Should Carlton receive a priority pick?

• Yes

Votes: 70 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 296 80.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

the trend is that you are regressing not progressing - obviously all talk no coach

To say we are in a worse position from 2 years ago shows no understanding of our club then or now.

Still had more experience back then, very
little young talent.

Now we have a fair bit of younger talent and less experience.

We have some younger players emerging but it takes time. Go back and look at our list when bolts took over prior to the draft and trading period in 2015 and there’s no way you could say our list is in worse shape.

Now there is no guarantees we will be successful, but it’s the only way to do it after the position we were in.

I don’t like losing, no one does but we have to stay the course.

No. It doesn't make sense.

They are on your list. They were thought to improve your list and were drafted accordingly. Bolton was coach when they were acquired.

Are you daft ?

So when assessing the task that lies ahead of a newly installed coach in building a team, you include players who were not on the roster at the time he took over ... and then you call me daft?

Bolton’s job didn’t start in round one. It started prior to round 22 the year before, when he was installed as coach.

Slow down and think for a minute son.

So when assessing the task that lies ahead of a newly installed coach in building a team, you include players who were not on the roster at the time he took over ... and then you call me daft?

Bolton’s job didn’t start in round one. It started prior to round 22 the year before, when he was installed as coach.

Slow down and think for a minute son.
The coaches coach and the cobblers cobble.

Bolton would have had next to nothing to do with the recruiting after he'd been at the club a nano second.

The coaches coach and the cobblers cobble.

Bolton would have had next to nothing to do with the recruiting after he'd been at the club a nano second.

Bolton was appointed coach before Carlton’s final match of 2015. If you’re looking for a genuine starting point that represents the task he had ahead of him in terms of developing the list, that’s the obvious starting point. If wanting to be slightly less genuine, then by all means, start from 6 months after he took the job.

They will obliterate the pies next week. Just need to tidy up a few things. 67 inside 50s on Saturday tells me they're nowhere near as bad as everyone seems to think, and that was without a ruckman!
well, they had their number one ruckman and didn't seem to obliterate the Pies. In fact, the scoreboard flattered the Blues.
Ha! I made that post on Monday...you had all week to challenge it yet you wait until a day after the game?
Everyone's an expert after the event

Bolton was appointed coach before Carlton’s final match of 2015. If you’re looking for a genuine starting point that represents the task he had ahead of him in terms of developing the list, that’s the obvious starting point. If wanting to be slightly less genuine, then by all means, start from 6 months after he took the job.
He wouldn't have told the recruiters who to select. And you talk about being genuine ?

The players at his disposal over the preseason were the players he inherited.

Unless, of course, you wear a tinfoil hat.

Ha! I made that post on Monday...you had all week to challenge it yet you wait until a day after the game?
Everyone's an expert after the event
No need to make things up mate. Go back and you’ll see I challenged it right away. In fact it was 12 mins after u posted the rubbish.

Roos was appointed as Melbourne coach in September 2013, Bolton announced as Carlton coach on 25 August 2015.

He has included the 2013 draft and trade period as part of Roos’ core players - Salem, Tyson, Vince - despite them not being on the 2013 Melbourne playing list.

He has been consistent and also included the 2015 draft and trade period for Carlton - Weitering, Curnow, McKay, Plowman, Wright - despite them on the 2015 Carlton playing list.

Tis consistent, as all those names were all part of Roos’ and Bolton’s first pre-season in charge.

Melbourne record
2012 - 4 win - before Roos
2013 - 2 win - before Roos
2014 - 4 win - Roos yr1
2015 - 7 win - Roos yr2
2016 - 10 win - Roos yr3

Carlton record
2014 - 7 win - before Bolton
2015 - 4 win - before Bolton
2016 - 7 win - Bolton yr1
2017 - 6 win - Bolton yr2
2018 - ????? - Bolton yr3

Roos took over an absolute rabble, had pure development year in yr1 when he emphasised defensive set-up. And then slowly rebuilt every year...and he completely changed the guard.

Bolton up to yr3 now, he hasn’t changed Carlton much at all from 2015...and there hasn’t been any clear overhaul and improvements to the club like Roos oversaw at Melbourne.

If Carlton win 5 or less games in Bolton yr3...aren’t they just treading water whilst Kreuzer, Simpson, Murphy, E.Curnow and Cripps continue to do the heavy lifting...just like 2015.

He wouldn't have told the recruiters who to select. And you talk about being genuine ?

The players at his disposal over the preseason were the players he inherited.

Unless, of course, you wear a tinfoil hat.

Wrong. Bolton did indeed have input re players that were to be retained and those to be delisted.

And even had he not a shred of input, it’s still far more representative of the task he had ahead of him. For example, if 12 new players come through the doors in his first months for example and another new coach had 3 players, it would be folly to suggest the first game as more representative.

Anyway, I’ll leave you to your tinfoil hats. If you can’t see the obvious, it’s just not my problem.

Wrong. Bolton did indeed have input re players that were to be retained and those to be delisted..
I never said he wouldn't have that type of input. Roos was the reason Jetta was re-rookied.

What I said was he wouldn't have told the recruiters who to recruit.

The players from the 2015 draft were part of the list he "inherited".

The argument you're peddling is stupid beyond words.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton is obviously in a far better position that where is was when Bolton first took over. He seems to have a plan to build it out.
My view is that, at this stage, they have been recruiting alot of young players or taking a bunch of players from GWS for picks hoping to find a player or two. They need a better mix of players. Guys like Rockliff should have been a priority. Even following Melbourne and Brisbane in bringing in 'leaders' like Lewis and Hodge on to the ground. It's great having plenty of high draft picks but unless they develop to their full potential, you run the risk of the past few weeks.

Some people in this thread have clearly not been following Carlton over the last few years to claim we haven't progressed. Obviously losing two of our best players in Gibbs and Docherty is gonna hinder us in the short-term.

The list of players most representative of when a coach took over, is the actual playing list as it was when the coach took over. So obvious it should not even need be said. Sorry you’re struggling with the concept.
The brand new coach had nothing to do with recruitment.

He got what he was given.

You need to learn to do footy.

He inherits the list post the draft period. He'll have input on trading, but none on drafting.

This isn't hard to comprehend.

I love the idea that we appointed a head coach and then deliberately hindered him by not letting him have a say in the drafting process.

Have a bit of a think before you start posting your own whacky theories as fact.

The fact that you two think a new coach will tell the recruiting department the names of who he wants them to draft is staggering.

In fact I'd put it up there with the dumbest posts I've seen on Bigfooty.

Congrats.

The fact that you two think a new coach will tell the recruiting department the names of who he wants them to draft is staggering.

In fact I'd put it up there with the dumbest posts I've seen on Bigfooty.

Congrats.

I dont think any coach does that. However i do think that a coach will tell the recruiters "find me a good mid who shows goal sense", or "the rebuild will focus around devrloping a fresh spine, so find me a KPF who is mobile, a ruck who can impact the scoreboard and a KPD who can read the play well".

Im curious, what sort of interview process do you think happens at a club when they are looking for a new coach? Particularly as the Carlton head honchos were interviewing for a coach to oversee a rebuild. The list had been assessed as s**t and we wanted a coach to fix it.

What do you think were the discussion points in that interview? And then we announce the coach and then you think he had no input into drafting?

Ive gotta say mate, you are a unique and individual thinker. And to follow it up with insults? Brilliant. Take a bow champ :thumbsu:

Back