" though you are very much in the land of the subjective.

This applies to the likes of Collingwood and West Coast as well but I suspect that the Broncos would be have far larger revenues if they got to sell their own TV rights, or if rights revenue was distributed at least partly based on viewers like it is in european soccer leagues. (I'm not endorsing this though, I am for retaining a "progressive" distribution of TV revenues)

Effectively the influence of TV is at play when comparing the Pies & Eagles - don't have the numbers to hand but I understand most Eagles games are FTA into WA, not so the Pies. Measuring the effect is subjective too.

Three consecutive posts by GWS supporters (outside the GWS board) must be a mathematical phenomenon!! What are the chances??
I get it, the concept of teamwork is foreign to you

Last edited:
Three consecutive posts by GWS supporters (outside the GWS board) must be a mathematical phenomenon!! What are the chances??
Just like GWS winning lots of games - it was only a matter of time. This place will be crawling with us soon enough. :thumbsu:

Thread about club x

Started by poster of rival club on main board

First few posts are all posters from rival club posters

Takes until 27th post for poster of club x to reply. None since

Never change Bigfooty. Never change
What are you saying... we've colluded to troll our cross-town rival en masse?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're one bottom 10 season away from sub 20k crowds and asking for hand-outs.

They're just lucky that they are extremely good at turning people who take a passing interest in them into attendees and members because nobody watches them on TV in Sydney still.

Myth. We came 12th in 2009 (5th last). And the next year we averaged 31k. In fact our average attendance actually went up in 2010.

The myth that our supporters are fair weather fans has been busted as far back as as when Eade was our coach.

Kudos!
First valid use of en masse referring to us on BF ever. This is a proud day.
f8d80de5e5389abc493167d5b055b683.gif

Swans could easily be the biggest club if the good times keep rolling on field for another decade.

the best-run/most consistent club of the last 20 years, but the test will be their support when not playing finals for e.g. 5 years. The likes of the Pies are fire-proofed against this.

So it all comes back to taking your Luke Parkers at pick 30-odd, and your Dan Hanneberys at pick 40-odd. Keep making decisions like that and the rest falls into place naturally.

Swans could easily be the biggest club if the good times keep rolling on field for another decade.

the best-run/most consistent club of the last 20 years, but the test will be their support when not playing finals for e.g. 5 years. The likes of the Pies are fire-proofed against this.

So it all comes back to taking your Luke Parkers at pick 30-odd, and your Dan Hanneberys at pick 40-odd. Keep making decisions like that and the rest falls into place naturally.
Hit the nail on the head

Both of the WA teams are massively constrained by the size of the stadium. We get to see the games free to air because they are sold out. I've been trying to get an extra seat for 3 years and it's impossible.
I would think that the Eagles will sell the 60k out from the first season. And we are not talking about those 3 day memberships or the ones the pet cat gets but 55-58k bums on seats.
Much as it pains me to say it they are a genuine powerhouse. Collingwood may or may not be the biggest club in the afl but I would think the eagles will pinch that long before the swans

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sydney will be Australia's biggest sporting club. Not in my lifetime, not in my kids lifetime and I would dare say not in their kids lifetime either.
I knew Pridham was a bit simple but didn't know he was delusional.
Actually, yes I did know he was delusional, I just thought he may refrain from putting it out there for all to see.
You need to do a little research on Pridham!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back