List Mgmt. The 2017 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals Thread (cont. in Part II)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Last edited by a moderator:

Might be hard now he's captain at Freo, but it didn't stop Griffen leaving the Dogs

Might be hard now he's captain at Freo, but it didn't stop Griffen leaving the Dogs
Or Judd leaving WCE

A lot of the Fyfe talk depends on Lyon still being the coach post 2017.

Just because you keep saying it, doesn't mean it will happen, I'm all for dreaming big but that's not quite how it works :p

This has nothing to do with me saying it!
Refer to Bedford's post. He absolutely relates his best form in footy to being around Brett Kirk!
Physically & spiritually.

It happens & as long as all the talk is out there about him leaving Freo, then one has to take into consideration his links to Brett Kirk as being a big factor.
Why St Kilda? Why Hawthorn?
The discussion is out there!
A long shot but if he leaves, we have the one person that can swing him our way!

A long shot but if he leaves, we have the one person that can swing him our way!
How does Kirk swing Fremantle our way? Does he magically create some trade currency or does he tank to give us a top 2 pick we can use? He's a restricted free agent and they will certainly match an offer even if we magically create salary cap room.

How does Kirk swing Fremantle our way? Does he magically create some trade currency or does he tank to give us a top 2 pick we can use? He's a restricted free agent and they will certainly match an offer even if we magically create salary cap room.
Is this a serious question?
Let's say it is!
How many teams have matched an offer thus far?
All Fyfe has to do is say he wants to become a Swan!
That will do it!

As for salary cap room, that has been "magically" happening for a few years now.
Hence such a young list suddenly.

Let's say it is!
That will do it!

As for salary cap room, that has been "magically" happening for a few years now.
They definitely won't match an offer for their 25yo captain and best player? And our salary cap which was $600k over last year and had to be cut just to meet the new restrictions in 2017?

Let's say it is!
That will do it!

Fyfe will command 1 million a season. We already pay 2 players 1.8 mil between them, not to mention the money we pay parker hanners kennedy and heeney. I would guess that's 4 million between the above mentioned 6 players.

It would be the greatest magical trick of all time if we could find a way to spread the remaining cap on 30 players and then find a spare million for fyfe.

Not happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magic happens.
Hey guys, it's a discussion forum! I'm discussing the possibilities of Fyfe at the Swans & how it can happen.

But there aren't any though.

Unless you propose a straight trade of Franklin for Fyfe.

Magic happens.
Hey guys, it's a discussion forum! I'm discussing the possibilities of Fyfe at the Swans & how it can happen.
I admire your optimism Teddy and im happy to discuss. Would you be prepared to trade mills jones and aliir who are out of contract either this year or next in order to create room for fyfe? Cause on top of retirements thats what i think would need to happen.

I feel that this thread is the most appropriate place for the Fyfe discussion...

Magic happens.
Saying Fyfe to the Swans was a 0.1% chance would be being generous.

The only way it becomes a slight possibility is if we are happy to move on 1-2 top tier players like Tippett, Parker, Hannebery, Franklin, etc.

Saying Fyfe to the Swans was a 0.1% chance would be being generous.

The only way it becomes a slight possibility is if we are happy to move on 1-2 top tier players like Tippett, Parker, Hannebery, Franklin, etc.

Sam Reid should be on that list.

Can you imagine lining up against a midfield of JPK, Hanners, Parker, Heeney, Mills & FYFE!? Holy banana buttercake balls batman!! :eek:

I highly doubt he's leaving Freo. Not only is he their captain and best player and probably just a bit too $$$'y.

He's also a WA boy who apparently loves going home whenever possible and helping out with the family business. That would become pretty much impossible if he moved to the east coast.

IF he wanted to move away from WA then I'd say we're in with as good a shot as anyone else (excluding AFL interference). There's the Kirky connection but also I believe our culture would suit him down to an absolute T. Let's be honest, we'd make room for him if he wanted to come across. Just like we made room for Bud by offloading Mummy. We'd find a way to make it happen if he wanted to join up and become a blood.

But I just can't see any realistic, factual basis to claim he is/wants to leave. The indicators are (if anything) the opposite IMO.

Can you imagine lining up against a midfield of JPK, Hanners, Parker, Heeney, Mills & FYFE!? Holy banana buttercake balls batman!! :eek:

I highly doubt he's leaving Freo. Not only is he their captain and best player and probably just a bit too $$$'y.

He's also a WA boy who apparently loves going home whenever possible and helping out with the family business. That would become pretty much impossible if he moved to the east coast.

IF he wanted to move away from WA then I'd say we're in with as good a shot as anyone else (excluding AFL interference). There's the Kirky connection but also I believe our culture would suit him down to an absolute T. Let's be honest, we'd make room for him if he wanted to come across. Just like we made room for Bud by offloading Mummy. We'd find a way to make it happen if he wanted to join up and become a blood.

But I just can't see any realistic, factual basis to claim he is/wants to leave. The indicators are (if anything) the opposite IMO.

Sinclair for Fyfe

Make it happen Sydney

I admire your optimism Teddy and im happy to discuss. Would you be prepared to trade mills jones and aliir who are out of contract either this year or next in order to create room for fyfe? Cause on top of retirements thats what i think would need to happen.

All of this would have been taken into account.
We are preparing for 2018 & 2019 now, contract wise. Many on here take the angle that we couldn't afford to sign Tom Mitchell so we lost him.
I take the angle that in our system & for what he had to offer on field, he wasn't going to be worth more than 350 - 400K with someone like Heeney & Mills biding their time until they hit the midfield, which would have depended on another midfielder not being there. So we basically had an embarrassment of riches in our midfield. Pointless allocating more money to such a player.
So that money we would have 'wasted' on Tom Mitchell, now gets allocated to Heeney & Mills for example & this wouldn't have just played out the week before they signed Heeney. Heeney's contract was more than likely taken care of once we knew Tom was off.
Improving a list means we are going to lose once much wanted players.

Tom is a ball winning one paced midfielder. No explosive pace to break through congestion. Fine if he was one of two like that in the team. We have Kennedy & Parker to do that stuff. Kennedy can play tall when forward. So can Parker with his ability to take a pack mark. Tom is purely in & under.

Heeney & Mills offer a multitude of positions in any given game.
Jones breaks the lines & will stay a Swan. Aliir too!

Tippo's money will be spare money in 2019!
Add a few retirements & we have a revolving door scenario where only the "star's" name changes.

You guys forget we no longer have a Goodes on our list. We are a club that has the ability to make cap space when we want something.

But you guys could be more than likely right in that we wouldn't be prepared to give such a player $1M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back