Remove this Banner Ad

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
As a Port Adelaide supporter myself, I have spent the season of 2019 through the googles of the internal perspective on our club. The short story is that it's not good. The supporter base is outraged with the lack of consequence for the club's poor results in recent years, and it doesn't help that the issues are being overlooked by the SA media. Most of us are upset, to say the least, but I would like to take this chance to ask those outside the club to share their perspective on what they see at our club at the moment. Just keep these questions in mind. What position do you think our club is in? What's good? What's bad? What's missing? IS the supporter base outrage justified or exaggerated? What do you think about the media's treatment towards Port Adelaide?​
And of course, I will affirm, there are no right or wrong answers, it's all perspective here!​

Last edited:

As a Port Adelaide supporter myself, I have spent the season of 2019 through the googles of the internal perspective on our club. The short story is that it's not good. The supporter base is outraged with the lack of consequence for the clubs poor results in recent years, and it doesn't help that the issues are being overlooked by the SA media. Most of us are upset, to say the least, but I would like to take this chance to ask those outside the club to share their perspective on what they see at our club at the moment. Just keep these questions in mind. What position do you think our club is in? What's good? What's bad? What's missing? IS the supporter base outrage justified or exaggerated? What do you think about the media's treatment towards Port Adelaide?​
And of course I will affirm, there are no right or wrong answers, it's all perspective here! (Although at least keep it legit)​

Are you a member? When is the AGM - if you cant find out google the date of last year.

Dont trust the media to have Ports interest at heart ...

I think your board etc think you’re good but you’re mediocre

Build around your young blokes that you got last year and keep adding to that, just feel you’re sort of stuck between 7-13th and have been for a while, your good is great but your bad is awful.

Genuinely think your club lacks an identity.. they are in denial that they think they are the Port Adelaide magpies... you are not.. you do not wear black and white. You are not Collingwood.

let it go..

Build an identity.. a brand. You are port power... teal white and black
I actually didn't really intend to direct this thread around the identity discussion, that alone is a separate debate. This is more about the stance the club is in right now and the media's treatment of it. I'm mostly talking about all the "professionals that turn a blind eye to the coach and board in spite of their numerous shortcomings, just to give an example.
With that said, I somewhat agree with your statement, we should spend less time complaining about our colours and more time focusing on our performance. BUT that doesn't mean we should neglect the culture and success of the old club as if it meant nothing. We own it, and we should be allowed to embrace it.

Last edited:
I thought it was a list going nowhere but 2019 changed my opinion as I really expect Duursma and Rozee to become genuine stars of the competition. Such good drafting will change Port's fortunes in time. I don't expect a great finish in 2020 but I think give some of those youngsters time to mature and they'll have the chance for success.

Port's problem is that they have a lot of B-graders but not a lot of stars.

Westhoff is a jack of all trades master of none
Dixon has never kicked 50 goals in a season
Gray has been, at times turned into a small forward for... reasons
Rockliff is meat and potatoes and not much more
Wines is a slightly better Rockliff
SPP is a slightly worse Rockliff

I don't mind Boak, but he's not one of the top 15 midfielders of the competition IMO, meaning their midfield sits behind a few other teams who are better there.

Their backline has been heralded at times for being underrated. If anything, it's overrated and IMO their backline is often undersized and not that good. They traded one of their best young defenders for... reasons.

Hinkley isn't much, but I don't think this side is top four. Maybe top eight if they all click but they rarely do, because they're a team of B-graders. I've said this before but Port remind me of Richmond in the 90s who were full of B-graders who were inconsistent.

Don’t seem to have the right mix of players most of the time. Too many half backs running around.
Skills seem pretty ordinary especially by foot. Boak, Wines, SPP, S.Gray etc chop it up.
Dysfunctional forward line. Midfield is lacking.
Hinkley seems like a big part of the problem. Gameplan seems to have gone backwards.
Offered big contracts to average players and it’s hurting the club the last few years. Star players are getting older. Rozee and duursma look amazing though. Losing Howard for not much makes no sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What position do you think our club is in? What's good? What's bad? What's missing? IS the supporter base outrage justified or exaggerated? What do you think about the media's treatment towards Port Adelaide?​
And of course I will affirm, there are no right or wrong answers, it's all perspective here! (Although at least keep it legit)​

Your position seems like trying to correct from list mistakes of a few years ago when went fully into Ryder, Dixon, Rockliff, Motlop, Watts, Trengoive, Thomas, McKenzie etc etc thinking you were much closer to a premiership than you were. Now it seems internally quickly thought you got it wrong and traded out Wingard and now Ryder etc and trying for quick re-build whilst still aiming to make finals. Robbie Gray your best player but coming to back end of his career.
Last off season did an ok job of bringing in some really nice youth but need to do more of that this draft and next, Rozee will be your best player when Gray gone. Wines in a weird time where rumours are he tried a back door way of looking to get out so not sure if everything is as happy on inside of club as a club would like to project.
Not sure Koch likes coach and other way around too.
Koch is an absolute knob to have as leader of a football club.
The old SANFL club was working class roots and this guy anything but for your AFL franchise version.
Do not know much about media treatment as live in a city where 18 clubs covered, not just two local ones. So they do not stand out but any talk of them seems balanced as no one here has any real strong passion for or against them. Within Adelaide little fish bowl I am sure it is different but you asked about outside so given mine.
Best thing can do as a club any time soon is find a better leader to run club than Koch. A real football person.
Hinkley seems ok as a coach but maybe tired of your club internal bickering from Koch regime.
Middle of ladder or a little higher is where you should be.
Got to keep working on building a better list from elite youth as doubt you will be a genuine contender in little time Gray will have left.
As long as your club is honest with where they think their list is at, fans should be patient if they keep drafting good youth like last draft period.

As for the club beyond the list there seems an internal identity crisis to some degree.
On one hand you got little kids that grew up and barracked for a local club in Adelaide that is called Port Power and then you have a much older generation that tried to follow them as if it was the same football club from SANFL and want the identity to be as such transplanted from SANFL to AFL as if exactly the same club. But the truth is it can never truly be as SANFL club and AFL club were run as different clubs and it is only more recently some bridge to unite them as one club and make Port Adelaide Magpies in SANFL their true reserve team to try to be seen as one and pretend how it started out as different was not what happened. If they had been allowed to come in as Port Adelaide straight out of SANFL in 1991 it would have been truly the same club. That internal identity for some that want it be one club and pretend it always been one club still can be seen from outside. But some of the older fans that followed SANFL club never fully embraced Port Power franchise as their same club and some recent generations seem to not care what the older types harp for and happy enough with just being seen as Port Power. I'm sure many are more in between and just want to be one happy family club there. You cannot undo what was done in middle 90's and got to create a future for what it is. The truth from an outsider is I seen them as spin off of the SANFL football club because Port Power would not have come into being without the SANFL club wanting a Port Adelaide brand in a bigger league. So it seems this decade has been to unite those two clubs as one football community and club. Good luck with that and hope that identity embraces the full reality of both clubs to merge into one for this century.

Last edited:
Genuinely think your club lacks an identity.. they are in denial that they think they are the Port Adelaide magpies... you are not.. you do not wear black and white. You are not Collingwood.

let it go..

Build an identity.. a brand. You are port power... teal white and black

Exactly so.

Try as they might there is no connection to the ‘original’ club in the minds of anyone.

And I think PA Power fans feel this too.

They don’t want to admit it and that’s understandable.

Right from the very start there were huge identity problems because of the Collingwood thing.

Was never going to work out and still to this day it’s a massive issue..that can’t be rectified or change.

Stuck in no mans land fir eternity.

I personally think Koch and Hinkley should run your club until they die.

Pretty sure that's not how you spell ruin.

As an outsider the thing that stands out about Port Adelaide is that they have fallen for the age old problem of overestimating the talent on their list, and have recruited as if they are on the brink of a premiership. They aren't the first team that do this.

Off field it seems that they can't decide whether they want to just be the AFL version of the SANFL club, or a completely separate entity to the Port Adelaide Magpies. It appears this indecision is alienating both the South Australians who are die hard PA Magpie fans, and those that only follow the AFL team and not the SANFL team.

Koch is a showboat who has never cut the mustard with footy fans.
Hinkley is a fraud, nothing worse than a bloke who talks tough who wasn’t.
They need to be Port Adelaide.
They need the prison bars not this gimmicky Power crap.
They should have and use the proud history of Port Adelaide Football Club, a REAL football club as against the plastic fabricated cross town franchise.
I guess those 3 points kinda say that they need to get fair dinkum and give the supporters what they really need to fully embrace and invest themselves in.
Onfield, the sugar hit recruitment spree of a few years ago probably reflected the above leadership ... not fair dinkum.
More recently, unloading “the Chad” for good young talent was a far better philosophy and if for whatever reason Wines and any others want out or are not fully committed, the same strategy should be invoked.
Port Adelaide Football Club, like Collingwood, Richmond, Geelong, should be a proud respected opponent.
They just need to get fair dinkum ...

The only way the Howard trade makes sense is if he dropped a deuce in Ken's cereal. Yes, Howard was dropped, but I think Hinkley picks favorites like Brad Scott making his exclusion meaningless.

Ryder wasn't as needed as they had Lycett, but that's on the list management staff. And they still got robbed. According to the AFL draft calculator, the saints got both players to the equivalent of pick 22.

I don't think Port's problems have anything to do with identify, colours, name etc. This is the kind of stuff that confuses and irritates outsiders and maybe some fans, but it doesn't stop you from being able to play the game. This stuff didn't stop them from being one of the best sides in the 00s. There's been plenty of sides with a clear identity who have been rubbish.

What does matter is having good coaching, good players and an effective list management strategy. They haven't had that for a while.

SA version of essendon
Lots of history
Consistently inconsistent
Amateur management
List looks good on paper, not on the field

Really good comparison. Although I do hold outhigher hopes Essendon in 2020 .

i thought Port were going to be the next big thing a few years back . I must say though that Rozee truly excites me . IMO him and Stack will be the two from last years first year players to be greats .
Go the Power . Goid luck fir 2020 .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back