Opinion The moment you thought Bevo went off the track

Remove this Banner Ad

Round one last year. Mix that in with the handlebar moustache he rocked all year. He was just so tense.

Other small things that s**t me:

Easton Wood forward
Lewy Young ruck
Treloar half back
Bont/Dunks rucking

Last edited:

When at a preseason launch he spoke and I had no idea what he was on about
Honestly I think we’re all still a little bit blinded by 2016.

Since then, there have been many different times where he seems just totally unhinged and even a little bit strange. Now he might not be but he just doesn’t give across the impression that he’s under total control of himself and his emotions.

I feel like on a day to day basis that they’d be a lot of players feeling like they have to walk on eggshells around him.

The 2019 elimination final against GWS.
To expand on this we came into this game with all guns blazing, in form and the favourite to win and we got absolutely brutalised. There are at least 10 games like this over the past 4 years, absolute crushing losses which exposed massive flaws in the club, no other 'contender' has anywhere near as many of these as we have had. Off the top of my head there are:

• 2019 Elimination final v. Giants
  • 2020 Round 1 v. Pies
  • 2020 Round 2 v. Saints
  • 2020 v. Tigers Covid year
  • 2020 Elimination final v. Saints
  • 2021 Round 11 v. Dees
  • 2021 Round 21 & 22 v. Bombers/Hawks
  • 2021 Granny
  • 2022 Round 1 v. Dees
  • 2022 Round 4 v. Tigers
  • 2022 Elimination final v. Dockers
  • 2023 Round 1 & 2 v. Dees/Saints
  • 2023 v. Geelong, Giants, Hawks, Eagles

Continuing the outside 5 gimmick after round 2 in 2022
That was it for me too. The continual use of that tactic which allowed oppo to walk the ball inside 50 and it was never corrected over 23 rounds. Despite ditching the tactic this season some players, Smith particularly still persist with it.

2022 from day dot you could tell the defensive side of the ball was a complete disaster.

The whole not manning the mark and zoning off in the opposition's back half is a cancer that still rots through the team this year in the form of a lack of defensive intensity and zoning off the opponent when they have ball in hand. The players defend like they expect a flooded zone to bail them out. Sometimes it's there. Sometimes not.

Awful awful defensive experiment that has left terrible habits in a lot of young players.

That time Bevo stole the cow, and his friend tried to make it with the cow...

Sorry quoting John Winger again.

A club without leaders is like a foot without a big toe. And Bevo isn't always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe... Luke Beveridge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2017 for me. With weird getting weirder every year beyond. If it isn’t broken don’t fix it. bevo is an innovator, all good and well, however there have been changes to our playing style that simply don’t work, stuck with far too long.
Can’t stay ahead of the curve, when the curve kicks six unanswered goals on you every game. It feels as though he is trying to outsmart the competition. And isn’t. The innovations are failing miserably and instead of adjusting, it’s stick with it, it will work over time.

2022 from day dot you could tell the defensive side of the ball was a complete disaster.

The whole not manning the mark and zoning off in the opposition's back half is a cancer that still rots through the team this year in the form of a lack of defensive intensity and zoning off the opponent when they have ball in hand. The players defend like they expect a flooded zone to bail them out. Sometimes it's there. Sometimes not.

Awful awful defensive experiment that has left terrible habits in a lot of young players.
You have nailed it with this post.👆🏼

Lobb to full back against GWS. I've been pro bevo for a while but that was yhe dumbest decision I've seen
Wood to the Forward line whenever that was…in all seriousness, he’s unearthed some gems by doing things like that, however, I have defended him all the way but this season has been really hard to watch. 4 of last 6 lost by 7pts or less and we only needed one of them to go our way and who knows….pressure comes off, sliding doors etc

I think the repetitive “we will learn from this“ when we clearly don’t, losing games the same way every week, cheapies out the back, 3 forwards spoiling each other, strange selections have done me in

Even Bevos Brief this week looks like it’s been edited to say we will learn from this…..

2017 for me. With weird getting weirder every year beyond. If it isn’t broken don’t fix it. bevo is an innovator, all good and well, however there have been changes to our playing style that simply don’t work, stuck with far too long.
Can’t stay ahead of the curve, when the curve kicks six unanswered goals on you every game. It feels as though he is trying to outsmart the competition. And isn’t. The innovations are failing miserably and instead of adjusting, it’s stick with it, it will work over time.

Yeah the 'flexibility' mantra has been a massive fail. Pick a position for a player and develop/play them there.

The dumbest s**t we did this year was completely ruin our structure to get games into a rookie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back