Prediction The lid

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure they are.
It's a marathon, not a sprint and they have done better than what we have over the last few years.

Once more, your Geelong goggles need a good clean. Come back to reality Doc.

Speaking of goggles I expect you and your Hawthorn mates on BF have celebrated long and hard the first win of the year.
But there's a job to be done so now you're back to try and spread some gloom on the Cats board.

Fact is that Geelong has yet to beat what a would consider a top side this year. Until they can do that, I'd quell talk of premierships. If Geelong plays against a quality side, like GWS or Adelaide like they did for the first three quarters against sides like NM, Melbourne, and St. Kilda, the fourth quarter ascendancy they've been enjoying won't be enough to get them over the line. You can't get away with playing one good quarter when you're up against the competition's best, and as of yet Geelong has yet to face them.
Why is it relevant though? We had the league's best record against top sides last year and you lot continued with this line nonetheless. Until we get beaten by good sides there's no more cause for doubt than for optimism.

You didn't list us as contenders now did you. Bringing this club that you love shitting all over into it as subterfuge doesn't absolve the charge against the Eagles.

You watch, the media will be all over them this week for their flat track bully status. Contenders. lol.

Nope. I don't believe we are contenders at all and last year proves it doesn't it.
Give me one good reason why I should believe if we had it setup perfectly heading into the finals back then, just one?

At least West Coast have shown they can make it through to a grand final in recent times.
Add in Naitanui and Mitchell and I would rather pick them to do better than what we will despite sitting 3-2 by the end of the round.
Contenders they are.

Why is it relevant though? We had the league's best record against top sides last year and you lot continued with this line nonetheless. Until we get beaten by good sides there's no more cause for doubt than for optimism.

Because you're talking about premierships. You can't base a side's premiership chances off five outings against mediocre sides.

Geelong was able to beat top sides (bar Sydney) last year. Every season is different. Hawthorn would have been considered a challenging opponent last year too.

From what I've seen, Adelaide are much improved on last year, and I'm not so sure Geelong is actually playing better or worse this year than last.

If you can't get excited when your team is 5-0 and a percentage of near 150%, I don't see much point following the game. It is not just about a relentless pursuit of a Premiership (for a fan).

2009 was like that for me, I knew redemption would only come with a Grand Final win. So found the season a drain, until final siren of Grand Final day.

I am not going to go through another season like that, enjoy the wins, embrace the excitement, if we fall on our faces, oh well, at least I enjoyed it along the way.

Once more, how did that record go when it mattered the most?
About the same as six other sides that also failed to win the flag. So let's tip against them every week this season to reach absolute peak derp (if you haven't already).

Fact is that Geelong has yet to beat what a would consider a top side this year. Until they can do that, I'd quell talk of premierships. If Geelong plays against a quality side, like GWS or Adelaide like they did for the first three quarters against sides like NM, Melbourne, and St. Kilda, the fourth quarter ascendancy they've been enjoying won't be enough to get them over the line. You can't get away with playing one good quarter when you're up against the competition's best, and as of yet Geelong has yet to face them.

Im just enjoying each win at the time and their accumulation. Im also locking that lid firmly on. Its April FFS.

You can have win enjoyment and not get involved in Flag discussion. They can be mutually exclusive.

And yes, the other current top 4 sides are good. And we will face them. Who knows how it will go - but our record last year Vs Top 8 teams was pretty good.

till then, have a giggle and enjoy the wins in isolation as a GFC supporter.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expect the old "but we are realists" mantra from the half empty brigade.
Haha. Oh yes, the grab bag of non sequiturs is gaping waiting for that one to be pulled out.

The failures of Adelaide, GWS and most memorably West Coast in last year's final series don't count. Only Geelong's inability to win the Grand Final should be counted against their chances this year.

Adelaide haven't failed to perform in finals, after a good season and from a point of advantage, time after time again. GWS, in their first finals series, smashed Sydney and only just lost to the eventual premier. That's a far more laudable finals effort, again the first for that young group, than Geelong's near-loss to a cooked Hawthorn side and a smashing from Sydney at the 'G. For Geelong, these failures were just more installments in a series of finals failures coming after promising H&A records and with considerable advantage (i.e. Geelong has never played an away final under Chris Scott).

About the same as six other sides that also failed to win the flag. So let's tip against them every week this season to reach absolute peak derp (if you haven't already).

No excuses when we faced Sydney.
They were right for the picking and had a short turnaround after a bruising encounter a week earlier which saw some of their players miss or require a jab just to play us.
Even the game against Hawthorn was unconvincing. It took Hawthorn to literally hand us the victory.

No excuses when we faced Sydney.
They were right for the picking and had a short turnaround after a bruising encounter a week earlier which saw some their players miss or require a jab just to play us.
Even the game against Hawthorn was unconvincing. It took Hawthorn to literally hand us the victory.
= Geelong will never win again

#derp

Adelaide haven't failed to perform in finals, after a good season and from a point of advantage, time after time again. GWS, in their first finals series, smashed Sydney and only just lost to the eventual premier. That's a far more laudable finals effort, again the first for that young group, than Geelong's near-loss to a cooked Hawthorn side and a smashing from Sydney at the 'G. For Geelong, these failures were just more installments in a series of finals failures coming after promising H&A records and with considerable advantage (i.e. Geelong has never played an away final under Chris Scott).

Adelaide has played in 12 finals series, but not won a grand final for near 19 years?

Adelaide has played in 12 finals series, but not won a grand final for near 19 years?

In how many finals did they come in as a top 4 side? What were their winning records going into those finals? How many home finals compared to away finals did they have?

There's a difference between a side finishing 8th multiple years in a row and not having an impact in the finals, and a team finishing in the top 4 (2nd or 3rd) years on year and not doing anything in the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back