Sydney's record in grand finals needs scrutinising

Remove this Banner Ad

Havoc

Senior List
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Sydney's/South Melbourne's record in grand finals is pretty poor to say the least..

As South Melbourne... they won 3 grand finals while losing 8.

As Sydney... they've won 2 grand finals while losing 5.

Only Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton have lost as many or more grand finals.. and these are the three most successful clubs in V/AFL history when it comes to winning premierships.

Why haven't the Swans come under media scrutiny for their record in grand finals??

Sydney's/South Melbourne's record in grand finals is pretty poor to say the least..

Only Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton have lost as many or more grand finals.. and these are the three most successful clubs in V/AFL history when it comes to winning premierships.

Why haven't the Swans come under media scrutiny for their record in grand finals??
interesting question to bring up....

I've always wondered why the media haven't been on Richmond's case for only winning 3 premierships in the last 42 years, where is the outrage? The analysis? David King, are you there?

But to be honest.... I not going to look up South Melbournes grand final history. That would mean talking about grand finals back in 1933-36 and 1945.

Sydney era is more recent.

1996: Lost to North Melbourne. Swans in 1996 won their 1st finals since Ironically ther last grand final they made, which was 1945. North had finals experience and lost 2 prelim finals in 1994 and 1995.

2005: Beat the eagles by 4 points. Dour Low Scoring game. Had plenty of finals experience compared to 1996. Michael O Loughlin was the only swan left from 1996. Swans prior to 2005 made finals in 1996-99, 2001 and 2003-4. Jason Ball was the only player with premiership experience, Ironic from west coasts 1994 side.

2006: Swans lost by a point. This was more about Eagles being more motivated to win than Swans losing to be fair.

2012: Swans won 14.7.91 to hawks 11.15.81. Hawks Sprayed their key shots, swans didnt.

2014: Hawks wanted revenge. It was an Absolute demoltion like todays Cats vs Swans grand final.

2016: Swans lost 10.7.67 to dogs 13.11.89. Dogs kicked 7.1.43 at half time to swans 7.3.45. Then the dogs kicked 2.6.18 to swans 1.2.8. Dogs kicked 3.4.22 to swans 2.2.14. Swans complained about the umpires.

2022: Cats demolished the swans 20.13.133 to swans 8.4.52. Swans kicked 4.3.27 at 3 quarter time. then kicked 4.1 in the final quarter.

It seems only mentally soft sides know for losing final such as Port Power, St Kilda, Collingwood and Sydney lose grand finals to Geelong
Because Richmond are smart....

Richmond won those 3 flags in 2017, 2019 and 2020 by killing off the cats chances before they make the grand final.

It’s a fair question:

2014: Swans were favourites, but Hawks were about to establish a dynasty. Regardless, should not have gotten beaten by that much. Was a choke.

2016: say no more.

2022: Geelong were a better team, but to lose by 80 points is a choke. Complete capitulation.

That said, you can also make excuses for each, dynasty, Dogs crazy momentum/umpires, this year stacked with young kids “over-awed”.

Is that good enough? Probably not. Excuses are just excuses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think Sydney are similar to Geelong. Constantly making finals, battling it out, typically doing better than people think they will. They probably play a brand that is better suited to finals which is why they have made a few grand Finals as opposed to Geelong who more often than bombed (until now obviously) but I think the comparison is still just. Much like Geelong did this year, eventually things will click and they will rampage their way through, thye are still quite a young side.

Ummm, wow.

So they're 3-8 and 2-5, overall 5-13

Here's a figure for you op if you want to 'scrutinize' a club

15-2-44. Pretty sure you'll work it out.

Not even sure how this is a thread.

They've won 2 out of 7 in the AFL era. We've won 4 from 7. Still amazed They've played as many gfs. But yeah, 3 in a row now. One more it'll be like Geelong 89-95 4 in a row.

How many Premierships have you seen Mate? More than I have with Freo I assume?

2-*2-9 in my lifetime, and I won't count the year I was born (which of course is another loss)

*77,77,79,80,81,90,02,03,*10,10,11,18

I'm sure you'd know, losing GF's is more painful than winning the spoon (I know both), now amplify that pain x9.

Does the term forever tease but rarely please mean anything to you?

WARNING: Scrutinizing Swans GFs will cause anxiety and gloomy thoughts. They are still a young team, learning how to lose GFs.

All the media are acting as the Geelong cheersquad.. ignoring the fact Sydney rolled over and turned up their toes yet again on the big stage!!!
Remembering there were 16 other sides that failed to reach the GF. Happens every year? No need for mental toughness at those losers ?
Your mob, how do they stack up, pray tell.

2-*2-9 in my lifetime, and I won't count the year I was born (which of course is another loss)

*77,77,79,80,81,90,02,03,*10,10,11,18

I'm sure you'd know, losing GF's is more painful than winning the spoon (I know both), now amplify that pain x9.

Does the term forever tease but rarely please mean anything to you?
Follow a team that has won zero Premierships and then Come back to me.

At least you can watch the 1990 and 2010 grand final moments on DVD or YouTube.

Rarely please you is better than never please you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back