Autopsy Tale of two halves vs. Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway, at one point during the match I was making a rare disparaging (yet insightful and accurate) remark against umpire #31 and his near-sighted mates when I casually looked around and saw the two ladies who were sitting behind me. They were feeling the same frustrations as the rest of us I'm sure, but they held their composure better than the majority of the team or us for that matter.

I asked if @Kangalicious had anything to say to you mob and she was happy to say hi and hang in there folks.
1711181592535.png

PS: She certainly would not have said anything negative about the umpiring.

Hottest we've been confidence-wise in a long time. At one stage in the 2nd quarter we were flying and everything we touched turned to gold, can't wait to see more of that.

Would've been interesting if we could've just got two more ahead when we had the ascendancy, we may have ended up hanging on.

For as much promise as we've shown that first win is going to be tough to come by. There's a lot of decent, capable sides going around.

Only saw the second half… based on that, there was absolutely no midfield/half forward/wing pressure. Soft performanc, based on the second half
Watch the first half when you can. It’ll be worth it for the balance.

Looked like in the 1st half we were playing 1 on 1 all over the ground rather than a zone and were applying great pressure all over the ground. Not sure how they found so much space in the 3rd quarter. Look forward ro hearing Rick18's breakdown of why they were able to move the ball so easily in the 3rd

That first 50 minutes of footy was the best we’ve played in 5 yrs and it was super slick - a taste for the future. We kick those 3 shots late in the second and it’s game over.
They couldn’t go with us and changed their game plan to chip it around , to take the air the air out of ball.
Defence is a big issue and it’s more a team defence issue - missed tackles was a major factor.

Jackson was the difference - X tried his best but was outclassed.

Umpires with their 50/50 calls that just don’t need to be called

People can blame our undermanned defence all day but the midfield was the game in the end.
Case in point:
Contested possessions in the 1st half we won by +19.
In the second half the Dockers won it by +27.
That’s literally the whole difference. As soon as our midfield can be on top longer and/or at least break even more rather than crumble like we did today, we will be a new look side!

Watch the first half when you can. It’ll be worth it for the balance.
What happened? Is it development of fluid game plans? Is it simply borderline soft players?

I saw a few bits n pieces whilst I was working. Ive always said, we need to capitalise on goal opportunities. Set shots inside 30 metres simply must ho in.

Larkey, Jy as senior leadership players simply need to convert simple goals. Bread and butter stuff. Jy needs to stop handballing at feet.

There is no ******* chance in hell Lazarro deserves a senior spot over Phillips.

Corr cannot continue to give away dumb arse free kicks inside 50.

Talking about how I feel without looking at the stats, I thought today was putrid. My son is yet to see North win a game and up to ten minutes into the second quarter the relief was palpable. It was finally going to happen.

I filmed those three behinds on my phone thinking 'yes, today is the day!'. Then filmed some more behinds and then put the phone down thinking it was all my fault. A few more behinds later I realised it was probably safe to pull it back out again. There I was, ready for that one magic kick, anything two meters from the goal line looked a very good chance.

We need a fullback. Today is just a glimpse of what awaits us. 'Hey wow look at us, so much talent'. We will then concede ten goals in twelve minutes and talk with furrowed brows about the future. And the blood baths, I'm guessing two, maybe three 15+ goal losses.

The future is bright but we're getting there on one leg.

What happened? Is it development of fluid game plans? Is it simply borderline soft players?

I saw a few bits n pieces whilst I was working. Ive always said, we need to capitalise on goal opportunities. Set shots inside 30 metres simply must ho in.

Larkey, Jy as senior leadership players simply need to convert simple goals. Bread and butter stuff. Jy needs to stop handballing at feet.

There is no ******* chance in hell Lazarro deserves a senior spot over Phillips.

Corr cannot continue to give away dumb arse free kicks inside 50.

We went at a frenetic pace and the ball movement was ultra aggressive. 45s inside often. Attacking the corridor. We probably didn’t have enough reward for effort.

They adjusted and we tired and we couldn’t go how we were. Or with them.

They got on top and it took us a quarter to even come to terms with it.

By then the game was over.

Defence looked pretty solid when it was a whole team movement. We either went away from what we were doing or simply couldn’t maintain it at the level we had. Then it started to break down. Especially when they put pace on the ball.

When we were good we were brilliant, when we were bad we were horrid.

Recon we were just plain out smarted after half time.

They switched from trying to match our run& gun game style, to chip chip possession game. So they had to do was control the ball up to half forward and kick it long, as their tall forwards were always going to beat our tall backs.

Unfortunately we didn’t have a counter, and instead doubled down which resulted in turnovers and easy goals at the other end.

We had no plan B today and were exposed.

Looked like in the 1st half we were playing 1 on 1 all over the ground rather than a zone and were applying great pressure all over the ground. Not sure how they found so much space in the 3rd quarter. Look forward ro hearing Rick18's breakdown of why they were able to move the ball so easily in the 3rd
Definitely ran out of legs. It caused a few of those howlers that ended up with Freo goals. Another week with patches of footy that tease.

I could care less about form or reputation. I want to beat the scumbags were playing on good Friday!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looked like a hammy and then maybe it was cramping. I think he was pissed off at himself for the turnover.
Maybe I’m being optimistic.
He went down stretching his calf after a contest, about 5min prior to coming off for treatment. Unless something else happened I’d imagine it was just a calf cramp 👍🏻

What happened with the Luke Jackson miss, the goal from the top of the square?
I watched without the sound on and saw all the replays but still couldn't work it out...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well I left the game, headed for a kebab, had an hour drive home and went for a walk. What did I see today?

After Duursma then Larkey miss in the latter 2nd quarter they took over , not because of those misses but sheesh we have to take our opportunities. Lead into the 40's and who knows how that impacts them?

Other thoughts , not much. My son is 8 so he only knows rubbish, he couldnt believe it was us 10 mins into the 2nd quarter. We had a chat about seeing more and more of that as time goes on but be patient. 8 year olds of course have legendary patience. ;)

What else?

CCJ - freaking giant barely mobile garden gnome.
Lazarro - they used let corporate types do full training with VFL clubs to raise a few bucks, some of them were pretty fit and "trained the house down", no one ever seriously considered giving them a game though - same should apply here. How he gets a game ahead of Philips, dunno..
Duursma, if only we could fast forward time somehow and get 40 or more games into him, good one there. Thought he covered a fair bit of ground for a 2nd gamer, was the outlet kick a few times.
Sheezel, time to pull the trigger and get him up the ground further. We get scored against every time seemingly the other team go in, so may as well use him offensively. Many will say but attack starts at half back. He ends up further back in many cases. Useless there.

Wardlaw - I have a man crush, you will simply be a super star adored by the masses.

Lastly whilst I watch VFL a bit and never miss games live, dunno much about the u18's etc, who looks like being a chance at number 1 or 2? We look a heavy chance to feature there.

In two years when we have Sanders on the list could be real interesting.

Thanks for the vent

The only factual truth I care about is the W/L column. As of now, it doesn't look like improving significantly
At this point last season, we were 2-0.

Factually, we have gone backwards believe it or not

The boys have 20 or so games to arrest the shitness and show us they are better.

Haven't watched the game as was at my son's cricket GF (they won). Was watching the scores and when we got 32 points up I turned to my friends there and said if we don't get past 40 we will lose. 32 points is the jinx lead for us - its when we stop. Sadly, I was spot on.

At this point last season, we were 2-0.

Factually, we have gone backwards believe it or not

The boys have 20 or so games to arrest the shitness and show us they are better.

To be fair to the more optimistically inclined, we've had really good patches in both games, but the biggest sign of progress for this team at the moment would be shaking off those extended periods of shitness. Arresting momentum and saying 'no, * you, we're gonna fight tooth and nail and make this hell for you.' The head dropping and half-hearted efforts are so embedded in our DNA, I don't see an easy solution

Remove this Banner Ad

Back