List Mgmt. The 2017 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals Thread (cont. in Part II)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see Fyfe moving, it suits supporters and the media that he doesn't sign a new contract because it fills column inches and gives people like us something to dream about.

Why would Fyfe leave Freo and WA?

It won't be for more money because Freo will match any offer so that's put to bed straight away.

It could only be for flag success and/or to be reunited with Brett Kirk, so that narrows possible destinations to a very small number of clubs.

The two clubs constantly mentioned in rumours are Hawthorn and St.Kilda but are they really flag threats?

Hawks are possibly in the flag window closing stage with half of their excellent backline very close to retiring and I don't see the quality on their list to cover those retirements. Also have no high draft picks this year, Hawks won't be any better in 2018 when Fyfe is a FA than they are this year.

St.Kilda has their rebuild and list talked up but they didn't make the 8 this year even with a charmed lack of injuries. Some of their most important players are close to finishing so not sure they are locks to contend.

So that leaves the two Sydney teams. For flag success, the juggernaught GWS who could win multiple flags with their overly generous concessions but we all know they have real cap problems with a number of highly promising high draft picks likely to want better contracts very soon.

Finally us! We are genuine contenders, we have Brett Kirk, Fitpatrick has gone so won't be penalised, we will offload a number of fringe players (as we did to fund Buddy & Tippo) to find the $ for Fyfe to come on over! I can see it happening but not until Fyfe is an Unrestricted FA! Oh bless you footy gods :)

Then I wake up and go back to my original thoughts, Fyfe is going nowhere.

Gary Rohan doesn't seem like such a bad prospect now (though he re-signed long-term so it's a void point.)

I'm just really really tired of the injuries. Same as Reid. Same as Tippett. It's the same story over and over with those three - they'll be playing well, they'll get an injury, they'll take waay longer than expected to come back from said injury, and then take half a season to find their top form again. We've just had three blokes basically sitting on our list (and taking spots in our best 22) just waiting to get injured. It's not their fault and I feel really awful for these blokes who continuously get injured and can't string a decent stretch of games together, but it's just really frustrating me now because Tippett's almost past his prime, Rohan is now getting injuries unrelated to his broken leg, and Reid just missed an entire season. We're lucky we don't reaaally need them because we have good depth, but I think the fact we don't need them as badly as other clubs would need them makes our persistence with them that much more frustrating.

Alright, rant over. I'm going to go drink some cement.

Sam Reid should be on that list.

Reid's not in the same bracket. Think too much is made of Reid's contract and if/when he resigns with the Swans I can't see him commanding the same figures.

If he fizzles this year then yep he'd likely be trade bait, but if he has a decent year then he'll hopefully resign on a reasonable wage.

Reid's not in the same bracket. Think too much is made of Reid's contract and if/when he resigns with the Swans I can't see him commanding the same figures.

If he fizzles this year then yep he'd likely be trade bait, but if he has a decent year then he'll hopefully resign on a reasonable wage.

If he has a somewhat decent year we can trade him to Freo,

They need another forward to help out McCarthy,

Sinclair + Reid for Fyfe

If he has a somewhat decent year we can trade him to Freo,

They need another forward to help out McCarthy,

Sinclair + Reid for Fyfe
Not sure if serious. Nat fyfes headband is worth more than Sinclair

the idea that throwing more mediocre players at a trade makes it more attractive is very weird, especially in a competition with only so many spots on a list, where mediocre players often aren't worth the depth they provide. I can't really see what we could offer to Freo that would convince them not to match. Reid and Jones plus this and next years 1st rounder? I dunno I just can't see us going for Fyfe, I don't think we will have the cap space, I don't think there is an offer we can make that will be mutually beneficial and I don't think Fyfe fills a need for us. Depth on strong inside mids with great contested marking is kind of covered, even if he is the very best in the business at that. The only way he comes our way is if he signs a one year contract at freo and then comes as a free agent on less than he is worth.

We are having serious salary cap problems as a result of high priced recruits. Why would we go after another one?

So that we can maintain the serious salary cap problems that we have had for the last 20 years, due to having the ability to attract big names to our club.

Yes, and lose important players as well. We lost players like Mumford and Mitchell, and if we went after Fyfe the problem is only going to get worse.
I'd give up Mumford and Mitchell for Buddy every day of the week no hesitation at all, I'd also have no hesitation in giving up Jones and Reid for Fyfe. We win with the recruitment of the gun player then back in our uncanny ability to develop players or draft castaways who are able step up to fill the gaps left by the departing players.

I'd give up Mumford and Mitchell for Buddy every day of the week no hesitation at all, I'd also have no hesitation in giving up Jones and Reid for Fyfe. We win with the recruitment of the gun player then back in our uncanny ability to develop players or draft castaways who are able step up to fill the gaps left by the departing players.

Premierships are not decided by the 1 to 6 players, they are decided by the 17 to 22 players and having most of your salary cap going into the 1 to 6 players almost guarantees a team having a very poor 17 to 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo fyfe stays at freo. if they have a good run with injuries, they are a big chance at top 4. We seen last year that the competition has nwver been closer.

Fyfe,neale,mundy,bennel, s hill, b hill with sandi is a very very handy midfield.

Imo fyfe stays at freo. if they have a good run with injuries, they are a big chance at top 4. We seen last year that the competition has nwver been closer.

Fyfe,neale,mundy,bennel, s hill, b hill with sandi is a very very handy midfield.
And Fyfe, Sandilands, Bennell, B Hill, Pearce, Hamling, McCarthy and Kersten were available for either none or barely any of last year. A huge number of inclusions for 2017.

Premierships are not decided by the 1 to 6 players, they are decided by the 17 to 22 players and having most of your salary cap going into the 1 to 6 players almost guarantees a team having a very poor 17 to 22.
I disagree, after recruiting Buddy and Tippet we have have made 2 grand finals and with all due respect it wasn't the 17-22 players who truly let us down on the day.

With the exception of Hawks and Cats, this kind of recruiting strategy has given us a better sustained chance of premiership success then 13 other clubs excluding Suns & Giants

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Yes, and lose important players as well. We lost players like Mumford and Mitchell, and if we went after Fyfe the problem is only going to get worse.
We don't tend to lose players unless we are prepared to lose them.
As Gillon said, "they can't have everyone" so when a much wanted player throughout the AFL chooses our club as the one he wishes to play for, you cough up a player who thinks he is worth much more than we think he is worth in our system in order to stay at the top.

So since Mummy has left we have made 2 Grand Finals. Sure, we lost, but we got there without him & when we had him for the 2012 one, it wasn't until he was subbed off that Pike took control of the ruck & was instrumental in us winning. So I dare say the coaches thought the money he was asking to stay far outweighed the benefits he was going to give up compared to bringing in a less known player on less money.
Same goes for Tom. Great player & ball winner & will be a gun for the Hawks as Mummy has been for GWS but we have more of the same with plenty upside to Tom, in that they can be positioned forward as leading marking players when resting forward, thus preserving rotations for other players.

It's just my point of view & not fact but we should all have learned by now that we are aggressive traders & list managers & more often than not, are able to accommodate any player from another club that wants to become a Swan, provided they make us a harder team to play against on game day.

Hence why I believe we are not without a big chance of landing Fyfe, should a) he choose not to stay a Docker & b) he choose that he wants to finish his career as a Swan.

Don't concern yourself too much with these type of thoughts I post RUNVS.

It is just a left field opinion.:)

No its not, I posted in another thread !

Yes it is, it is clearly generating discussion about our recruiting and list management, which is good for the board :thumbsu:

The Freo board's Fyfe free agency thread is already up to 45 pages. :drunk:

If the players 17 - 22 are newbies, they are on little coin. If they are first and second year players who become stars, then you can pay more for your best six players than other teams, and still be in flag contention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back