List Mgmt. The 2017 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals Thread (cont. in Part II)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be a mistake to get martin i think. He's 26, just hit his prime, we'd get 2 maybe 3 high grade seasons out of him and squeeze our cap a lot to do so. He will start tailing off around the same time as hanners and kennedy, and expose us to a bit of a list trough. I also think the strengths lf his game are similar to what the rest of our midfield bring. Power and s**t kicking.

It would hasten the retirement of solid clubmen like kj who play a massive role in building and maintianing our excellent club culture.

Further it would limit oppurtunities for our gun young mids, even if we were able to keep them salary wise we'd be looking at losing hewett, jones dawson, florent, newman foote (that last one is for you tedeski) etc etc.

Dusty is an excellent player, but getting him in now doesnt check the boxes. If we were going for a super high profile tsrget it woukd be kelly, he better fits the age profile and his skillset complements our midfield better. I doubt we go for any tbh.

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our club has had an infatuation with Dusty prior to him being drafted by Richmond. I don't think that has diminished.
If it's NSW he is coming to, I think the attraction to what the Swans stand for would be greater than what GWS may stand for.
The Swans are the sexiest elite sporting club in NSW now. The money Dusty can make from marketing at the Swans would be mind boggling compared to any other club in Australia. Having space in the cap is the obvious hurdle but how the hell did we get Bud after Tippett alongside Goodesy?
How much can they get from marketing ted?
Wasn't that hot on head after judd stuff?

How much can they get from marketing ted?
Wasn't that hot on head after judd stuff?

I'm not sure Punts but I have to listen to Treloar every two minutes on SEN for example & a few other blokes that get regular gigs on other programs etc. Somehow their clubs get away with a certain allowance for these side gigs but I'm thinking that Dusty just like Buddy has a distinct brand that the NSW market would love & game promotion in the NSW market is real. Correct me if I'm wrong but the AFL have a certain game promotion allowance in non traditional AFL states. Is it ambassador payments? Maybe I shouldn't use the word marketing but game promotion instead.
Have a read of this Punts. This is from 2013 when if Buddy was going anywhere, it was going to be GWS. We are a smart club when it comes to recruiting & are ahead of the game & this is why I never write anything off. As unreal as it may sound.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/buddy-must-earn-pay-as-ambassador-20130720-2qbat.html

This is how the AFL operate. They are a seriously ambiguous organisation that make things up on the run & when we took Buddy I see no reason why we wouldn't have utilised these very ambassador payments for Buddy. If it's good for GWS then the last time I looked, the Swans are also in NSW, a non traditional AFL state. I wonder if we used this as a way of paying Buddy in a certain season/s without having a good portion of the money in our cap. Up to 500K can be ambassadorial payments per season. The article even mentions that the Hawks could have somehow utilised ambassadorial payments for Buddy. The whole thing stinks & think we stuck it to them. Hence the trade ban.
Don't forget the AFL took 3 days to scour over the contract to try & stop him coming to us. We had the AFL by the balls & they have never stopped punishing us for it.
Perhaps as usual I am overdoing this but I don't see how we couldn't be paying Buddy some of this money outside the cap because not since Plugger has any player/person done more to promote the game in NSW.

If Dusty doesn't sign within the fortnight after the tigers reported increase , he is on his way

The only realistic fear I have is that he goes to the Hawks who are seriously light on their cap.
But why leave Richmond to go to Hawks. Big movements seem to predominately be from one state to another.

Let's just enjoy the prospect that we may be his club of choice. Long shot but so was Buddy.

These type of players keep us ahead of GWS when it comes to being the most recognisable AFL team in the NSW which is critical for memberships & sponsorship going forward. It will mean that the AFL will have to keep feeding GWS.

I understand he has a full time 'assistant'. When the SEN article said, "There is someone up there that might suit him and his personality", the assistant aspect sprang to mind. How do we keep a lid on his entertainment?

I'm not sure Punts but I have to listen to Treloar every two minutes on SEN for example & a few other blokes that get regular gigs on other programs etc. Somehow their clubs get away with a certain allowance for these side gigs but I'm thinking that Dusty just like Buddy has a distinct brand that the NSW market would love & game promotion in the NSW market is real. Correct me if I'm wrong but the AFL have a certain game promotion allowance in non traditional AFL states. Is it ambassador payments? Maybe I shouldn't use the word marketing but game promotion instead.
Have a read of this Punts. This is from 2013 when if Buddy was going anywhere, it was going to be GWS. We are a smart club when it comes to recruiting & are ahead of the game & this is why I never write anything off. As unreal as it may sound.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/buddy-must-earn-pay-as-ambassador-20130720-2qbat.html

This is how the AFL operate. They are a seriously ambiguous organisation that make things up on the run & when we took Buddy I see no reason why we wouldn't have utilised these very ambassador payments for Buddy. If it's good for GWS then the last time I looked, the Swans are also in NSW, a non traditional AFL state. I wonder if we used this as a way of paying Buddy in a certain season/s without having a good portion of the money in our cap. Up to 500K can be ambassadorial payments per season. The article even mentions that the Hawks could have somehow utilised ambassadorial payments for Buddy. The whole thing stinks & think we stuck it to them. Hence the trade ban.
Don't forget the AFL took 3 days to scour over the contract to try & stop him coming to us. We had the AFL by the balls & they have never stopped punishing us for it.
Perhaps as usual I am overdoing this but I don't see how we couldn't be paying Buddy some of this money outside the cap because not since Plugger has any player/person done more to promote the game in NSW.

Goodes was an ambassador and earned quite a lot from that leading to complaints that led to the remarks in that article. An unfair advantage for Sydney blah, blah, blah ... Then there were a lot of complaints about Hunt and Folau getting (almost?) as much from being ambassadors as from playing leading to caps being put in place? All those complaints meant Buddy was never going to be allowed an ambassador role. Dusty would not get an ambassador role at the Swans but probably would at GWS.

Eddie's media contacts ensure that Collingwood players get the gigs in the media. That and other marketing opportunities are huge in Melbourne (and also Adelaide and Perth). When we lived in Perth Chris Judd was on almost every second ad on TV and that's why he had to have that huge Visy deal to make it worthwhile moving to Carlton. Those opportunities are just not available in Sydney or Brisbane and part of the reason why those ambassador roles were created in the first place but as soon as the Swans were seen to getting some advantage from it (Goodes) and then the over the top amounts to Hunt and Folau, the Melbourne clubs ensured limits were put in place.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodes was an ambassador and earned quite a lot from that leading to complaints that led to the remarks in that article. An unfair advantage for Sydney blah, blah, blah ... Then there were a lot of complaints about Hunt and Folau getting (almost?) as much from being ambassadors as from playing leading to caps being put in place? Dusty would not get an ambassador role at the Swans but probably would at GWS.

This is the Trade Hypotheticals thread so talking some s**t is allowed I guess & we don't want to get our hopes up regarding Dusty but we will still be a strong club if he stays at the Tigers or goes to GWS or Hawks.

Rest assured though that if he says he wants us, then we are a club that makes it happen if we want him. But we will lose players.

Geez!
We've got our hopes up now.
I hope the let down doesn't take the wind out of our sails should he not come our way.
We can't lose. We get space in our cap for a change.:D

Geez!
We've got our hopes up now.
I hope the let down doesn't take the wind out of our sails should he not come our way.
We can't lose. We get space in our cap for a change.:D
We've been into Martin ever since he was drafted. We tried everything to get him, including trying to exchange our draft picks. The club wants him.

He's 26 and only has 3 good seasons left? That's some nonsense.

No reason he can't be elite when he's 31-32

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Believe me.Dusty only has 2 good years left in him.:p

Heeney. Newman. Lloyd. McVeigh. Mills. Kennedy. Jones. Towers.
Our kicking has been better this year ...
I joked about it during the off season but getting rid of Mitchell has improved our kicking. He was terrible and doing the under and over the shoulder kicks. Never sure if he was instructed to do that by Horse but we're a lot more patient with our kicks into 50 this season

I joked about it during the off season but getting rid of Mitchell has improved our kicking. He was terrible and doing the under and over the shoulder kicks. Never sure if he was instructed to do that by Horse but we're a lot more patient with our kicks into 50 this season

This is one of the things that he was maligned for. But I think unfairly so. Clearing kicks from contests are often 50:50 kicks. Callum Mills does a few of the same sort of kicks coming out of the backline. He didnt kick it over the shoulder in space - he was usually pretty good at finding targets 30 m away and had a good eye for goal inside fifty.

If the aim of a clearance is to just clear the area (which it is sometimes) mitchell did it well. but he was always very good with the hand ball which is our preferred method of clearing from contests.

What was tricky with him was that when he, jpk and parker were all in the middle the quick kick out of the stoppage was a problem because we werent great on the spread with all three in the midfield at the same time. So if we lost the ball we would be in trouble until we created a stoppage or turnover elsewhere.

On the whole I'd prefer to have zak jones to complement the existing midfield than mitchell.

I know the whole martin thing is getting a lot of people excited, but for now I'm taking it one week at a time and we will see whether we can curb mitchell and the swan destroyers of burgoyne and hodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back