TheBuzz

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2007
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mullett a great catch
By Rob Burton Exclusive to nmfc.com.au 02:22PM February 16,13

Despite being one of the club’s most consistent performers at VFL level over the past two years, a regular senior spot has so far eluded Aaron Mullett - but fellow defender Scott Thompson is confident his luck is about to change.

“He’ll be stepping up and playing some quality senior games down back,” Thompson told NMFC.com.au.

“He’s just maturing, getting a lot stronger and really fitting in and working well off the back-line.”

Thompson says the 20-year old has been one of the standouts during North Melbourne's pre-season campaign.

“I’ve talked with a few of the defenders and they really see that he can find a spot in the team and in the defence, especially if a few of the other guys go up into the midfield.

“His one-on-one ability to get the footy is a great asset.”

Assistant coach Shane Watson echoed the sentiments of Thompson.

“He’s going very well. There’s obviously a role for him as a small defender back there.”

Mullett’s precision foot skills could make him a dangerous asset across half-back, particularly if Shaun Atley pushes further up the field for more midfield experience.

“There’s certainly a spot for a guy who’s a really nice left-foot kick,” Watson added.

“He’s got the speed and the kicking to play down there, it’s just a matter of whether he can take that position.

“We’ve been working on his defending, because he’s naturally an offensive sort of player, but if he can get that balance between defending first, then getting the footy and running and attacking he’ll offer something different in defence.”

On Tuesday, Mullett passed his first test for 2013 during the Kangaroos' intraclub match.

“There was a little patch there he played on Lindsay Thomas, and he did well in a few one-on-one contents against Lindsay who’s pretty good in those situations.”

Now the number 41 will be waiting anxiously to hear if his name is read out for the club’s opening round NAB Cup fixtures next Friday.

Refer my HBF thread with At's moving to where he needs to be to maximise impact (mid)

Best 22 as of round 1 for mine, let the others earn their spot like he has plus we need his kicking asap.

Someone has to be dropped for him to go in.......has speed, has a great kick who makes way??

Campbell (already gone)/Anthony. JMac plays further afield (or plays on a bigger,fwd), Atley likewise, Mullett plays deeper - Anthony in strife.

Mullett is best 22 from what ive seen regardless how it plays out.

Campbell (already gone)/Anthony. JMac plays further afield (or plays on a bigger,fwd), Atley likewise, Mullett plays deeper - Anthony in strife.

Anthony (in strife) may be a yes call for me. I see him in 2013 being best 25 category, we need to bring forward a Mullett , a Mckenzie into the side to keep the freshness, the development going within the club.
I like Anthony, Im not a knocker on him but if you have in the wings a player naturally getting bigger, better, stronger then there comes a time for him meet the challengers head on and improve himself on his weaknesses or be in the bracket of being a fringe player.

mullett wld take mcmahon spot dont u think
as this is not remotely likely
wot are you saying?
do you want them both in the back 6

Refer my HBF thread with At's moving to where he needs to be to maximise impact (mid)

Best 22 as of round 1 for mine, let the others earn their spot like he has plus we need his kicking asap.

Good article and its good to see them talking him up, there is a position for him, but currently I see that starting on the bench or as sub.

I still don't understand why would you move Atley from the position that he has cemented. He Won't offer half as much off a wing compared to the half back flank. You maximise his impact when he can burst away and sent up play like he did so well last year.

Why is anthony in Strife he is one of the best link-up players on our side. If mullet could find the footy like Anthony could then (maybe) he would take his place...but Mullett doesn't find the footy like him.

McMillan played in the midfield/wing for the majority of last season so what exactly do you mean by playing further afield?

Someone has to be dropped for him to go in.......has speed, has a great kick who makes way??

Mullett isn't that quick...He would probably be slower than Anthony or McMillan. I've never seen him show this speed that many people talk about.

The reason why he isn't in the side is because his defensive side is lacking.

We
Why would you move Atley from the position that he has cemented. He Won't offer half as much off a wing compared to the half back flank. You maximise his impact when he can burst away and sent up play like he did so well last year.

Teams will not be as unprepared for him this year. He may need to move around either way. I also think he can be even better in the guts.

We

Teams will not be as unprepared for him this year. He may need to move around either way. I also think he can be even better in the guts.

Everyone knew by round 5 how important he was to our counter-attack. When you are as quick as Atley it doesn't take much to shake off a forward tagger. I'd prefer to keep him down back and continue to let him do the job on the best small forwards, at this stage we dont have anyone who can stop small forwards like he can. Let him develop his body a bit more and release him next year. He is still only 20.

Mullett isn't that quick...He would probably be slower than Anthony or McMillan. I've never seen him show this speed that many people talk about.
And if he finds it tell him we want some too
The reason why he isn't in the side is because his defensive side is lacking.

Hear hear
not best 22 imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Jmac gets a game, which is highly likely, I fail to see how he is anything but wonderful depth. Good luck to the kid but his kicking is overblown a touch. It's really a bit hit and miss.

Kennedy & McKenzie are the ones... We need some above average disposers of the ball off hb so we can quit this handball nonsense.

Atley and Wright to the wings.

Assuming Jmac gets a game, which is highly likely, I fail to see how he is anything but wonderful depth. Good luck to the kid but his kicking is overblown a touch. It's really a bit hit and miss.

Kennedy & McKenzie are the ones... We need some above average disposers of the ball off hb so we can quit this handball nonsense.

Atley and Wright to the wings.

Kennedy had a better season in the VFL than Mullett did last year. I'd have him in as a quick half back before Mullett.

you say we need above average disposers across halfback yet you want to move wright and atley to the wings? Wright and Atley are excellent disposers. Keep them at half back.

Lol wut? He's clearly faster than JMac and especially LA.

This is the only real footage I can find but everyone knows how fast and athletic Buddy is for his size, look how fast Fishy closes him down.

Lol wut? He's clearly faster than JMac and especially LA.

This is the only real footage I can find but everyone knows how fast and athletic Buddy is for his size, look how fast Fishy closes him down.

I'll cop that.

However...he needs to show that sort of pace more often. In the two games I watched him play for Nth Ballarat last year he didn't show anything close to that sort of speed.

I just dont think he is quite there yet. I see all these attributes, but something nags that he isn't ready. At the moment i think he is more suited to an impact role, such as the sub if anything.
No doubt on his ability at all, and i know it is contrary to most on this board, but i just dont see where he fits in as best 22 week in week out right now.

Why is anthony in Strife he is one of the best link-up players on our side. If mullet could find the footy like Anthony could then (maybe) he would take his place...but Mullett doesn't find the footy like him.

McMillan played in the midfield/wing for the majority of last season so what exactly do you mean by playing further afield?
Agree with Anthony being a good link up player but watch the last Gws game. Thought mullet was composed and Anthony jittery playing against boys. Thought mullet may have surpassed him that day. Anyways his development provides further depth and another success story for us from the rookie draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back