Opinion The External Opinions On Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

dont like a lot of the fans. always sooking claiming they invented black and white stripes despite the fact that collingwood wore b&w before port lmao
they need their own identity. they may have been the magpies in SANFL 8000 years ago but they arent anymore and need to build their own individual afl identity instead of whinging about how their identity was 'stolen'

from a list perspective i just think theyre mediocre and none of their players excite me. there are clubs i dont mind watching but there are a few that i dont mainly adelaide, port, gold coast and melbourne

To me, Port Adelaide are a good example of an enigmatic team. They are by far the hardest team to pick when predicting 2020. They could finally live up to their potential and finish Top Four. They could have an anonymous mid-ladder season, finishing about 10th to 12th. Or they could really struggle and end up towards the bottom of the ladder.

And their form can vary wildly from week to week. One week they might beat the Eagles in Perth or smash the crap out of Richmond, and the next week they lose to poor opposition like Fremantle or the Gold Coast. You just can't ascertain which Port Adelaide will turn up.

David Koch is a terrible president. Despite that think you have a very good young list that will peak in 2-3 years - so tick for your recruiters. I think Hinkley is a pretty level-headed, mature personality to have as a coach - could do a lot worse. Think you need a better football dept though: someone in the Neil Balme mould to help mould the overall strategic direction, in an on-field sense, without the interference from Koch-head.

Absolutely no excuses for Pord Adelaide (hate the moniker Power) next season. Finals or Kinkley goes, and probably another big wig or two as well (doubt Koch goes until Port's finances and revenue streams are at healthy levels)

If Robbie Gray can somehow stay injury free and regain his Brownlow medal esque form, and Ollie Wines pulls his head in after a couple of poor seasons by his form, Port should give the top 4 a shake..

But you can't trust them with Kenny Boy as gaffer. That is the biggest knock on them. But they are certainly are in much healthier shape, list wise, than the Crows.

I've given up. Was bullish for quite a while after 2013/14 but they've been treading water since. Not going to get it down with the Gray, Ebert, Hartlett, Boak etc. generation.

Thomas, Rockliff, Ryder, Motlop, Sutcliffe, Eddy, Lycett, Watts, Trengove, McKenzie, Dixon, White have all debuted in the last 5 years at 25+. How many of those recruits are wins? Half of them are already off the list.

On the plus side they already have some good young talent coming through and just added two more first round picks. The future looks bright and they shouldn't hit a wall like recent St Kilda/North sides and need to start from the ground up. But I don't see them contending in the short term, even though on their day they can match it with anyone.

Port and the dockers seem very similar.
Port are the Fremantle of Adelaide and Fremantle are the Port of Perth!!
Were really not. We are a club that has history has won a premiership in the AFL, over 150 years old, have high membership numbers. Fremantle can’t compare themselves to us

and to claim Adelaide arethe west coast of Perth, that would be an insult to west coast. A club who hasn’t done anything since 1998

With Rozee Butters and duursma last year at 5, 12 and 18.. and having 4 picks in the top 25 this year, if the players we have selected this draft have the same impact over the coming years then we will be in a good position

Just think the AFL would be more interesting if it had followed the Port model in inviting big interstate clubs into its wings rather than newly created businesses.
Imagine an afl with Port, Norwood, East Fremantle and Southport, instead of Port, Crows, Freo and the Suns. A bit harder with WA seperating the two Perth teams, but at least East Fremantle could've been entered.
That Port are the only club to have entered shows how big the club are, and certainly deserved to retain the magpie brand and the prison bars. Their annual clash with collingwood would have enjoyed much more marketing hyp if so.

As for the current team - too few standouts. They have been like a slightly better st kilda over the last 6 years, with many B graders, instead of C graders at the Saints. A higher top level but even more inconsistency.

Just think the AFL would be more interesting if it had followed the Port model in inviting big interstate clubs into its wings rather than newly created businesses.
Imagine an afl with Port, Norwood, East Fremantle and Southport, instead of Port, Crows, Freo and the Suns. A bit harder with WA seperating the two Perth teams, but at least East Fremantle could've been entered.
That Port are the only club to have entered shows how big the club are, and certainly deserved to retain the magpie brand and the prison bars. Their annual clash with collingwood would have enjoyed much more marketing hyp if so.

As for the current team - too few standouts. They have been like a slightly better st kilda over the last 6 years, with many B graders, instead of C graders at the Saints. A higher top level but even more inconsistency.
Port v Norwood showdowns would be on another level to what port v crows are

Were really not. We are a club that has history has won a premiership in the AFL, over 150 years old, have high membership numbers. Fremantle can’t compare themselves to us

and to claim Adelaide arethe west coast of Perth, that would be an insult to west coast. A club who hasn’t done anything since 1998
The port Adelaide magpies are 150 years old. The port Adelaide power is 22 years old.

Still better than freemantle though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And so is the Williamstown football club but this thread is about the port Adelaide power.

You are being obtuse mate, anyone at this point arguing that the two clubs are unrelated is just being willfully ignorant of the facts. FWIW I don't think there needs to be two teams in the comp competing as the magpies but refusing to acknowledge our history and blocking us using a historical strip that is honestly pretty different from Collingwood's is just a bit silly to me.

You are being obtuse mate, anyone at this point arguing that the two clubs are unrelated is just being willfully ignorant of the facts. FWIW I don't think there needs to be two teams in the comp competing as the magpies but refusing to acknowledge our history and blocking us using a historical strip that is honestly pretty different from Collingwood's is just a bit silly to me.
No problems with me if you were to wear your prison bar jumper as your full time home jumper. But the club is different. And it's not a Vic thing, the same is true of Geelong, north etc. My own club celebrated its centenary in 2008, although it has existed since 1885.

With Rozee Butters and duursma last year at 5, 12 and 18.. and having 4 picks in the top 25 this year, if the players we have selected this draft have the same impact over the coming years then we will be in a good position
They'll grow together which is a positive. I expect a team with such a young developing core to be wildly inconsistent in 2020 though.

I think they have some really promising youth, but they need more. This list is mid table, and needs a few more years work at least of investing in youth to come into their prime together in 3-5 years, then they can supplement that with targeted recruiting and trading along the way.

Unfortunately it's not going to be in the period of Westhoff, Gray, Ebert Dixon. Those guys could drag them to a few more wins over the next few years, but they aren't going to be around for the potential success.

They aren't a bomb side, but without a lot more talent coming through they are in danger of being a mid table 9th-12th side for a few years.

The entire leadership off field needs a shake up to avoid that mediocrity.

I think they have some really promising youth, but they need more. This list is mid table, and needs a few more years work at least of investing in youth to come into their prime together in 3-5 years, then they can supplement that with targeted recruiting and trading along the way.

Unfortunately it's not going to be in the period of Westhoff, Gray, Ebert Dixon. Those guys could drag them to a few more wins over the next few years, but they aren't going to be around for the potential success.

They aren't a bomb side, but without a lot more talent coming through they are in danger of being a mid table 9th-12th side for a few years.

they should have traded gray to richmond

oh well

The entire leadership off field needs a shake up to avoid that mediocrity.
We have been 9-12 for the past 5 seasons.. we done with that. If it happens again next year, we have to remove our coach, CEO and chairman. Rebuild or not

I dont know what their footballing identity/brand meant to be. As a punter, no other team has frustrated me as much as Port. Hinkley and his coaches seem to have vastly different ratings of their players. And some of their team selections this year were just downright baffling. i cant remember which 1, but there was one game in particular where they had no forwards and instead of promoting frampton or marshall they bring in more defenders. it was something like 12 or 13 defenders and mostly short ones too. lol.

the biggest problem I see is the club seem to be in their own bubble and out of touch with even their own supporters. how can nearly all port fans(and media types) rate howard that highly and be disappointed in him leaving? obviously within their coaching staff some rated him highly enough to consider him captain material. while at the same time they couldn't agree if he was a back or a forward. why, when ur list isnt exactly brimming with tall KP players would you trade one whos just about to enter his prime? they need to properly explain to the fans why he was let go halfway thru a long term deal. what was his limitations or faults? why did their view of him change so rapidly in a couple of months?

the club needs to be upfront with their fans. their actions send mixed messages and it seems those in charge cant even be consistent when it comes to simple matters.

Port sold their soul when they ran out of money in 2011, and would have folded if it weren't for AFL intervention. It's similar to how the Swans sold their soul when they moved to Sydney.

Despite having a self proclaimed finance guru as their president, the club remains millions of dollars in debt. They couldn't afford to sack Hinkley last year because the AFL wouldn't allow it, thanks to their debt situation.

It's ironic how Port supporters have always called us a franchise, when their club has become the literal definition of a franchise as they are AFL controlled and will remain so indefinitely.

Meanwhile, we're set to become member controlled by 2028 and they're set to sign Hinkley for another two years. Someone in this thread mentioned Port are in no man's land as a club and they're spot on with that assessment, as Port can't afford to bottom out and do a proper rebuild like we've done and despite their ability to finish high on the ladder and make preliminary finals, they'll never seriously contend for premierships either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back